Uplink Save Login checkbox does not work anymore

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    In order to log in to anything, even sandbox, I have to log in through the uplink, every time, (or I get an error telling me to do so) despite the fact that each time this happens I check the Save Login checkbox to remember my login so I won't have to keep doing this every time (which used to work, but no longer seems to). I assume it started with 0.14, but I haven't really played in months.

Happens with sandbox, with a dedicated server launched on my own computer for testing, and with a server selected from the servers list because it was #1 at the time (The Rebel Alliance). Has happened every day since 0.14, every time I launch the Starmade launcher.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Well, we need more information about your system in that case, as this happens very rarely.

Operating System?
    Installation path?
    Java Version? (32/64bit differ?)

- Andy

Reaction score
    Well, we need more information about your system in that case, as this happens very rarely.

Operating System?
    Installation path?
    Java Version? (32/64bit differ?)

- Andy
    Same issue here, so I'll just hop aboard... can't even remember when it stopped working - it did work at some point in the distant past however, might have been a year ago or even longer.
    Tried everything from fresh install to deleting ~/.StarMade/settings.properties to up- and downgrading the JVM without success.

$ uname -a
    Linux apollo 3.17.7-gentoo #3 SMP PREEMPT Fri Dec 19 21:59:01 CET 2014 x86_64 AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

$ pwd
    ~/games/StarMade

$ java -version
    java version "1.7.0_71"
    OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.5.3) (Gentoo package icedtea-7.2.5.3)
    OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

Reaction score
    AndyP,
    sorry for double posting, not sure how the forum notifications work with edits...

Here are some more details, maybe there's a clue somewhere:

When the "Save Login (encrypted)" box in the launcher's uplink window is checked, a file named cred containing the account name and a token gets created (or updated) under ~/.StarMade with permissions of 644, meaning it is present and accessible ( -- and readable by everyone)

Connecting to the server (localhost in this case) works every time I enter my credentials upon game start, but after I exit and restart the game, I have to enter that information again the next time I want to connect. Unless I am under some serious misconception, the "Saved Login" should eliminate that need, even with different in-game names, as long as I don't want to switch to another account.

If I try connecting without giving fresh credentials (ie. relying on the cred file)
    "Server: this server requires authentication via uplink.
    Please use the uplink button on startup with your Star-Made.org credentials
    [Back To Login Screen] [EXIT]"
    just as with no credentials, saved or otherwise, followed by
    "Disconnect exception: You have been disconnected from the Server (either connection problem or server crash)
    ActualException: EOFException"
    which I wouldn't view as critical but expected, and interpret as "the server refused the connection".

Here's what little I could find in the
    Code:
    [CLIENT] Client State and Controller successfully created
    [CLIENT] trying to connect to localhost:4242
    [CLIENT] establishing new socket connection to localhost:4242
    [CLIENT] Trying TCP...
    [CLIENT] SOCKET CONNECTED TO SERVER
    [CLIENT] logging in now... Valck; ; 
    [CLIENT] EOFConnection (last file size: 33; last packet timestamp: 1420017508077)
    java.io.EOFException
       at java.io.DataInputStream.readInt(DataInputStream.java:392)
       at org.schema.schine.network.client.ClientProcessor.run(SourceFile:713)
       at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)
    [Client] [LOGIN]: ERROR: Authentication required but not delivered

If there's any more information I can provide, please let me know. I really hope this can get sorted out soon.