uploading gif not working

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    message up top said:
    29th of June, 2018: We've switched hosts and configurations for SMD, please report any issues. StarMade wiki is currently down, we will be bringing that back up over the next few days.
    DukeofRealms

Sure, here's an issue....I've tried to upload a couple .gif recoded in the starmade client to show some issues I've been having with the new client.
    Reproduce error:
    1. make post/thread
    2. click "upload a file"
    3. get a prompt "
      Upload a File (Max 39.1 MB):
      [browse] No File Selected [Close]
      Accepted file types:
      zip, txt, pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif, sment, rar, smtpl, smsec, log, cfg, smskin"
    4. Browse, select file, eg"D:\StarMade\starmade-gif-0000.gif"
    5. click "Open" in the filebrowser dialog
    6. Either it says "no file selected" still -or- sometimes displays the file name after 2 or more repeated uses of the "upload a file" button
    7. File doesn't start uploading, no progress bar, no attachment to the post or thread in question
    8. ???
    9. Post this thread after waiting a couple days for normal "moving pains" with switching providers.
    I'd post a screenshot of what I'm seeing but, you know, can't use the upload a file feature...

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    DukeofRealms

Sure, here's an issue....I've tried to upload a couple .gif recoded in the starmade client to show some issues I've been having with the new client.
    Reproduce error:
    1. make post/thread
    2. click "upload a file"
    3. get a prompt "
      Upload a File (Max 39.1 MB):
      [browse] No File Selected [Close]
      Accepted file types:
      zip, txt, pdf, png, jpg, jpeg, jpe, gif, sment, rar, smtpl, smsec, log, cfg, smskin"
    4. Browse, select file, eg"D:\StarMade\starmade-gif-0000.gif"
    5. click "Open" in the filebrowser dialog
    6. Either it says "no file selected" still -or- sometimes displays the file name after 2 or more repeated uses of the "upload a file" button
    7. File doesn't start uploading, no progress bar, no attachment to the post or thread in question
    8. ???
    9. Post this thread after waiting a couple days for normal "moving pains" with switching providers.
    I'd post a screenshot of what I'm seeing but, you know, can't use the upload a file feature...
    I had a similar issue when using Palemoon and Konqueror on Debian when trying to upload screenshots. Firefox worked fine. I spoke to Duke about it on the Discord. He tested the Windows version of Palemoon and didn't have any issues which left me thinking it was some Nix specific thing.
    I managed to work out that my large resolution desktop screenshots would not upload though if I reduced their resolution they'd work. I just tested gifs and yeah, same issue, gifs from my desktop won't upload but other low quality gifs from elsewhere seem to upload just fine. It's apparently not file size related afaict.
    The forum software is called XenForo. I did some searching and there were a few posts about similar issues. Disabling the upload of zip files was one possible 'fix' but as there are so few of us who have this issue and there are work arounds, (for me at least,) it doesn't seem worth it. Linking to external image hosts still works if you're up for it. Am curious, what browser and OS are you on?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    Waterfox 56.2.0 64 bit. Win7 Ux64 Up-to-date(too lazy to find the exact sub number kbwhatever moved it to)
    [doublepost=1531452217,1531450710][/doublepost]61.0.1 64 bit firefox check....nope same issue.
    what script does the upload function use? maybe a security script-killer is preventing it from executing properly?
    Does it work for you MrGrey1 ? Can you upload a file to this thread?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    I can only upload screenshots if I reduce them.
    2560x1440 Fails
    1920x1080 Fails
    1680x945 uploads no problem.
    Same image, just reduced. So something doesn't like large resolution for me.
    I'm surprised by your results with Firefox. Was not expecting that to fail. Perhaps do a resolution test to see if it's the same issue?

1900x1069 works
    1905x1071 fails
    1910x1074 fails
    1919x1079 fails

Last edited:

DukeofRealms

Count Duku
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    Hmm, ok.

Are we sure it's resolution, not file size? Although, if it were file size, I'd still expect to see the upload progress working and then it failed after 100%. I'll do some testing with gifs.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    ├── [1021K] starmade-screenshot-0140_1900x1069.png
    ├── [1.0M] starmade-screenshot-0140_1905x1071.png
    ├── [1.0M] starmade-screenshot-0140_1910x1074.png
    ├── [1.0M] starmade-screenshot-0140_1919x1079.png
    ├── [1.0M] starmade-screenshot-0140_1920_1080.png
    ├── [1.8M] starmade-screenshot-0140.png

Yah looks like it might be it. Just did some tests with that in mind, can't upload anything over 1 M

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Hmm, ok.

Are we sure it's resolution, not file size? Although, if it were file size, I'd still expect to see the upload progress working and then it failed after 100%. I'll do some testing with gifs.
    I do not think resolution is the issue, or not solely resolution. I managed to upload several 1080p .jpg files earlier, whereas the .png and .gif files I attempted failed. There may be some combination of factors, or otherwise just file size. The .jpgs were below 1MB, whereas the others were greater than.