Warp Cores and Other Improvements

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    If you read this, read the entire post, please.

My first suggestion is a Warp Core/ Warp Drive. There could be a block called the Warp Structure Block, costing around 2000 credits. You would build a structure with a hollow interior out of these blocks, and the larger the space on the interior, the more powerful the Core. Once the Core is a complete structure, it activates, emitting a light (possibly blue), and you can select the Core and attach it to your ship core directly. If you walk near the core in astronaut mode, it eats away at your health, and, if the Core is deleted, all of the blocks are transferred to your inventory. If a weapon destroys part of the Core, then it explodes, destroying a large part of your ship.

To use the Warp Drive, you would select the Core on your hotbar and fire while traveling at top speed in any direction. This causes you to enter Warp Mode, and your speed meter changes to a Warp Meter that looks like a speedometer. You begin at Warp 1, which is top speed, but stars are elongated automatically and all features appear stretched. If you continue accelerating, it requires more power, and raises your Warp level, all the way up to Warp 9.9. The more powerful the Core, the faster you accelerate, and, if you slow down beneath Warp 1, you exit Warp Mode.

While in Warp Mode, any waypoint you set is visible at the destination immediately, instead of showing jumps through adjacent sectors, and distance is measured in Light-Years. You can see the regular world, but cannot interact with it (e.g, you cannot collide with ships or other objects, you cannot fire weapons), and everything grows more elongated as you accelerate. You travel much faster in Warp Mode, perhaps on a scale of [every 0.1 Warp Speed = 5 speed +(previous Warp Speed Indicator x 2], all the way up to Warp 9.9 = roughly 1456.2 standard speed. At top speed, you would cross Star Systems almost instantly, crossing several sectors every tenth of a second. This would vastly improve space exploration and the way you travel across space. It is also very scientific! ;)

Another suggestion is a Particle Beam Weapon. This weapon would act like the Salvage beam, but would destroy ship pieces and be stopped by shields. It would be controlled by a Beam Computer, act like standard beams, and be colored like them, but would make a sound similar to the Covenant Cleansing Beam off of Halo Wars. This would be a cool addition to anyone's arsenal.

Also, introducing Customizable Weapons would be a good idea. You could allow users to control the sound their cannons make, control the color, and widen the beam based on total surface area, allowing it to hit more blocks but doing less damage to each individual block. You could even customize Shield color!

On the topic of Space features, most of them are good as they are, although planet gravity is a little buggy (still good, though). However, there are some things missing: Dwarf Stars (stars that are smaller than normal and have less planets), Supergiants (HUMONGOUS stars that are reddish and have very large systems), and finally, Black Holes (or Singularities, if you prefer). If you come close to a Black Hole in a sector, the stars begin to disappear, and, if you get close enough, you receive a warning. If you get closer still, you get sucked in (maybe by a gravity well), and the world elongates slowly as your ship disintegrates. You can only get out by using a Warp Core and a Lot of thrusters. This would enhance the spacey feel considerably and lessen the monotony.

Finally, you need more basic Pirate Ships. I can tell you're improving them, but pirates are no challenge for most players. You need larger Pirate Ships, maybe even Capital Ships or Flagships. You need Pirate-controlled planets or something of the sort, something to give players some challenge so that they do not focus all their energy on griefing other players and trolling them.

Thank you for reading my post. I hope I'll see some of these ideas in Starmade eventually, especially Warp Cores!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Also, some cool ambience music would be nice. It may seem a little controversial, but music has a substantial effect on the atmosphere of movies and games. Some adventurous, sci-fi-sounding music would be add considerably to the feel of the game.

As for finding such music, you could have a contest or something on the main page of starmade.org, in which people could upload music they have composed and recorded, or have made using Finale (or some other music-making program with audio). Then, you could have the public vote on the top songs based on certain qualities, like an ability to be played in the background and still sound epic, or \"ambience-ness\". The winners of the contest would have their songs featured in the game as ambience music or as specific music. An example of specific music would be playing tense-sounding battle music when your ship fires on another ship, or playing frantic, run-away type music when your own ship is fired upon (or if the ship firing is bigger and you have no chance). Again, thanks for reading.

Reaction score
    Awsome ideas.
    And what about a wormhole that will tp you to a random sector of a random star system

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    This has come up a great deal on the forums. While your idea is slightly different (I like the idea of waypoints showing direct path, not sector-by-sector) it\'s been put up a lot before.

Reaction score
    yes i did track this down elven i herd you made a post about this so.

warning word wall incoming

warp its a interesting idea the max speed limit thing will only want to make you want to go faster then it untill you cant from lag or its to fast to control. my opinon is simpley this cpu to actvate the warp feeld to put you in warp if you going 3/5 of sever max speed and have atleaset 1 warp coil on. now reason of not staying n the space we have now well 1 lag 2 colison with things at this speed will be unstopable. thsi sub space or warp space i care less about the name will let you move however fast this warp is with less lag becuse it will be compleat void (exept the waypoints and stuff for plaanits ships eck so you can do things) makeing it a safe for singleplayer and sever super fast movement. in this space i recmend we start with warp 1 being 4x max speed and each warp after adds 50 to that (on custom severs 4x may be all thats needed to get enywhare) and the mecanics of the coils are lanth = max warp 4 = warp 1, + 2 = next warp. and the core blocks another added blocks make power useage of coils more efishent and makes it so if your fighing in sub space/warp/whatever you can take more hits befor yo feeld colapses and you knocked out of warp lets say max damage you can get is mass devided by 20 and sheelds can take the damage but it will still efect the feeld (regen (wether still in sub space or after you have left it if you dont rgen in sub space) and how stong the feeld is can be influinced by warp core). and if you have a big ship then it might help to make it so your ship can exelarate to full warp aka ading more to the top/botom/sides of the coils will make you get to max worp you can get. the power takin from you reseves can be like 8x what normal trustes need plus the cpu needs power making this a medem to big ship only thing. as far as seeing other ships is consered if the ship is in sub space then its in your sights and can be efected by you and depending on your max speed lets you eather out run a atack or stay and fight (i prefer to fight aslong as i stand a chance) aswell if your takeing hits in a battle when entering warp thare a 5 secend wait before you get to warp making it so peaple can stop you from runing, and please make the elongating of the ship and flash of light if you can or eather one for a cool factor.

from a towerbilder

Reaction score
    ...What about recipe and in cubatoms...

Also the max should be defined by the maximum warp drive blocks possible.