We now have cameras!

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    So did anyone else realize that the cockpit block is now called a camera? I am probably a little to excited about that.

Reaction score
    Why are you exited? Does it make much of a difference?

...Does it mean we might be getting CCTV?

Saber

3D Art Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Video Genius
    Why are you exited? Does it make much of a difference?

...Does it mean we might be getting CCTV?
    As I understand things, not likely. The cockpit-to-camera change was mostly just a rename by cal, as it more accurately reflected the function of the block. To create a working CCTV screen on a display module would mean schema would have to add in an additional rendering processes for each screen, which could cause a fair number of problems. I'm not saying it's impossible, but isn't anything that's being actively pursued.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I just now realized it and so many people have complained about it so I am mostly excited they I wont here that anymore. haha

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    As I understand things, not likely. The cockpit-to-camera change was mostly just a rename by cal, as it more accurately reflected the function of the block. To create a working CCTV screen on a display module would mean schema would have to add in an additional rendering processes for each screen, which could cause a fair number of problems. I'm not saying it's impossible, but isn't anything that's being actively pursued.
    Cutting parts out of the main screen can reduce FOV and slightly increse FPS if it's optimized.
    Non-transparent side-panels or cockpits are maybe not the prettiest thing, but could then help players with weak computers.​

Blocks inside a ship can be rendered a lot faster if viewed from the same point.
    Give each pixel a distance after which a ray from this pixel hit an object.
    Give each pixel the block and texture coordinates.
    If something changes, you only have to re-render the pixel if it is affected (a door or player appeared in-between or a light/logic block changed the color)

If you only cache which block and which position on it is hit, but not objects which can move in front of you (players...) it will be very fast.​

Reaction score
    Well, if we ain't getting no CCTV then what's all the hype about?

+ to someone modding in CCTV, I'd really find it useful and fun.