Wasn't there a ship classification system?

Reaction score
    I remember this forum had a thread that showed how ships were classified depending on size (fighter, carrier, titan etc). What happened to that? Have ship classes been done away with?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    We've all pretty much accepted that everyone has their own build styles and preferences that makes trying to force a one-size-fits-all classification system pointless.

Reaction score
    We've all pretty much accepted that everyone has their own build styles and preferences that makes trying to force a one-size-fits-all classification system pointless.
    I still think having a default one for easy point of reference is a good thing, even if individual players or factions have their own system.

Reaction score
    • Likeable Gold
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    • Thinking Positive
    For a while I've been basing my differentiation of whether a ship of mine is a corvette / frigate / destroyer / cruiser etc. on this player's personal classification system:

Ship Classification

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I still think having a default one for easy point of reference is a good thing, even if individual players or factions have their own system.
    if I remember correctly then Schine is against a default classification system.
    It's really up to the player and his/her building style and skills. The only default scheme you can follow is the small, medium, large, titan one from Schine but it does not depict class, only a loose size based system going from lenght.

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    There was this:
    Starmade Ship Showcases
    this includes an old ship classification by Bench (nothing official, there's no official ship classification), with pretty icons

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    There has been no clear majority agreement on any classification system. And I dont think there ever will be. So may your 200 meter long ships be fighters and your 187 meter long ships be carriers to carry your fighters, cause Starmade.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    There is a pretty significant difference between the classifications large, forum-presence factions use and what everyone else uses. Mostly, this is because these factions have existed for a large part of this games history, and their larger member base can draw in more materials and spend more time designing larger ships in larger quantities.

For example, most non-faction based guides will top out near 100,000, and call anything larger a titan, while factional guides may not even consider a 100,000 mass vessel a capital ship.

It's an ambiguous answer for an ambiguous question, really.

Endal

Ex Torpedo Researcher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Your best bet is Classification By Role. Sometimes this can cause a 10k mass frigate to be put next to a 100k mass frigate but it is the least subjective of most classification systems.

Reaction score
    For example, most non-faction based guides will top out near 100,000, and call anything larger a titan, while factional guides may not even consider a 100,000 mass vessel a capital ship.
    Which are the most famous/most commonly use factional guidelines?

And can starmade actually handle the size of the ships these people are building?

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    It varies between factions. I'm most familiar with my own, but I have experience with others, such as Nova Fleet Dynamics, Aethi Imperium and Vaygr.

Mass is a vague estimation. What makes up the mass is typically a more accurate way of determining what exactly a ship is - but in general, ships between ~10,000 to ~30,000 mass are considered frigates. Between ~30,000 and ~100,000, typically a destroyer, heavy frigate or the lowest echelons of cruisers. Between 100,000 and 200,000 most ships are referred to as various kinds of cruisers. Above that it varies wildly, but most consider anything above ~400,000 mass to be a titan or a rather large battleship/dreadnought.

Keep in mind, what exactly a ship is fitting can determine what it's called as much as its mass. Ships that focus more on raw offensive might are generally termed destroyers, while the all-arounders can be called frigates or cruisers. Titans are called titans solely due to how many a faction can reasonably deploy, so one faction's titan might not be a titan to another, and might even change to its own builders based on changes in manpower and economic ability.

StarMade has come leaps and bounds in the area of handling large ships. Nowadays, its typically the amount of entities and the relative power of each individual's computer. As a general rule though, I can't say I've ever seen more than approximately 2.5-3 million mass ever deployed in the same battle, with more average engagements coming in far lower, near the 1-1.5 million mass mark.

This may seem large, but keep in mind that once a faction is able to deploy large ships, they typically only deploy large ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Class your ships as whatever you like. Everyone and every faction have their own version of a ship classification systems. Just like ship pennant numbers ._.

If in doubt, it is a cruiser ))))