What are your plans for the rails?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So I think we all can't wait for the rails to arrive.
    What are your building plans and ideas?

my plans?
    if possible I will make a carrier rack that can go back in my ship after dropping my drones.
    also some mechanism that my turrets patrol the weak spots

updated:
    I think everyone knows redshift station, if not it is a station with a circle around it
    i would let the circle rotate!
    also some logic system that puts a missile turret outside, waits long enough for it to shoot, pulls it back, and closes the door behind him :D

Last edited:

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    as far as i know nothing yet.

however I have made some assumptions. these are my own thoughts and I have no evidence to back them up so take them with a grain of salt.
    • rails block will be direction based meaning that depending on how we place it it will go in a different direction.
    • blocks directly touching rail blocks will be considered the "Platform" section and will be the part that moves
    • rail blocks will either have a context based activation "Press R" and/or logic activation
    • rail movement cycles will be in one direction meaning that while active the platform will move to the end of the rail then stop. once activated again it will move back to it starting point
    some things I'm not too sure about
    • Multi-Directional rails. basically if the Platform is moving in one direction then moves to a rail going in a different direction it will "hop" on the other rail and move in that direction
    • Rail switching. that we can switch the track that a platform is moving along so we can create elaborate rail networks
    • Platform interactions. not sure how a block placed on the platform will interact will blocks place on the mothership/station. for instance could you connect a logic block from the platform to the station?
    if anyone with more creditable info can correct me please do. I'm just as curious to know how they will work

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    as far as i know nothing yet.

however I have made some assumptions. these are my own thoughts and I have no evidence to back them up so take them with a grain of salt.
    • rails block will be direction based meaning that depending on how we place it it will go in a different direction.
    • blocks directly touching rail blocks will be considered the "Platform" section and will be the part that moves
    • rail blocks will either have a context based activation "Press R" and/or logic activation
    • rail movement cycles will be in one direction meaning that while active the platform will move to the end of the rail then stop. once activated again it will move back to it starting point
    some things I'm not too sure about
    • Multi-Directional rails. basically if the Platform is moving in one direction then moves to a rail going in a different direction it will "hop" on the other rail and move in that direction
    • Rail switching. that we can switch the track that a platform is moving along so we can create elaborate rail networks
    • Platform interactions. not sure how a block placed on the platform will interact will blocks place on the mothership/station. for instance could you connect a logic block from the platform to the station?
    if anyone with more creditable info can correct me please do. I'm just as curious to know how they will work
    I think he means what are your plans for what to build ;)

Turbolifts
    shuttle lifts
    retracting turrets
    hanger doors

you know, the generic shit :)

Reactions: aceface
    Reaction score
    I get a really sore feeling that it's only going to be usable on stations, which might be kosher for most of you lot, but not for me. I build BIG and coreing it doesn't cut for me. Probably for the same reasons the plexlifters aren't available. I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

For me, I'll be building a portable turret ring around my ships with a turret on top, to ride around and blast the heck outta them pirates. I have many, many more.

Station only? Meh. I have little need for stations. They cost too much and if I want to produce I can just land on a planet, plomp down factories and just leave. If I do build, they're very compact most of the time. So no rail plans there.

(Pretty sure it's just only in the planning stages for now, nothing being programmed yet. I'd give it till March until they start programming it in.)

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I think he means what are your plans for what to build ;)

Turbolifts
    shuttle lifts
    retracting turrets
    hanger doors

you know, the generic shit :)
    whoops didn't read that part. but speculating about the mechanics helps infer what you're going to make.

for me I think its obvious what i'll try to do with rails (if possible)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I'm going to build a ship on the rail system itself. The ship itself with be the rail platform. The magnificent hanger doors will open. Out comes my captains chair. I hop on and get in the core. It retracts. Doors close. The peasants wait outside as the ship moves back into position engulfing my core. Champagne breaks across the bow. Then I take off and leave everyone with style.

If that's possible I am doing it. Emperors seat on the dopest ship around.

Reactions: MrFURB
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    at this point there is nothing planned that would prevent it from being deployable on ships
    Ahhh yeah but, will logic on your ship be able affect logic on the rail?

Anyway, the stuff i plan on doing is landing gear, deployable super weapons, retractable turrets, hide away beds and armor that will cover weak points, think ablative armor from ST Voyager.

Reaction score
    at this point there is nothing planned that would prevent it from being deployable on ships

Make sure it doesn't change, please. I've been looking forward to the update ever since it was announced. Thank you for the info!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I like the idea of using rails to form large hanger doors and retractable turrets, as others have mentioned here. Given that these should be able to be used on ships, I guess that would give the options for rotating sections on ships for aesthetics. I'm also thinking about a weapons conveyor belt, where docking units carrying bombs (ship cores combined with warheads) could be brought in line with logic to undock the bomb and launch it with a push pulse module. Assuming that it would all work together.

Last edited:

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Cranes for the industrial part in the gatecity
    • elevators
    • other kinds of transit and stuff
    • retractable turrets both vertically and horizontally (for PD turrets and broadside turrets)
    • shield like doors (kinda like those from the clone trooper carrier from starwars)
    • conveyor belts to move around cargo container
    • random stuff like that

Deadlis

Le Chateau Autiste
    Reaction score
    The ability to elongate your favorite dickship.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Personally, when I hear "rail" in this context, I immediately think "Rail-Gun." So I'm hoping that the rail will be able to 1) move things at speed and 2) have things moving along the rail continue to move OFF the rail if not stopped. At that point my plans for rails are:

1) Rail-launched drones for super fast deployment
    2) Warhead rail-guns (to hell with your shields - BOOM!)
    3) All the other cutesie decorative stuff people are talking about.

I'm not sure, but people are talking about using rails for cargo. How would blocks be "received" at the end of that process? I don't see that being easily possible. Even if it is, railing stuff around a station is pointless - just use your shop and pull-filters on containers. If there is going to be a way for blocks to be up-taken into storage after moving along a rail, then:

4) Rail-gun supply between stations and planets (fire a stream of blocks from one station into a bay [after some test fires to determine point of arrival] on another so things don't have to be manually shipped between nearby stations or planets). I guess these could be intercepted by clever player-pirates, but hey - more power to them; they better watch their backs.

Reactions: Unnamed25

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    To paraphrase Buzz Lightyear: Motion. Motion everywhere!

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    If rails are capable of chain-railing like docks are capable of chain-docking I'm going to cry.
    Yo dawg, I heard you like trains, so I put a train on top of a train on top of a train on top of a train on top of a train on top of a train.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Drone racks with more than 1 depth. So basically 240 drones on my ship. Apart from that? Probably visually pretty stuff that moves and whatever.