Weapon Calculator Program

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I'm posting this here in general discussion because it just doesn't seem to fit anywhere else. It's not a mod or a skin, or anything like that it's a separate program from Starmade but intricately tied to what I personally find the most difficult aspect, Weapons... Specifically what damage does my humongo cannon do? Would it be more awesome with damage pulse? or Beams? or maybe just more AMCs?

Well to answer that I made a calculator. Just pick whichever block you have as the primary weapon, and whichever is your slave/supporting/secondary weapon (if none woops can't go there yet.. but seriously why wouldn't you add an extra weapon for awesomeness-sake?). Then you enter the number of blocks in each, you can either give it a total or give it the X,Y,Z size of the block and it'll give you a total for yah. Whack the calculate button and BOOM! (nearly-)Instant weapon info... and no need to clutter anybody's inventory space either.

It's got space for effects but at the current moment none of them are in effect( did ya get that?;) ). SO I am also posting a list of updated features i'll be adding whenever I get the time over the coming weeks, months, centuries.

Pics!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/32of2pqb1djrguj/StMdCalc1.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/y7g7jcgj3p0ev93/StMdCalc2.png?dl=0

Download link:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/hqaj8byn1j0p11d/Starmade Weapon Calculator.exe?dl=0

Future Feature Stuff:
    • Finish and Enable Effects (they're like 85% done as is)
    • Graph to see what dps would be the best for a few situations... best dps vs power consumption or vs size.. etc.
    • Anything else that is reasonably suggested by you guys/girls/space probes(?)
    • Possible conversion of C# to Java... it's meh they're really quite similar languages ( save a few important things the base level syntax is nearly identical )so it probably wouldn't be a huge deal but a few interface changes would be inevitable (and a pain).

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Looks really useful for ship design / theorycrafting. Especially once you get the effects in. :)

On an unrelated note, remove the "?dl=0" part from the end of your image links to make them work. Also the blue colour makes the text mix with the background making it hard to read.

Keep up the good work ;)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Looks really useful for ship design / theorycrafting. Especially once you get the effects in. :)

On an unrelated note, remove the "?dl=0" part from the end of your image links to make them work. Also the blue colour makes the text mix with the background making it hard to read.

Keep up the good work ;)
    Thank you, I was wondering why pics didn't work. Bah pics from dropbox are so fickle these days x)

It was actually meant to save me inventory space so I didn't have to hold 80,000 of every thing to try it all out on capital ships. But theorycrafting works too. =)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Could you modify this to show you damage VS hull and Damage VS shield. A lot of the effects modify these values and it would be very useful to know how much damage is done to each component

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Could you modify this to show you damage VS hull and Damage VS shield. A lot of the effects modify these values and it would be very useful to know how much damage is done to each component
    Already in the works! Was one of the reasons I have yet to finish the effects honestly... the other reason is laziness.. and a new-found obsession with making a drone launcher...

Reaction score
    I really look forward to messing with this stuff. Its kind of tedious and time consuming to test the weapons and their configurations in real time. This will be a great learning tool for newbies like myself

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Already in the works! Was one of the reasons I have yet to finish the effects honestly... the other reason is laziness.. and a new-found obsession with making a drone launcher...
    Nice, right now I've been adjusting them by hand to make sure my ion weapons still are capable of causing block damage. It would be much easier to just plug values into a calculator than do it all manually.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Nice, right now I've been adjusting them by hand to make sure my ion weapons still are capable of causing block damage. It would be much easier to just plug values into a calculator than do it all manually.
    I know off hand that with ion weapons the best ratio is right around 49-51%, less with pulse cause yeah ion pulse is unbelievable... Actually most of the supporting weapon types offer the best dps at around that same ratio. Will be interesting to snap some pictures of the graphs in action once I get around to it.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I know off hand that with ion weapons the best ratio is right around 49-51%, less with pulse cause yeah ion pulse is unbelievable... Actually most of the supporting weapon types offer the best dps at around that same ratio. Will be interesting to snap some pictures of the graphs in action once I get around to it.
    I Love my 2:2:1 and 3:3:2 Ion Torpedoes. Ion is such a great thing for missiles because beyond a certain amount of damage all of it is wasted anyway. Cannons are harder to tune because you want them dealing enough damage to hull in a single shot but not to much as it is wasted all the while dealing maximum shield damage. Having a tool that will let you figure out the key ratio to do exactly as much hull damage as you want will be... well kind of evil.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I Love my 2:2:1 and 3:3:2 Ion Torpedoes. Ion is such a great thing for missiles because beyond a certain amount of damage all of it is wasted anyway. Cannons are harder to tune because you want them dealing enough damage to hull in a single shot but not to much as it is wasted all the while dealing maximum shield damage. Having a tool that will let you figure out the key ratio to do exactly as much hull damage as you want will be... well kind of evil.
    Evil is doing 15-20x your already massive damage to shields. x)

No worries though, even without the graphs I can still make it so you can see damage vs shield and damage vs hull... admittedly it's very easy but that graph... so tempting.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    It crashes everytime when I try to calculate weapons + teritary effect :P

Reaction score
    Hello, i'm very interested by an updated version of your tool, have you planned to make that ? Another question, can you share the method of calcul which allowed you to do that ? Sorry for my bad english ^^.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Just wondering if this thread is still up and running and if the program is finished. I would be very interested in a completed version with effect calculation

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Just wondering if this thread is still up and running and if the program is finished. I would be very interested in a completed version with effect calculation
    There are some problems I'm having getting it up to date these days, so no it's not completed. The main issue seems to be a wacky algorithm involving largely random damage outputs. I am trying to make this as accurate as possible but w/e is going on, namely with missiles, makes it difficult to understand why some setups are = to 5 dps / block and others end up being about 6.008 dps/block.

I could simply ignore this as a bug and release a newer version, but I feel it'd be inaccurate to the current state of weapons. I'll probably do that anyways...

Effects are easy enough to do now, most of them are simple multipliers so it would take like 15 seconds to program them all. x)

When I get some more free time off work(this thursday/friday seem likely) I'll take another look at this old bird.

Reactions: Panpiper
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This hasn't been updated in a significant period of time. I would update it but it is time consuming at this point and I rarely have the time anymore. Perhaps if I find some time somewhere I may return to it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Loadout please transfer it to a goggle spreadsheet, it will be easy to help everytime it need update