Variable AI Intelligence

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Anyone who has tried to balance AI on a server, or who has played on many different servers knows that the current AI has two settings really; omnipotent, and totally useless. Either they hit every target square on, or they are so inaccurate that you might as well not even try.

I suggest that the "Bobby AI Module" which is long overdue for a refit concurrent with the "Fleet Command" update include a mechanism to vary its performance.
    This could easily work by changing the AI module block itself into a storage module, into which various components are installed. Under the current system, that would just be something to increase the accuracy, but there are other options if Schema is willing to code for them. There would also be a limited number of slots to work with to prevent overpowered AI.

Assume 10 slots.
    Some of these options could be:

1. Accuracy. Increases the accuracy of the AI by a certain percentage. I suggest an increase of 5% per accuracy slot, with a base accuracy 20-40%. A fully accurate AI should be pretty nearly infallible at shooting targets it responds to.

2. Detection Range
    : How far out will the AI notice other ships/Targets. I suggest a baseline that is fairly low, able to be expanded in three or four modules out to maximum player detection range. It should be impossible to have both full accuracy and full detection.

3. Initiative: Does the AI do things on its own? I suggest that base initiative should leave the AI module only attacking when ordered, or when attacked. Additional initiative chips should push it, first up to attacking hostile targets within the detection range, then attacking neutral, then attacking EVERYBODY. You probably don't need more than one of these, unless you just hate people.
    **Key Point: The ability to attach healing, power recharge, and shield recharge beams to a turret**

4. Target Modifier: Baseline AI should specifically attack ships and turrets. If you want it to attack missiles, players, or stations, you need a target modifier chip to attack that specific target. You should be able to equip multiple target modifiers, but this will take up valuable module space.
    **Key Point: Most players will probably not have a personnel target modifier on their turrets: Astronaut boarding will be MUCH more feasible**

5. Chat Module: Permits the AI to initiate a short chat command upon certain conditions. This should be able to contain variables "player name" "location" and "ship name" and transmit under conditions "Detected ship" "Attacking ship". It should be able to use a local form of chat (if that exists someday) and faction chat. This is probably the most useful and complicated piece.

6. Activation module. This will enable the AI module to use activation module blocks, for turning on police lights, or launching fighters.

If the storage/module system does not appeal, this system can easily be implemented with a simple menu accessed just like the current AI settings menu is, but I prefer the option for players to have cheaper, and less effective AI. This could also permit servers to operate custom AI ships of various behavior. All ships would have to use an AI module if they wish to operate without humans.

Now have a pretty picture of a spaceship

**EDIT**
    #7: Local AI order system: Gives order to local AI that are in range to "Attack target I am attacking" This can have advantages, and disadvantages.

#8 Evasion Chip: the AI will attempt to flee combat rather than attack a target. If you shoot this ship, it will run away rather than shooting at you.

Last edited:

Jake_Lancia

Official Source of Blame
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Community Content - Silver 2
    A customisable AI sounds epic, and it has amazing potential for fleets like you stated. But perhaps for the sake of simplicity, a simple slider system requiring no extra modules would be much more intuitive and would probably be easier to code in.
    EDIT: On another look it seems some of the options may need modules to work, so a hybrid system perhaps, using sliders for the simpler ones while having modules for special permissions like activating logic?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    This idea is interesting, but I don't see why 5 is so important. If anything, I could see players using it just to spam chat.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This idea is interesting, but I don't see why 5 is so important. If anything, I could see players using it just to spam chat.
    Well, I do hope to see it implemented AFTER some chat update permitting local chat as an option. I might even say restrict it to either local or faction chat. It is necessary for several reasons:
    1. To let the players know when they have offended or are about to be attacked by an AI (if the AI owner wishes)
    2. To let the AI owner's faction know when something of theirs is under attack
    3. To let AI ships broadcast a distress call when attacked.
    4. To generally add depth to the game by including one key (and totally missing) part of a battle- Communication!

Additionally, I would suggest that the chat be tied to certain key events, not spam-able. To spam a chat command, you would have to attack an AI, then retreat out of range of it, until it ignores you, then come back and attack it again. This process would be so time consuming as to hardly count as spam. Rather, it could be considered "Harassment" to get the player to send powerful forces to that location, as a distraction, thus enabling another military strategy.

Reactions: CyberTao
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I agree with everything except for #6, which should be default as part of the AI.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Has anyone here ever played Final Fantasy XII? You can 'program' your teammates AI using what the game called a Gambit System. Here's a video explaining it:

Basically, the AI can hold a certain number of IF statements, which the player can customize. Such as for a turret:
    IF (mother ship shield < 50%) THEN (target mother ship with shield supply beam)
    ELSE
    IF (mother ship is attacking a ship) THEN (target mother ship's target with cannon)
    ELSE
    IF (a hostile ship is within range) THEN (target hostile ship with cannon)
    ELSE
    IF (a friendly ship is within range) THEN (activate activation module at location 1,2,1)
    ELSE
    Standby

With something like this the bobby would have drop-down menus for the IF and THEN conditions, allowing a player to customize their turret/drone behavior for expected situations. More advanced AI can hold more statements, but I'm sure that 5-7 would be enough for most situations. This system could be used to make attack turrets, support turrets, ship-proximity-activated logic systems, chat systems, patrol routes or any combination (depending on what options Dev's put in the dropdowns).

It could also be used for crew, aliens, and other NPCs - and could go a long way into simulating personalities for these things.

This would need to have a way of copying AI templates that the player uses often.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would PERSONALLY love this, but for two aspects:
    First, it would require players to learn at least some rudimentary programming. (if only at a BASIC level). This does put a "Skill block" in place, and not all players would be able to access all aspects of the game without training (as it is now).

Second, it would do away with AI investment. With a storage and module system, you can have dirt cheap AI and more advanced AI in the same game, and they will have different prices. You may only WANT a basic AI for some applications, or maybe you just can't afford the advanced types. If they are upgradable, then the user has the option of how much to invest in their AI modules. Additionally, the Server owner will have the option to configure the automatically spawning pirate and merchant ships with different behaviors or "skill levels" depending on what ships they are.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ixalite , one of the features I mentioned my suggestion would need is a way to store a 'template' so that players don't have to put in the same configuration manually to a dozen different bots. By extension, some of the more basic systems could be just a click or two away for players who don't want to customize - they simply select a template from the list of server default AIs.

It doesn't necessarily do away with investment in AI systems. The number of statements available for a bobby can make a big difference in its usefulness and adaptability. Its the difference between a turret that only targets missiles and one that switches to ships if no missiles are in range, between a turret that only uses one weapon and one that switches weapon systems while the prefered system is reloading, between a turret that only has ion effect and one that switches to punch-through as soon as shields are down, between a turret that is disabled if the docking module breaks and one that turns itself into a kamikaze drone. So having a bobby with only 1 statement is much less useful than one that has 7 - particularly when we are talking about setting up a drone that flies between two waypoints, automatically follows allies, automatically attacks enemies, and then flees when shields are below 20%.

This type of behavior can be extended into pirates. Do they attack the player or shield-beam each other? Do they defend against missiles or ignore and attack? Do they retreat when shields are low? Or when the mass changes by a certain percent? Do they have a patrol route?

I do like your idea on changing accuracy and range. If my suggestion is different Bobby modules with different statement counts (Bobby Mk 1 has 1 statment, Bobby MK5 has 5 statements) then the accuracy/range/price can adjust by module.