Weapon range doesn't scale.

Reaction score
    well, my damage beams (3x500k arrays) can't get out of the front end of my ship. their range ends inside it.

can we have range scaling with bigger weapons? because having to ram stuff with huge ships causes immense server lag, and it doesn't make sense that they dont go out of the end.

maybe calculate the range using the length of the ship and the weapons' position from the core? so it its right at the back and you have a huge, long ship then the beams will have their default range ontop of the range needed to get through the hull of it.

Reaction score
    We should bring back the old stats system to use with the new weapons...

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Overloaderdave have you tried to select the front weapon blocks as current?
    It sounds like its the blocks furthest back in your ship that have been set to shoot the beam/projectiles.
    I think you have to press C on the weapon block you want to fire if it fires from a "wrong" block

Hope that helps to get the beams to fire outside of your ship
    also if you slave beams to another set of weapon it should enhance the max range

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    they should add a range extender effect block that increases the range of a weapon by 1km or 100%

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    Overloaderdave have you tried to select the front weapon blocks as current?
    It sounds like its the blocks furthest back in your ship that have been set to shoot the beam/projectiles.
    I think you have to press C on the weapon block you want to fire if it fires from a "wrong" block

Hope that helps to get the beams to fire outside of your ship
    also if you slave beams to another set of weapon it should enhance the max range
    I think you have to press R on the block you want the bullet/lasor to come out of. That's called setting the output.

Range is basically (well...the range) the distance the beam or bullet travels from the output. So if you have a 500m long array, and the output is somehow in the back, your bullet doesn't go all that far out of your ship. Instead, when the output is in the front, the bullet/beam just travels the distance you would normally expect.

they should add a range extender effect block that increases the range of a weapon by 1km or 100%
    You can slave a beam block to any weapon, and it will increase it's range. A full 1:1 Cannon with beam slave would give you 2km range. increasing the max of 2km would not really have much effect, since AI can only target up to 2km, and players are crap at shooting anything moving, which is further away than 1km.

Last edited by a moderator:
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I know beams increase the range of weapons but it doesn't increase by the much and two km is a bit too short

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    I know beams increase the range of weapons but it doesn't increase by the much and two km is a bit too short
    I kind of already stated that that won't do much here;
    increasing the max of 2km would not really have much effect, since AI can only target up to 2km, and players are crap at shooting anything moving, which is further away than 1km.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Scaling range will create an exponential buff on weapons.

Think if increasing damage and range linear. this will result in:
    Double weapon size = double damage AND double range
    (Even IF balanced out, at some point the advantage in placing 100.000 blocks is just too great to have a 'balance' possible.)

Its just not intended to have a weapon that uses the 'same mechanic' to outrange your weapon by 50times just because its bigger.

Think of a real gun by this.
    1 small projectile, with an explosive load propelled out, has range X
    using 10 times the explosive force does not have it 10 times the range.
    You need to increase the projectile size, and explosives amount, to get it balanced out again.

In fact you will stay in range X (maybe +-10% due to physics/air resist while flying, gravitation),
    but the 'impact damage' will rise.

That's the way I understood that, and I'm fine with it. =)

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The only way the damage beams could not get out of the front end of your ship is if you have a barrel that's 500 meters long.
    That is already absolutely ridiculous and I would recommend you downscale from that super-titan you are probably using.
    Either way, just put the emitter at the very front of your ship. Problem solved.

Reaction score
    Scaling range will create an exponential buff on weapons.
    -snip-
    - Andy
    I didn't mean exponential, it would be linear with the size of your ship.

basically Range = Shiplength + Weaponbaserange

but yeah, its too big and I crashed the nullpointer exception window with it.

Last edited:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Hm,
    so the game should compensate the 'misconception' of weapons being deep buried in the ship?

In my opinion, the weapon should just blast anything in its way, to get the output point.
    But this may lead to problems when the middle of your weapon gets broken and the 'part in the ship' starts to fire itself.

So in my opinion its okay that way,
    as its no problem to have a 50x50x50 cube of weapon blocks
    and have a 1x1 line to the front output.

- Andy

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think the issue some peoples see is a capital/titan with 2000m length and 2000m firing range looks wrong.
    Even a 1000m ship with most weapons having 1000 range does not really look futuristic.

But I think a ship should not exceed 300m (50 decks height) on most servers or you did not spent enough time for your interior deco.
    If you don't agree with above, you still have the option to play on a server with double or four times the weapon range configured.