warning server doesn't answer (5 sec) server is temporarily under high load

Reaction score
    win 8 laptop (Yes i know... The PC is a loaner till mine gets fixed.)
    8 gig ram
    64 bit OS
    NVIIA GeGorce GT 745M

I've added more ram via the launcher, i am running 64 bit java, I've updated my video card drivers as well as checked if my java versions were up to date as well as even tried decreasing nearly every setting.

This all results to the same thing.

Warning server doesn't answer (5 sec) server is temporarily under high load. (error may not be exact but close enough) in red text to the top right during game-play

Eventually the game starts ignoring events such as mining blocks or crafting items.

If i check dxdiag it says that the on-board gfx card is being loaded so I've done some research on that and it's stated that since i am using a laptop that the system only uses my Nvidia card if it needs to in order to conserve power, so i went through Nvidia control panel and forced usage of the card for Java and Javaw with little luck in better results.

So I'm at the end of my knowledge of trying to get this game to be playable, anyone dealt with this before?

Reaction score
    Is it singleplayer or multiplayer?

In multiplayer the server often gets a bit overloaded with large ships and planets and collisions, and has delays (5 seconds of lag).

I have been seeing the message pop up in singleplayer, but without any "ignoring events such as mining blocks or crafting items". In the past, it did happen though, after a few hours of playing, I just needed to exit and log back in.

Reaction score
    Go to a file called server in the starmade folder

It should look like this Capture.PNG

Then Open it up

Capture2.PNG

Then change that to a power of 2 if you don't know what that is type in 8192 or 4096.

Hope this helps,

Reaction score
    Not sure if it has helped or not since i have not played long enough to check but same problem still.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Changing
    SQL_NIO_FILE_SIZE
    is not recommended
    unless you really know what its doing.

It can make things even worse, and or disrupt autosaves.

Normally the server writes anything it has done to its DB when reaching that file limit size on the buffer.
    OR
    Auto-save happens.

This usually leads to the DB being saved and kept consistent multiple times between autosaves.
    Increasing that size, will relieve from those needed saves longer, BUT increase the auto-save lag to a risky server stalling action.

You should find the cause for that lag and check the logs for messages that are written over and over again or look like something is going wrong.
    Feel free to send me a few logs from your server, I can give you hints about the problems and possible causes then.

- Andy

Reaction score
    Which or how many of these would be helpful?

log.txt, serverlog.txt or threaddump.txt?

Apparently i forgot to hit enter on my reply almost a week ago >.<

Reaction score
    If you're not running the server separately from the client, the server log won't be useful. All relevant information should then be in log.txt.0.

Reaction score
    Hello, I know this thread is old but I just downloaded the game and am having the same problem. This is all I could find VIA the search function and I was wondering if a solution was found.

I ran the StarMade System Checker and got a pass on all tests.

Reaction score
    Be awesome to play this game, could use some help with this issue as the game is unplayable for me.
    "Warning server doesn't answer (5 sec) server is temporarily under high load."

Reaction score
    Please provide log files.
    Also, how much RAM do you have and what are the memory settings in the starter?

Reaction score
    Logs are 50+ pages.. what am I looking for?
    I have 8GB of RAM, game memory settings in started are default I haven't touched them.

Reaction score
    Not sure, probably quickly repeating messages (about physics, for instance).
    Try increasing maximum memory. This makes it easier for the JVM to manage memory, leading to a lower CPU usage.

Reaction score
    I see nothing that repeats nor' do I see anything 'weird' that appears in the logs when the error occurs.
    I adjusted the memory settings to no avail also.

Problem remains.

Reaction score
    I'm having the same issue here. Every few minutes, the warning pops up, even though I'm playing single player. Can't I just disable it?