Warp Gate DHD using Display Modules

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This idea WarpGate Enhancements and the recent implementation to the Display modules inspired me to write this suggestion.

I've often wished for a DHD capability for our Warp Gates and today it became clear as to a quick way we could get this functionality. If Schine could integrate or incorporate the system of dialling into the new Display block functions, we could theoretically dial any gate from one gate. Thus cutting down on the need to have multiple gates in a single sector.

Example;

Perhaps two Display Modules could be used, one as a means of Identifying the gate and the other for dialling a connection to another gate.

Gate Identification
    [GateID] Stargate 1

DHD display module
    [DestGateID] Stargate 2
    [DestGateCoords] 4,4,4

The [DestGateCoords] for the target sector.
    The [DestGateID] is the ID of the gate in that sector, so you can have more than one gate in a sector.

*UPDATE*
    Forgot to add, the Display modules would be slaved or enslave the Warpgate Computer.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    i like this idea in the sense that if i build one warp gate, i can use it to jump to any warp gate i know about. and this would be a way to have hidden warp gates. no more following the warp gate line on the galaxy map. warp gates can be hidden in the fog of war, but even when the sector is scanned it would only appear as a station.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like the idea of keeping the gate hidden. It's crazy that they're visible in the map. Or maybe Schine could provide an option to make them private/public the same way we can with transporters. Perhaps use the transporter mechanic in gates or simply connect the transporter computer up as the DHD.

I think a dedicated DHD like in WarpGate Enhancements with the same functions would be better. Hopefully we can get something in the game relatively quick. I would prefer to dial a gate than have dedicated links.