Vector analysis of tactical situations in StarMade

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    it is best to continue learning through the whole of your life, not just school. if you can learn this facts from a mere game, then learn them in as fun a way as they are meant to be.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"And as I said even if he kills you in the process it\'s normal, you\'re not going to kill a capital ship with a lone fighter, lol...\"

Even if hard, it\'s actually possible at the very least not for lone fighter, but fighters squadron to deal crippling damage to a battleship, if not destroyed it utterly.

The KMS Bismark was cornered and cut down by a fleet of smaller cruisers after the lone torpedo of a single seaplane(though part of a squadron) crippled it\'s rudder, making it unable to navigate in any other way than wide circle more or less transforming one of the largest battleship of history into nothing more than a sitting duck.

Similarily, the Yamato(-the- very largest battleship in history) was not only crippled but literally sunk by a mere 6 bombs and 10 torpedoes, all carried by mere fighter-sized aircrafts.

The truth is, in real life the progresses of armor technology has always only been able to do so much against the progress of arms technology which very more often than not is unable to catch up with the ability of weapon technologies progresses to not only find means to defeat advanced armor technologies, but provide very cost effective ways to do so.

There is a reason the age of battleship more or less ended with the advent of the aircraft carrier(whose aircrafts would even be able to carry their damage dealing capacities at even greater ranges than the cannons of battleships which already could lay waste to targets miles away from them).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I don\'t think it\'s possible for the larger ship to fully maintain its velocity in the initial trajectory while turning. WASD/QE allows the ship to accelerate along each axis. By combining them while you turn, you may be able to preserve some of the speed, but velocity will certainly be lost when you are between the 45 degree intervals that the controls allow for. Therefore, if the smaller ship were to continue on a straight trajectory, he could likely overtake the larger ship before it completed its turn.

Not tested of course, this is all conjecture, but that\'s my view on the situation.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    if the ship has enough shields, and enough turrets placed correctly, then the ship will never need to turn around. if the captain of that ship is smart enough on a pvp server, then he may have a few guns aiming out the back end of his ship for his crew to use so he doesnt have to turn his mass around and lose speed. but if he does, then he should be able to use a combo of the buttons to help ease the stress of losing speed between the 45\'s by tapping the right ones at the right time to keep the speed the same in the right direction. normally what i like to do when i have a foe on my tail, i full stop and full reverse till he is in front of me. with enough thrust/weight ratio, you can do this at a rate that the fighter doesnt know what just happened.

Reaction score
    I think that a small ship, while it would be able to destroy a big ship, this also depends on the weaponry of the bigger ship besides only the navigation of both players. I doubt that a small frigate would be able to withstand the damage of some heat seeking missiles if they are fast enough to catch the ship(this depends on the server max speed). Also a ship with very big and strong turrets on all sides would also be able to destroy the smaller ship .

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    if you dont think that turrets are enough to take out even the biggest of ships, then you have not worked with enough of them at once. the same can be said for the rest of the factors i listed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    with my ship alone, i head into pirate stations and park in a position so my turrets can aim at every turret, and i go get food. my shields, my size, and my turrets are more then enough to make sure i dont take any damage. i am even staring a project to build a harvester ship the size of a planet, so i never have to worry about gravity issues again. with that being said, i am going to have to have tons of shields and turrets to defend against the hordes of pirites that are sure to star coming after me.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Due to power scaling of weapons, even before the last shield patch, an equal amount of blocks divided in smaller ships would rape a larger sinlge ship. The problem is that there is a binary condition in the form of combined dps vs shield regen.

Ideally, it should be linear but in essence, it\'s all a matter of risks vs rewards.

One small ship should not win against a large ship simply because it costs less.

However, a small ship should be able to impact a large ship enough that even though it dies, the large ship has to pay a variable cost nearly equal to the cost of the small ship.

This could be done with munitions, fuel or any other type of consumables.

Or it could be done trough some kind of vulnerability like imperfect shields(what I suggest) and the destructible turrets we already have.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i feel that with my planet scaled ship, i should be able to take on the whole of the game, due to how long it would take to kill off enough of my hull/blocks to be able to get to my core. with turrets to defend the ship while it removes planets from the game, I believe that i can ignore most of the whole of a multiplayer server with my ship. though due to the size of my weaponized face, if i do turn to face them, they are getting a planet sized shotgun blast of ions through the whole of the fleet. The bigger you build, even if you don’t have shields, the more time will be required from those who wish to do you harm while you try to ignore them. with as much time/effort/money i am putting into this monster, it better be able to survive a few capital ships trying to peck at it. inperfect shields would be nice, but i would learn how to make them stronger where they are needed to be. not to mention having a docked ship meant for large scale battle that i cane pull out if needed.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    1st of all, let\'s compare two close ship classes, like Light Fighter Class VS Corvette Class.

The first has:
    500 Blocks,
    10 Shield Blocks (3744 Capacity),
    10 Thrust Max.
    And it\'s a classic Swarmer - Fodder Ship

The other has:
    7500 Blocks Max.
    200 Shield Blocks (27391 Capacity),
    ~200 Thrust
    And it\'s a Light Support Ship, which means it\'s designed to defend against Fighters with the Balance between Weapons - Shields - Thrust & the use of \"SD BB Bunker-buster Missiles\" is meant for the physics of this game so, there is no question about comparison or about winning in a 1v1 dogfight.

And I don\'t want to mention higher class, like Frigate, Cruiser or Battleship Class \'cause all of them have turrets which don\'t care about movement... And for Titan and Deus Class... Well... 1.020.674 Shield Cap. is out of question.

Maybe Light Fighter vs Heavy Fighter Class have some comparison but also Heavy Fighter is a nice Bomber - Fodder Ship so...

But, this topic isn\'t about who is more capable in a fight but what will happen in a situation like that and how the maneuver physics of the Star-Made work.

Nice illustration by the way and excellent analysis on the matter!

Reaction score
    There is a point in which the sheer acceleration of the smaller fighter can actually overcome the angular velocity and turning rate of the ship. Though this implies that the max angular velocity of the cruiser

Reaction score
    Ships accelerate the same speed going forwards and backwards. So a large ship would just have to accelerate backwards and the smaller ship will have to fall in behind it during the pursuit... Right into the sights of the guns.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The AMCs in the game do need some tweaking. Every large ship just turns out to be a flying minigun or fully automatic shotgun. Fighters should have high rate of fire low damage and larger ships should have large damage output but notbe so much of a minigun.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    AMCs need lots of tweaking, so does the turn rate or \"small\" ships. My 147 mass fighter (heavy fighter?) takes 25 seconds to turn 360 degrees, which is friggin slow.

That first graphic is awesome, nice work.

Reaction score
    The issue with AMCs is that their diminishing returns are based on the individual AMC grouping regardless of how many blocks are on the ships. After you have the range you want, you can double your AMC damage by doubling the number of canons you have. As a result, AMC damage scales psudo-linearly and eventually outscale shielding (due to shielding\'s diminishing returns), no matter how harsh the diminishing returns are on the individual AMC groups.

You could reduce the severety of the diminishing returns on AMCs and make them based on the total number of AMC blocks on the ship rather than the individual grouping instead, but then you\'d have the issue of turrets bypassing those diminishing returns due to technically being separate ships.

Reaction score
    you are forgetting that missiles do almost no damage to shields and that that damage does not increase with the number of missile blocks

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Massive turrets facing the rear anyone? Blow it up before you even know it\'s there.

Hurray for Bobby AI turrets covering your ship :)

Or if you want something more effective (but doesn\'t look cool at all), make a flying blob thing covered with turrets, and have the thrusters on the inside.