Venting - So hard to find a decent server

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I agree Macthule, that's why we made our own. Nearly two years later the server is still running.

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You didn't even mention the servers where the admins like to multibox alts and spawn in toys for themselves to use against players, sometimes very trollishly. Few and far between, but definitely out there, and just one more problem with finding a good server.
    soooo SS?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    soooo SS?
    I don't actually know if SS has a problem with that; have you had trouble there or heard of any? I dabble on several busy servers and like to visit any new ones that seem to have potential. Just saying it's definitely out there, and it's deeply frustrating. If the server is reasonably active, new SM players jump on assuming that if it's popular it'll be a good experience, then get burned with admin powers and probably drop the game for good thinking that's the best SM has to offer.

I recently realized that at least 1 of the admins/owners of a relatively active server these days is very likely an alts of one of the admins/owners of a deceased popular server which had a chronic problem with admin misbehavior. The M.O. is strikingly similar, and I had always kind of wondered where that crew went after they mothballed their old server.

Not everyone comes by their money honestly IRL, and there's nothing keeping a sharp-dealing real estate agent (for example) from using money swindled off of honest working joes to set up a high-end server to use as their private raping grounds just for the lulz. When I worked as a trustee, I watched shady business associates blow $70K on a single 10-day vacation one state over and rip off old ladies for their entire $400K houses and stuff. And not by spending long hours working - just showing up to a few meetings and lying hardcore then spending weeks or months just chilling on the fat stacks of cash they raked in. To some people dropping even $200-300 a month for entertainment is not even pocket change and they don't necessarily work for it. Dumping money into a server shouldn't for any reason convey any assumption of honesty or integrity.

This is a fundamental problem with public server-based multiplayer. People are conditioned to respect & trust authority figures, which admins are seen as. But admins and even server owners don't necessarily have any attachment to the long-term success or failure of this game development project. They aren't necessarily going to refrain from covertly engaging in very damaging behavior under a screen of pretense, deception and overt lies. Trolls aren't necessarily broke guys, some extremely nasty trolls are downright loaded. Even if current admin abuses are exposed, nothing stops someone with money from setting up fresh, changing all the names and faces, walking on eggshells for a bit and continuing to play their troll server game as if it's something totally new. Just like a forum troll successfully entrenching a new alt and retiring their old, reviled one.

A central Schine server or two would be extremely good for the long-term cultivation of a healthy player base, because the admins and owners would have a vested interest in providing the best possible experience for the players. Even if it was only pay-to-play.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I don't actually know if SS has a problem with that; have you had trouble there or heard of any? I dabble on several busy servers and like to visit any new ones that seem to have potential. Just saying it's definitely out there, and it's deeply frustrating. If the server is reasonably active, new SM players jump on assuming that if it's popular it'll be a good experience, then get burned with admin powers and probably drop the game for good thinking that's the best SM has to offer.

I recently realized that at least 1 of the admins/owners of a relatively active server these days is very likely an alts of one of the admins/owners of a deceased popular server which had a chronic problem with admin misbehavior. The M.O. is strikingly similar, and I had always kind of wondered where that crew went after they mothballed their old server.

Not everyone comes by their money honestly IRL, and there's nothing keeping a sharp-dealing real estate agent (for example) from using money swindled off of honest working joes to set up a high-end server to use as their private raping grounds just for the lulz. When I worked as a trustee, I watched shady business associates blow $70K on a single 10-day vacation one state over and rip off old ladies for their entire $400K houses and stuff. And not by spending long hours working - just showing up to a few meetings and lying hardcore then spending weeks or months just chilling on the fat stacks of cash they raked in. To some people dropping even $200-300 a month for entertainment is not even pocket change and they don't necessarily work for it. Dumping money into a server shouldn't for any reason convey any assumption of honesty or integrity.

This is a fundamental problem with public server-based multiplayer. People are conditioned to respect & trust authority figures, which admins are seen as. But admins and even server owners don't necessarily have any attachment to the long-term success or failure of this game development project. They aren't necessarily going to refrain from covertly engaging in very damaging behavior under a screen of pretense, deception and overt lies. Trolls aren't necessarily broke guys, some extremely nasty trolls are downright loaded. Even if current admin abuses are exposed, nothing stops someone with money from setting up fresh, changing all the names and faces, walking on eggshells for a bit and continuing to play their troll server game as if it's something totally new. Just like a forum troll successfully entrenching a new alt and retiring their old, reviled one.

A central Schine server or two would be extremely good for the long-term cultivation of a healthy player base, because the admins and owners would have a vested interest in providing the best possible experience for the players. Even if it was only pay-to-play.
    I myself and other players have had problems with two or more admins on SS. The admins were either abusing their powers to their own gain or setting up ridiculous "events" that rendered the server unplayable and then proceeded to blame the players as they didn't have to participate and that it was their fault that the server was lagging.
    The people I'm talking about know who they are and some of the better SS admins, as well as other players, also knows what I'm talking about.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Its a shame that when topics about servers and admins arise nobody rushes to say which are the good ones, guess good news is not as fun as bad.

Reaction score
    I like my server but its in australia so most of the world gets left out due to how far away we are

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Dear God, yes.

I would play on an official "Run by Schine" server in a heartbeat.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Dear God, yes.

I would play on an official "Run by Schine" server in a heartbeat.
    Then that brings up the question I know /someone/ is going to ask, how does one get access? Will it be a whitelisted server that you must own a copy of the game or will it be open for the alpha phase of the game? How often will it wipe to be fair to new players or to keep the universe fresh?

I know that would play on one but these questions will have to be answered first.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Then that brings up the question I know /someone/ is going to ask, how does one get access? Will it be a whitelisted server that you must own a copy of the game or will it be open for the alpha phase of the game? How often will it wipe to be fair to new players or to keep the universe fresh?
    I would definitely want such a server to require a full price purchase of the game.

Or maybe better yet, have server access be part of a premium package. Standard buy gets you the game and access to public user created servers. Premium buy gets you access to officially run and monitored Schine servers.

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I would definitely want such a server to require a full price purchase of the game.

Or maybe better yet, have server access be part of a premium package. Standard buy gets you the game and access to public user created servers. Premium buy gets you access to officially run and monitored Schine servers.
    no one would use the Schine server as long as there are free user made servers

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    no one would use the Schine server as long as there are free user made servers
    People still pay subscriptions for WoW when there are pirate servers available.

I'd pay an extra $20 on the box price of the game to get access to professionally run servers that have a professional moderation staff attending to them.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10

As limiting as a pay-to-win server.
    The life isn't cheap, and I (and most teenagers' parents) will never pay $20 a month just to play a "safe" server on any game. As said upper, money isn't a problem for a lot of kidding people. It's a waste of money, as you can pay food and goods that are way MORE important.
    Otherwise I understand why you thought this ;)

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    People still pay subscriptions for WoW when there are pirate servers available.

I'd pay an extra $20 on the box price of the game to get access to professionally run servers that have a professional moderation staff attending to them.
    Only a fool would pay that much money just to play a game.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Only a fool would pay that much money just to play a game.
    You mean WoW subscription or 20$ more to buy SM?

Cause 30$ for SM (the finished game) would still be really cheap compared fo most games :P

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I (and most teenagers' parents) will never pay $20 a month just to play a "safe" server on any game.
    I didn't say I'd pay that per month, I said I'd pay an extra $20 on the box price. As in if the finished game sells for $40, I'd pay $60 to get access to better servers. I might swing $5 a month for a subscription service for this game, but if I was willing to pay $20 a month on it I'd just go rent a low end server now.

But that is exactly why I'd pay an up-front premium, the worst of the bunch are the kids. Kids and teenagers are less likely to shell out more up front, so it helps weed them out of the population.

Which leaves more of us who are old enough to remember when screaming racist 14 year olds weren't considered the default internet user for online games to have some peace and quiet. :p

Nauvran

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    You mean WoW subscription or 20$ more to buy SM?

Cause 30$ for SM (the finished game) would still be really cheap compared fo most games :p
    Both.
    If you pay to get the game and then pay to play online you are one hell of a fool.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Ah I understand xD
    Mmhh not $20, but 5-10 why not... I'm not for it but I understand ;)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Both.
    If you pay to get the game and then pay to play online you are one hell of a fool.
    30$ on the BOX PRICE. Ofc you wouldn't have to pay an additional online fee as well, that'd be ridiculous.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I personally think that the shine servers should be a thing and
    A) Should require purchase of the full game *WHEN DEVELOPMENT IS DONE* eg late beta or official launch,
    B) Should NOT require an extra price,
    C) should be wiped when the game goes full launch, and
    D) should have a yearly or so wipe to keep things fresh.