USD 2.0 (Better for magnetic docking!)

TheOmega

The reason Deb needs meds
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This is my personal update of the Universal Standardized Docking system, made to work with the rails update.
    It's still a little screwy, because you cant really dock two ships if the docker and the rail either:

A: "Touch" the other ships docker and rail, sometimes leading to the ship you are trying to dock becoming the mother entity and

B: Not being able to dock because the surrounding blocks don't let the docker and the rail physically touch.​

This fixes both of those by having the rail extend outward one block and having a "pit" around the docker.
    The pit prevents collisions while the extension, well, also prevents collisions!

Still working out a way to have it automatically extend, probably just gonna have to be a remote, otherwise we get the same problem I redesigned this to avoid.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    what if the rail docker extends on a rail, and you can deploy it and retract it for docking?

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Because... eh... it would have to be docked to the rail, then docked to another ship. I don't think that's possible, we have already tested docking a station to a ship. Probably a similar problem.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Firstly, this would be the USD 3.0 at the very least. Secondly, I would argue this is a tad complex for a universal standard. It's functional, but takes up far too many blocks and would be quite impractical, if not impossible, to install on smaller vessels.

Though, if you move those dockers up one block, it's no longer a USD 3.0, it's a more reliably built 2.0. People can add extending rails to their 2.0s as much as they want without breaking the standard, I say we let them do that rather than try to invent a whole new standard.

TheOmega

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Thing is, I had to move the docker down a block to make it more reliable. The problem is when the docker and basic are flush, it is literally impossible to make them touch without moving fast enough to cause a collision that glitches part of the way through the block. If I didn't move it down a block there would be a hole in the floor of the corridor.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Whilst you can't really move the docker around, you could move the rail

So for instance, have them flush, but when you want to dock to something, retract the rail basic into the ship slightly, so that only the correct pair of dockers and rails can dock together