Weapon Balancing

Reaction score
    I've done some testing with the lasers.
    It seems that number of blocks is everything, each additional block increases damage, speed, distance, and reload. I don't think that this should be the case.

As it stands, small weapons are completely useless. A small fighter is no match against a larger ship, especially if that ship has turrets. I'm not suggesting that a small fighter should be able to go toe to toe with a big ship, but a small ship should be able to do SOMETHING to a large ship. As it stands, the larger ship has only one disadvantage, and that's turn rate. Damage, Distance, Firing rate, projectile speed, energy reserves, shields, and core protection are impossibly in the larger ship's favor.
    I realize that this is your game and accept that you can do whatever you like, but I suggest the following changes:
    Make weapon projectile speed and reload speed independent of how many blocks are used.
    Keep damage and distance related to block count. More blocks = more damage, More blocks = more distance.
    Keep the sliders, allow us to tweak as we can now. But make the projectile speed and reload speed a % instead of a fixed number. For lasers, 100% projectile speed = 100mps, and 0% = 10 mps. 100% reload = .5 second. 0% reload = 10 seconds. Something like that. 25% for each would be around 25 mps and 2 seconds to reload.
    This will make smaller ships more viable. Sure, they still won't be able to take on the big ships, but their weapons won't be completely useless. This will also enable large ships to use smaller, more effective turrets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    its been proven to me that size does not matter.
    x y z is the key.
    small ships can follow this and be formidable.

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Thanks for the suggestion. I really like the idea of keeping speed and reload constant. There will also be stronger weapons (for the same mass) soon.

@Sky: the xyz system is no longer in action (its just block count). I didn't want to dictate the look of a ship too much with that system.