What is double posting?

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have many times seen "Do not double post". What exactly is it? Is it posting twice after eachother, or posting the same thing twice.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Double posting is when the same person posts 2 posts in quick succession of each other.

Last edited:

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is also double posting

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    This is also double posting

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    And the reason double posting is considered bad is because..
    1. You don't need two posts to respond to two people, you can have multiple quotes and etc in one post.
    2. Having two or more posts in quick succession congests the page, especially if you have a large sig.
    3. The edit button exists, if you have something to add then type EDIT: then the extra stuff so people can easily see new information was added.

The only time really I'd suggest double posting is if there is a time limit for editing posts, never tried to edit an old post personally though.

Reaction score
    Damn it @Trollerbobman and @therimmer96 you beat me to it.

But yea jokes aside it's a sign of either a crappy intertubes connection, noobery or Internet Explorer. (The last two are frequently mutual)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It happens when your internet is slow or computer, or the server. Because the post isn't loading you click on the reply button again then it occurs

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    When it's a mistake use the report tool and let us know so a mod can deloort it.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    ok, maybe @DukeofRealms could have some plugin that makes it impossible to double post since it seems quite simple to implement

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    When it's a mistake use the report tool and let us know so a mod can deloort it.
    Define "deloort". I assume that it's from the action of deloorting?

;)

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    ok, maybe @DukeofRealms could have some plugin that makes it impossible to double post since it seems quite simple to implement
    Posts now an hour before the users last post (if no one has replied), will be automatically merged into one post.

Yes it is simple, but really unnecessary.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    deleting old posts get easier too. because the ratings stick. before i'd have to merge two and choose to keep the one post with the nicer rates.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    deleting old posts get easier too. because the ratings stick. before i'd have to merge two and choose to keep the one post with the nicer rates.
    Freedom over Security or Security over Freedom? I think second is against the human nature.
    Double posting is when the same person posts 2 posts in quick succession of each other.
    Then posting 1 day after another post for bumping is not be call-able double/triple posting?
    And the reason double posting is considered bad is because..
    1. You don't need two posts to respond to two people, you can have multiple quotes and etc in one post.
    2. Having two or more posts in quick succession congests the page, especially if you have a large sig.
    3. The edit button exists, if you have something to add then type EDIT: then the extra stuff so people can easily see new information was added.

The only time really I'd suggest double posting is if there is a time limit for editing posts, never tried to edit an old post personally though.
    But edits don't bump
    Should you not make a new post if your previous is much liked and you think editing would be a "mean trick" to like your new content too?
    Aren't big sigs themselves bad?

Shouldn't it be encouraged to make a new post when your previous spans a half site, is a day old and has many (5+) likes?

BTW: Posts with quotes are likely to get very long (often > my screen high which is 1080 px)

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither. -Ben Franklin

If your post has any merit it shouldn't need a bump.

And just like the bump issue, you shouldn't need to worry about merges making your posts too big or getting too many points if someone cares enough to respond. Someone responding will break any merge of your posts.

EDIT: Good questions all the same.