What blocks do you use as decorations?

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Was just hanging around in the SMD Chat when someone mentioned using thrusters for stovetops. Pretty much everyone knows that- but that got me thinking: what blocks of the game do YOU use for what things?

I'll start by listing some off that I use.

Thruster: Stove top/burner.
    Blue paint: Water/Generic Drink. Also serves as the shower heads in my showers.
    Mmm, nothing quite quenches the thirst like a tall can of blue paint.
    Missile Tube: makes a great drain for said showers.
    Medical Cabinet: I've used the top of these to make tile floor for a bathroom, the bevels really differ it from white hull.
    Shield Capacitor: Laundry Washer/Dryer.
    Transporter Module: Food Replicator (one with metal disk on top, and another 2 blocks above it with the target looking thing on the bottom)

The_Owl

Alpha is not an excuse
    Reaction score
    White 1/4 slab+2 other coloured 1/4 slabs = bed.

Reactions: Exozen

Lukwan

Human
    Reaction score
    I don't want to throw cold water on a useful thread but...

Your Favorite Decoration Block

These threads are great but do know what what is better than two identical threads?... :eek:ne comprehensive thread. :p

Exozen

C-D SOLDIER
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I don't want to throw cold water on a useful thread but...

Your Favorite Decoration Block

These threads are great but do know what what is better than two identical threads?... :eek:ne comprehensive thread. :p
    Thanks, but it appears these two threads are not actually quite the same. While that one seemed to be for favorite ways people employ decorative blocks. This one is more focused one what decorative blocks do people use as substitutes for appliances/etc found IRL and SciFi.

Reactions: MacThule

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Long weapon block runs look like hot-plasma conduits. (* Plasma glow, audible sizzle, and roasting heat sold separately.)

The even-plating sides (normally the top and bottom faces) of the thrusters make good vents/embedded ladders/anything else that looks like regularly-spaced plates.

Similarly, the vent-looking parts of jump drives make decent vents.

The rough sides (normally the left, right, and front faces) of the thrusters make decent wiring closets and computer rack rears.

Shield capacitors (the round-looking shield blocks) make good "ventilation fans" when hidden away in shadow behind metal grille. (A useful, productive alternative to using a decoration-only fan block.)

Medical cabinets (the ones that don't have visible bottles) make good food-dispenser doors for RP kitchens/mess halls.

The front of missile tubes make good round "doors" or some kind of giant knob.

I will sometimes embed weapon computers in the floor as useful, non-armor floor plates.

Rails make interestingly industrial directional arrows. Similarly, dockers can make smaller directional arrows. Typically combined with text from a nearby display block.

As intended by the devs, light sticks make small structural elements like struts and antennae, when turned off.

Sandwiching advanced armor (or hull) between regular armor gives a kind of embedded-ladder look, especially on a vertical run.

Sometimes, rarely, I just place an activation block somewhere. It doesn't do anything. It's not connected to anything. It's just there for the fun-of-it RP interaction factor. Click.

Reactions: Exozen

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    White 1/4 slab+2 other coloured 1/4 slabs = bed.
    Try making the white slab 1/2 and you'll have a raised pillow for your beds.

I like using Damage Beams as force field "generators". Wherever I have a blue force field door, I line the edges in the walls/floors with beam modules. The blue conduit in the middle of the block matches the force field, and the metal grate texture makes it look like floor grating. Makes a really nifty effect.

I also use the business end of the damage beam modules as generic round glowie things, usually with light rods or paint cans to make cables and pillars.

Daeridanii

Detail Devil
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Honestly, I'm a display block guy. I wrote the first page of Hamlet on one of my unreleased builds. Apart from that:
    GIRDERS: The "flat" end of a girder, along with some grey armor makes a really nice floor.
    POWER REACTORS: Great in a ceiling or wall, especially behind some grates. Really give some life to otherwise static builds.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Larimar: ocean/lake water texture.
    Blue force field: holographic displays
    Pipes: lamp post base, drill press, small gun barrels
    Decorative pipe blocks with decorative switch boards: Large circuits/power plant textures
    Missile tubes or salvagers: wheels for small decorative ground vehicles
    Blast door: tank treads or conveyor belts.
    Light bar: headlights for vehicles
    Larimar capsule: Medical bay I.V. gear
    Varis Capsule: Hydroponic farming tanks
    Alloyed metal mesh: chainlink fence.
    White light rods (unlit): cables for telephone poles, and cranes
    Blue Light rods (lit): outline for "atmospheric force field".
    Thruster: smoke stack
    Ice crystal/lava: Smoke stack flame
    Ice: smoke stack exhaust/clouds
    Blue rock, roads
    Carved dolom: city pavement
    Sand: road medians
    Ingots (all ore types): cargo, before cargo system was implemented.
    A metric butt-ton of other crap that slips my mind at the moment...

Spoolooni

Token Chinese
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Pretty much what 4ce mentioned, all blocks are usable for decorations except ones that cannot be placed on specific kinds of builds like some of the gates.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    crystal capsule (any) - mood lighting, "cables"
    carved/uncarved(any) - tiles
    wood(in certain rotations) speakers
    console - air vent, table legs
    circuits -"tinted" windows
    motherboards, tiles, wallpaper,
    power/shield drain/supply - cameras, screens(with right-shifted display block text)

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Activation Gates also have a nice texture on all but one side for making floors/ceilings with.

I have a build where I'm using them as floor/ceiling panels. As in I have normal armor for the seamless texture, and then I run the activation gates down the middle to connect the lights with, off to the sides for decorations there, etc. Makes it look like you could pop a panel off to get to stuff behind it.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Back of Missile Modules with wires running into makes a nice looking "junction box" effect.
    7 Paints lined up with a crystal crag on the back and a light rod on the front can make good looking missiles.
    The sides of Push Pulse Modules that are almost completely covered by a 3/4 slab can give a nice blue trim to floors and ceilings. This can be seen on my ULTIMA Thor - Icarus-class Frigate
    I use Mass Enhancers for shower drains
    The top/bottom of Scanner Modules cane make a nice floor or ceiling texture, while also still being a functional system.
    Lastly, I like using Display Modules on my bridges to have a VR Space look as if the screens are showing the outside of the ship, as seen on my ULTIMA Thor - Icarus-class Frigate and Hippogryph-class Light Cruiser

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I like using girders for door rims.
    Carved minerals for floor in or as a border/trim to liven up other flooring material.
    Plain medical cabinet for nice, white, clean flooring tile.
    Exposed logic filled in with motherboard and some decorative computers makes a nice server room or technical room.
    I love the new LoD pipes. They make good supports for stairs, rails in halls, table legs, and, well pipes/ducts. When I use them for ducting I drop a wedge along the surface they come out of with one of the full 90-degree faces on the wall and one facing the direction the duct runs. If the duct changes direction, splits, joins another duct, re-enters a wall or some decorative equipment, I use another wedge or corner (heptas work well for junctions and splits).

I've started eliminating a lot of the decorations that end up forcing players to spend an extra 20 minutes filling BPs in MP though. So thruster stoves are cool since a ship already has thrusters, but now if the ship doesn't already have missile tubes, I'm not likely to add 1 or 2 to make a drain, I just use slabs and lighting to make it look like such features are recessed, as a sufficiently skilled builder will sometimes do IRL with our existing tech today. Makes it look clean and high tech and saves gathering of random parts on BPs if you intend for random people to ever be using your model in MP. So my favorite decor is stuff my ship is already using for function, and a limited selection of 5-10 decorative blocks used creatively throughout the ship. I find this also gives the ship more of an identity than putting a little bit of everything on it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    First time I notice the nice LOD mushrooms have. Upside down it's looking like a joystick, sortof

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    With the new textures by kupu , a power aux with vertical pipes on top make this: