What can be done to make AI-Turret's actually hit stuff?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    Wow okay, I guess you might have just answered what I needed to know. Most of my turrets use 4 barrels with sperate cannon/beam computers and a decreasing beam module count for each group. I did this to force the AI not to shoot them all at once but instead fire it with slight delay to make the shots hit in different spots. This went fine for a while but seems to be broken now.
    I will try to change the setup an see what happens!

But doing this will once again make multiple barrels on any AI controlled turret a waste of energy without any benefit. I would like to see every output hit a different block randomly, like missiles already do. The way it is now is utterly useless.
    More specifically the issue is with different projectile speeds, so cannon and cannon/cannon on the same turret is fine, but different amounts of cannon/beam can cause issues.
    Additionally AI can fire multiple computers at once so if you want a multi-barrel turret without wasting power just give each barrel its own weapon gorup.

Reaction score
    More specifically the issue is with different projectile speeds, so cannon and cannon/cannon on the same turret is fine, but different amounts of cannon/beam can cause issues.
    Additionally AI can fire multiple computers at once so if you want a multi-barrel turret without wasting power just give each barrel its own weapon gorup.
    That is exactly what i did, with the exception that i varied the amount of beam slave modules. If i would do it the way you suggest, it will of course save me some power but the problem i am having with one comp and 4 outputs will still remain ..all shots would hit exactly the same spot at the same time. This AI behavior is making multiple outputs kinda useless apart from a pure style aspect.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Right now its seems that AI-Turret's (mostly cannon) can only hit big and slow-moving ships no matter what value is entered for the AI's accuracy. This is occurs because of the AI's inability to lead the target. Increasing the AI's accuracy inside the server.cfg does not seem to increase the ability to lead the target, or it's just not working due to lag at high speeds.

Either way, it defeats the purpose of turrets to act as a defense against smaller, faster ships.

While i agree that 100% AI-accuracy would be a bad thing, at the moment we have a situation where every shot either hits (big and slow) or misses (small/med and fast).

I was thinking of a solution without solely relying on spray and pray ..which i think was stated to be not viable because of the calculations that would occur and furthermore would render slow firing sniper cannons virtually useless.

Maybe one solution would be, to make turrets more inaccurate the faster they are turning. This way, slow firing turrets could hit far targets but would never be able to hit close fighters that are speeding past it, no matter how fast it can turn. To hit those pesky fighters, a big ship would have to rely on lots of small, fast firing turrets.

To adjust the accuracy of those small turrets, the ship could be deliberately fitted with less mass enhancers forcing them to turn a bit slower. This Idea would of course require mass enhancers ..or the lack of them.. to have a greater impact, on even the smallest of turrets.

But that's just my little idea how to tackle this big problem. Can somebody think of another, maybe even better solution?
    There is a trick to it to get them to be insanely powerful. But i'm not going to tell you because then you will know my secrets. ;)