versions 0.1XX are killing my performance??

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Well, I'm kind of at a loss. Back before 0.1 series updates were being released for testing, I used to get 100+ FPS in pretty much any situation. Stable 60fps or there abouts on 3+ million block ships was not uncommon.

My system could even handle parking 2 titans next to each other (imagine something like 2x UNSC Spirit Of Fire) and I would still be able to play the game - 18fps yes, but it was workable at the very least.

Now, I'm testing the recent updates and it seems that the performance has fallen - at least on my rig.

So, some info about my system:

MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme-4m

CPU: Intel i5 2500k 4.7ghz

RAM: Samsung NM Green 8gb @1066mhz

GPU: Twin Frozr III HD7950 3GB

PSU: STORM 700W

Strung together with windows 7 64bit.

So that about sums it up for the specs. I haven't had any trouble in the past with FPS in StarMade - and to be honest, it's a great system for any kind of a game. I'm really happy with it :3

But now, for reasons unknown, new updates seem to trample on the performance.

I tested it on my friends server: 1920x1080, fullscreen, 95 degree FOV, 20,000 segment draw, Barebone shadows, old style 64 textures, no extra background stars etc. With all that, looking at a few million worth of blocks it topped out a measly 41fps, falling to 37 periodically.

Interestingly enough, it only used 3.6gb of RAM and 30% of my CPU power.

I then maxed everything out and in the same spot FPS fell to 14. Still, only used 3.6gb ram and less than 50% CPU.

So I'm not entirely sure what the problem is. When my game starts, it gets around 130fps ish and then gradually falls with each rendered segment. It may be normal and I'm simply putting a lot of strain on the game but we have some large ships in the faction and I want to be able to use them. Normally, this also means being surrounded by smaller ships or even space stations. If this is happening now, then I won't be able to do that without reducing my game to a slide show. Which seems strange because with every update from the beginning, FPS was supposed to increase afaik.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Modder
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    The 0.1xx versions are Dev versions, they have new code in them, and so will not be the most stable builds around. Schema is ofc working on optimizing this though, ready for when the 0.1 update is released fully

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have no stability issues as far as I know. But almost all of the updates are supposed to improve the performance of StarMade. That\'s what I got from reading the changelogs etc.

EDIT:

So I switched off shadows and I am now getting a stable 120 fps around Capital ships....

I know they are supposed to be an improvement, but it seems they are a gigantic performance hog :S But now I have no shadows.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Shadows, and 20000 drawn segments should be the main stress on rendering. =)

something around 5000 will do for most computers.
    Shadows at higher quality, really impact perfomance, pushing my pc down to 20-30 fps from around 50-150. But they let you create beautiful screenshots!
    Keeping shadows off (as they werent in the game before) the perfomance increased steady from build to build on my computer.

- Andy