Vote for your prefered cargo-container size!

What is your prefered cargo-container size?

• 1) Only even numbers (e.g: 2,4,6…)

• 1) Mostly even numbers (e.g: 2,4,6…)

• 1) Mostly odd numbers (e.g: 1,3,5…)

• 1) Only odd numbers (e.g: 1,3,5…)

• 1) Separate even/odd standards - I need both and them not mixed.

• Do you already have an opinion? (threads/usd-c-crane-prototype-1-0.22222)

• 2) 3x3y5z for personal

• 2) 11x9y15z sounds good

• 2) 19x11y19z

• 2) 14x14y24z

• 2) Other size

• Which size do you prefer? (click the nearest fitting size)

• 3) 5-10 blocks per axis

• 3) 8-16 blocks per axis

• 3) 11-20 blocks per axis

• 3) 15-30 blocks per axis

• 3) 20-30 block per axis

• Which aspect ratio do you prefer?

• 4) Perfect (doom)cubes of-course! (e.g: 10x10x10)

• 4) Rectangles, 2 axis share their size (e.g: 15x15x10 or 15x15x20)

• 4) Different axis sizes, ratio about 3x2y4z (or multiple of it)

• 4) Different axis sizes, ratio about 5x4y9z (or multiple of it)

• 4) No, I have my very own idea and I expect everyone to follow me, me for being me.

• What else is important for you?

• 5) RP-value (decorations and such)

• 5) Cargo-containers being exchangable for modular interior

• 5) Opinion1

• 5) Opinion2

• 5) Opinion4

• 5) ……… look at my post ………

Results are only viewable after voting.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Please vote once per section (except 5). Sections are prefixed with:
    • 1) 1 vote
    • 2) 1 vote
    • 3) 1 vote
    • 4) 1 vote
    • 5) 3 votes
    Options between them are for trolls. Or me not being able to cast multiple polls per thread.

Section 5) Option1-3 is reserved for future use. I will update the OP-post because updating the polls deletes votes.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    I was just hoping people were going to use a USD and pick what sizes would work as we played. Right now the carge compresses a lot actually.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I was just hoping people were going to use a USD and pick what sizes would work as we played. Right now the carge compresses a lot actually.
    The only issue now with USD is magnetic docking. It is very difficult to dock two USD's together because of how they're typically flush with the hull. Once they are together though, they work very well.

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The only issue now with USD is magnetic docking. It is very difficult to dock two USD's together because of how they're typically flush with the hull. Once they are together though, they work very well.
    This is a bug though. It has to do with how floating point numbers work. It requires a small overlap in the actual blocks. They should probably test for a small hit box away from the dock.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I vote for a more concise list of voting options!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yeah, deciding on a standard cargo size right now isn't a good idea. The Cargo system needs more tweaks and balancing first.
    Also, I don't think a single size will work. Different blocks will have different requirements. Different factions will have different requirements.
    A standard set of sizes would work tho. 1/4, 1/2, full cargo.
    Right now I am using a 7^3 cargo container, which gives a 5^3 cargo volume plus the storage block. I consider this my small (1/4) container.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I very much appreciate you adding my 14x14y24z cargo crate!

A 10x10x20 internal cargo volume holds a lot, and the extra space on each side can be used to make all sorts of designs and leave room for systems. (even thrust stable at full load)

Also guys the extra blocks can make them uneven on design for easier contact docking.

__/####\__
    ##########
    ##########
    ##########
    ##/----\##

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    A standard shipping container that you see stacked 12 high on a real-life sea-going freighter can be represented by 3x3x12 boxes. (Technically, the sides are shorter than 3 m, but 3m is close enough for Starmade-government work.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Section 5) Option1-3 is reserved for future use. I will update the OP-post because updating the polls deletes votes.
    I vote for a more concise list of voting options!
    I made two strawpolls for getting a more concise idea from the public.
    Generalized question about style. http://strawpoll.me/6270320

Temporary poll to gauge size/ratio http://strawpoll.me/6270345 (Will be replace with more feed back and an extra one to poll common ratios)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Ithirahad voted for the questions in-between answers :eek:
    Too many variations, don't know what to pick, I'll just go with whatever gets picked. :p
    Also guys the extra blocks can make them uneven on design for easier contact docking.

__/####\__
    ##########
    ##########
    ##########
    ##/----\##
    Same for any odd size.
    But you have to account for containers using that size.

Would you like this?
    1. 3x3y5z _ Personal _ fits through larger crew-tunnels and allows 1 block thick "painting"
    2. 15³ _ Small odd cube _ holds 75*Personal, shared multiple of 3,5 and works with build-sizes of 16³ in the server-settings
    3. 15x15y30z _ Medium _ contains an even number and holds 2* (2)
    4. 30x15y30z _ Medium _ contains mostly odd. Who will complain about an odd height at this size? Use it for thrusters, etc to manoeuvre your cargo-space.
    5. 30³ _ Large even cube _ at this size, nobody should really care about 1/30 wasted blocks.
    Most prefer mostly odd numbers or just odd numbers.
    But at any time, you can put 2 together to get an even number - it doesn't work vice versa :(

At 30³, you waste 1/30 blocks to get an odd number. But when you put 2 together, it's only 1/60 (less than 2%) - sounds fair?

1. 5) Opinion1 - YES, I support
      0 vote(s) 0.0%
    2. 5) Opinion2- I am not sure
      1 vote(s) 6.7%
    3. 5) Opinion4- NO, I don't support
      0 vote(s) 0.0%
    You are allowed to change your vote. You got 3 votes for section 5) answers - now it's time to use it.
    Unfortunately I can't add text to the answers "Option1…3"​

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    7x7x7. I am too lazy to refit my old ships that had cargo containers from before the rails update. I don't need them to fit in a USD, every hangar I have is taller than that, so I can always fit some sort of transport for them

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    7x7x7. I am too lazy to refit my old ships that had cargo containers from before the rails update. I don't need them to fit in a USD, every hangar I have is taller than that, so I can always fit some sort of transport for them
    USDs are also typically only for larger ships and not containers/shuttle/fighters. So it makes sense

Reaction score
    Currently I have two standardized containers in use, the TinCan of 19x9x9 with 15x5x5 internal volume (375m³) and a tare mass of ~50 tons, and the DoubleChest of 53x27x27 with a nominal internal volume of 20k m³ (actual volume is 47x21x21 , 20727m³) at ~1000 tons empty. Note that those are actual cubic meters, not cargo units, as we use custom config values, so multiply that times 100 for default.

Both variants have active (rail docker) attachment points on the top and bottom; the DoubleChest uses USD ports exclusively, the TinCan comes fitted with USD ports at the front and back (and could replace the single-points top and bottom with USDs if required). Logic controls are in place and can be configured to pull/not pull when attached.

Either model can stack two short to a long side, and eight TinCans can fit inside the volume of a DoubleChest, or eighteen within the same dimensions (not that it would make sense storage-wise, but it could be done). Both containers have rudimentary manoeuvring thrusters.

(note that in the first image, those are two prototype versions of the TinCan)
    Barrel and pressure tank versions are in the queue as well.

So naturally those are my preferred dimensions ;)

Last edited:
    Reactions: nightrune

nightrune

Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    The thing I like about USD is that if you build your ship right you can make adapters to connect larger or smaller containers.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • 1) 1 vote
    • 2) 1 vote
    • 3) 1 vote
    • 4) 1 vote
    • 5) 3 votes
    Options between them are for trolls. Or me not being able to cast multiple polls per thread.

Why? First, it is unlikely people will be interchanging cargo containers unless they down load someones ship such as the one I put here.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/space-hauler-grh02.3866/
    If they do then they are going to do what is needed to use that ships containers.

Most people will build their own ships and containers to fit in them.
    Lets say for whatever reason I do accept someone else's container at one of my facilities unless it is a great deal large than what is on that ship I just posted I can build a facility that can take anything smaller than it.

In real life they have different containers for different purposes this game will be no different.

I don't see the point of coming up with a standard most aren't going to abide by or have no need to abide by.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Lets say for whatever reason I do accept someone else's container at one of my facilities unless it is a great deal large than what is on that ship I just posted I can build a facility that can take anything smaller than it.
    You may end up wasting 1/3 of space -cubed. 2/3*2/3*2/3 used = 8/27 = 1/3 space efficiency.
    Just Because containers don't fit 2 in 1 space.

I think whatever the trade guild will use will be standard.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    You may end up wasting 1/3 of space -cubed. 2/3*2/3*2/3 used = 8/27 = 1/3 space efficiency.
    Just Because containers don't fit 2 in 1 space.

I think whatever the trade guild will use will be standard.
    You make a poor assumption that I have one size container space or even that I need to store it.
    What if I just run it through and empty it automatically into say a container I have or the facility. I can do that you know!
    If you need proof - http://starmadedock.net/threads/simple-automated-cargo-drone-storage-point.22342/

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Then you have to use build/reclaim on the container to build another fitting one?
    The video shows a lot of empty space for a tiny container, so I think we are not arguing about the same point.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Then you have to use build/reclaim on the container to build another fitting one?
    The video shows a lot of empty space for a tiny container, so I think we are not arguing about the same point.
    The tiny container was simply a demo setup so others could see how to put a system together that does that.
    There is no need to do a build reclaim. The container passes through the system and you simply pick it up when it is unloaded.
    You drop it off on one side and pick it up on the other. I fact there is no reason to make a warehouse to store all the containers.
    You simply need one for each ship and a system like that to unload the material to the ware house storage system itself.

You really need to stop making assumptions.
    This is my ship with my cargo container. The internal size of the container is 54*14*33 that is 2.6 Million volume.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/space-hauler-grh02.3866/
    My second cargo ship is of a different nature it uses no cargo container it simply loads and off loads into 8 permanent containers.
    http://starmadedock.net/content/space-hauler-grh01.3861/