Warp Gates? Worm Holes :-)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The idea of matter moving faster than the speed of light has always had trouble with mechanics within fantasy when it is attempted to be explained, and even more difficult to balance in gaming rules, so I will skip such a direct approach to things. An alternate route has also been taken up within fantasy, the creation or use of tears or rifts. This concept is significantly easier to balance in the setting of Star-Made.

This idea takes several steps and a few components. First and most visually evident of this idea would be the 'Gate', the means ships enter and exit a worm hole safely. The second is the navigation computer for mapping which rifts go to what location. A non nessesary block added to this could be energy relays which would accellerate the Gateways charging speed beyond a initial cap of 50,000e/sec. These ideas are further explained below:

The Rift Gateway
    This device must be constructed with two different kinds of blocks, one block would act similar to a docking unit, which the ship wishing to jump must attach to, and another block which once placed in an array will determin how large of a ship could be sent through the Gateway. These blocks would be an addition to a player Faction station. The station would be the means the Gateway would be charged as well as determin what exit locations would be valid, this process is not instant and the charging of the Gateway only begins once the destination has been set. For a Rift to be opened, the enterance Gateway and the exit Gateway both must be owned by the same Faction, though the ship using the Gateways would only be required to be an ally of the faction, not just a member. There should also be a configurable minimum distance between gateways, defaulting to 50(?).

The Celestial Coordinator
    This device, placed within the ship not the station, will allow a docked ship select a possible destination from a list and give an estimation of the time needed to fully charge the Gateway and how long of the ship would remain within the wormhole before exiting, normally only a few seconds, minium of twelve(?), though this would increase as the Universe continues to expand.

Thoughts?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Honestly I think this would be a very revolutionary addition to the game. It would allow travel between distant sectors and possibly star systems. It could bring in the possibilities of factions having distant bases that they don\'t have to spend minutes of constant flying to get to. I personally think that this will be sorely needed on multiplayer.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    If that\'s your opinion, then post in one of the earlier of the countless threads who have suggested this already, not just the one that happened to be on the first page.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There are many versions of the same idea floating around. Why scold someone who likes the idea because they didn\'t copy paste the same message on topics they never seen before that were similar?

Reaction score
    I like the idea. However rather that choosing a list of nearbye areas and \"Charging up\" you could only pick between already created warpgates or nearbye warmholes, thus still making exploration a thing, and allowing a faction to be harder to reach by not making a warpgate in their area. Thus, the faction will not have access to warpgates themselves. That way deep space factions can still exist.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    First off, I will say this. Large ships should NOT be able to travel through warp/stargates. It would be very overpowered having a large capital ship jumping near instantly hundreds of sectors. Make them limited in size, maybe the same height and width of default docking area. That way it won\'t be massively exploited with ships, you could still take small shuttles to help you travel around at either end, but large ships wouldn\'t be able.

all these gates should also be able to link to any other gate if the coords/address is known or guessed, and that power required depends on what\'s going through, player, empty ship that\'s been pushed, ship with some in it etc.

Also with the point about deepspace factions, faction modules should also be used with the gates, but with further functions to use for different purposes. So you could have a market (if that ability is added) and allow friendly, neutral or only faction travel to it depending on need. And you could also do it so that the gate is \"locked\" to others who are not allowed. This would require a player to activate the gate, either directly thrift the gate interface, or a computer on the ship that can connect to nearby gate. It would mean the dialling player is taken as the incoming warp origin, so that it can check for factions. This feature could allow for diverse strategies in role play servers if they had \"captured\" players etc..

Reaction score
    I like this idea because it fixes the problem of having a ship just move between sectors at relativistic speeds and crashes the server if any collisions occur, though ne way to balance it is somewhat exponential power draw relative to the size of the ship, or some sort of charge up time based on ship size once its locked into the device, making it a sitting duck until the wormhole is stretched big enough for your massive fleet carrier, while all the fighters and light frigates that came before you had almost no cooldown time because they each were very small.

Reaction score
    Heh yes, I would just love to build a giant stargate... I could see this as being used in the \"later-game,\" whatever that would be in a sandbox alpha game. Coupled with a fix in obtaining credits, I\'d imagine it would be quite costly. These things would be energy costly as it is, as which should also increase with the size of the gate, which could be possibly needed to allow larger ships to go through.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t think that there should be stargates, but rather an FTL drive, which can only be used by larger ships. In any scifi movie/book ever, small fighters have never been able to FTL jump, but large carriers can.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Except for about half of them. Just saying.

As for the ftl drive, it\'s desireable, but I would prefer it combined with a warp gate system(of some sort) for sped-up travel within territories.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    It\'s just that I\'m getting annoyed with how every last single idea is suggested about once or in bad cases twice a day. They may not be copy-pastes, but few of them add anything relevant to the concept. And posting in these threads only makes it worse.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    No one has a sticked post of trying to coordinate ideas so of course only the more active and visible ones are going to be seen unless other people champion those ideas. Even you haven\'t posted links to show these other ideas which might be better or worse than my own post, but left it up to someone else to go on a mystical hunt to maybe find the one you are talking about. If you have forgotten, there isn\'t a search function here.

Reaction score
    The problem is the programming. shure moving small ships from point A to point B by teleporting is fine but what about the big 1k-10k mass ships? the bugs would be astronomical as well as the chance of lag. practicaly I could see maybe a ship with a few hundread mass passing through with only minor lag and gliching chance but realy think about it and it wouldn\'t work well. I can name quite a few glitches that could occure and here is a few.

not everything teleports

getting stuck in teleportation

not the right teleported area

losing turrets or docked ships

do I need to explain the chance of something despawning while being teleported

the chance of 2 ships going to gether and colliding causing the collision to go crazy (this might be fixable with a fixed collision program when schema decisdes to fix collision)

the list goes on but it is not practical. the idea is good but the chance that this will be successfuly pulled off is like hitting the lottery in every state at the same time 5 times in a row while winning 3 nobel prizes at the same time. it just wont happen right.

Reaction score
    After reading your post, I think it\'s an even better idea than I did before!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I disagree. It could use the same mechanic as spawning in a ship in, the game is built to determin a large enough area for it to appear in.

To protect from multiple ships being in the place at the same time the system could do a check if both gate areas are clear of intities that might cause collision. Once this check comes up clear the location is warded off, this can be seen as a plexdoor sphere like area that is closed off 125% larger than the ship jumping in.

Mechanically the ship is saved to a temporary catalog and the pilot is teleported seporately to the ship\'s coordinates. The actual visual effect is only client side, Once the ship has been re built on the other side, and the pilot teleported, the plexsphere will be removed and the ship will be removed from this temp catalog.

Each instance of using a rift from point A to point B is instanced, and not something others can interact with so no collision mid flight, just before or just after.

Reaction score
    I dont have a degree in coding but if the dev team ever wanted to they could impliment a warp system into the game.

I would personally like to see to different warp methods,

one for smaller craft which would be a warp gate that is built the same way and is similar to building a nether portal in minecraft were the shape, size, and building materials are always same and the game can recognize the shape as a portal when lit.

The second method would be a warp drive system (like a second engine) for larger ships, the system would only work if the warp drive is big enough in relation to the ships mass.

Unfortunitely the only thing that will limit what will be implimented into the finally game is balencing and what the devs can make work.

Reaction score
    the issue still resides in the catologe. I have reason to doubt that the temp catologe will do its job correctly at first. maybe later on but with the issues I\'ve seen with this catologe that is long term, to have multiple ships loading around the clock at a fast pace would cause 1 alot of lag which you didnt adress the solution to and 2 a good probability of it failing to do its job correctly. also the chance of ending in the correct coords is shaky too since, you need to agree, proper area teleportation has had problems in this game before (core exiting) plust the chance that the ship will despawn is unkown since right now the only auto despawning done in game is the full reset of a server which isnt even despawning it is just resetting. It is not that I don\'t think they can put teleporting in game it is just that the chance and likelyhood of flaws and issues that could scrap the whole idea are way too high and make me very sceptical that it would be implimented. also zemmer i doubt warp drives would be anything more than better thrusters and the speed cap uped which at that point would have the equivilent success rate with a few hundread thrusters and a server with a speed cap at 1000. I\'m not bursting anyones bubble its just that I think more practical than imaginative on a programming basis

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    I like this idea, as a method to give stations a purpose / travel large fixed distances.

say you want to get to 10,10,10 quickly. Your Faction has a Starbase there, but you are in -5,-5,-5. You could fly all the way there. You could have a second account in that station. either method requires planning or time.

If we could build a gate of sorts to fly through, which would TP us and Ship to the Destination instantly that would be cool. I think the Destination should be Fixed when entered into some special Station only Gate Control Block. You link the GateBlocks to the Computer.

The gate Blocks should also require Cloaking units levels of power from the Station. increasing the need for Power design on starbases.

The Gate Blocks and the computers should be Highest (top tier) level manufacturing items in the Factory.

There are server commands for the TP function. So the idea is, like with Plex Doors, you fly up to the Gate, Shoot with Docking laser and the Blocks will swish to open, then when you pass through them, the ship Teleports to the Destination. After a time the GateBlocks could automatically close.

You make the Volume of the Gate limited by Power Recharge

You can make the Distance limited by Power Capacity.

More Total Power required for Long Jumps, More Recharge Required to Open a Large Gate.

This make it beneficial to construct a network of smaller Gates with fixed destinations, than to make One Large Supergate that can take you anywhere. Although that would still be an interesting Meta Game right ;)

And don\'t forget that using the existing PlexDoors as an example animation - it already opens nicely and a clever texture could take advantage of that!

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    @warpdrives

the speed is limited by the server and when connection drops / bad internet occurs you may hit \"Warp Speed\" this is a Client Location synching issue.

The way most games get around this, is to make flying fast only useful in fighting, and travel is done by way of Gates or Hyperspace Jumping (micro-jump-Drives) due to sectors being much larger. This is relative so if your speed is too high, people will clip across sectors too fast for anything to load and you hit ghost anomalies etc.

Instant travel is a Teleport command, the desitination changes to prevent clipping, you will be in the right sector.

Reaction score
    I think there should be another dimension, The Warp, like the nether in minecraft, you cover distances much faster in there like 20:1, that means isntead of going 50 km/h you would go 1000 km/h

you would need a special block to enter/exit the warp, and you have to set the starting point and the destiniation coordinates, and it would consume 1 000 000 power for each 10 000 distance, it will open a gate (lasting 30 sec) at the starting point, and you have to dock to warp travel

inside the warp the shield are drained, and weapons fire random angle, rockets dont lock onto targets so warfare is impossible there

i think there should be also space station and asteroids in the warp but in a twisted unnatural form

there should be a waypoint at the exit gate and then at a location near the destination the ship would come out of the warp, without shields

i think the energy is needed to tear a hole in reality not to keep it open so i dont think energy regen should count