Updating the server

Reaction score
    Hello, everyone

I am new to starmade only having bought it a few days ago and me and friends have a dedicated server already up and running that we have been playing on.

the issue I have at the moment is a new update 1.885 was just released today and our server is still using 1.882 and I do not know how to update the server on here yet. I have been unable through my many searches to find any information on how to accomplish this as well.

I and my friends would appreciate any help anyone could be on this issue, thank you in advance :)

Problem has been solved, can delete or lock this if you like, ty :)

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Hey, sorry should have mentioned it

I was not using the dedicated server option from the launcher to run my server, I use a shortcut instead

I decided to try and turn on my server from the launcher and doing so updated my server files to 1.885, I should have thought of trying that before I spent hours searching all over the net and youtube for any suggestions :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This problem should be answered on in more details so there is actually are any answer on what files should be saved before updating so your server don't need to reset every time. And how to update a server Dedicated or Local host. Like where to get the files what links needed to know about or if it can be taken from your local game map. But then specify what files or Map. That is totally needed and what is optional if wanted.

Reason for me to type this is due to the fact that there exist no true good guide on how to do this manually. Most refers to host and there website systems or just copy the hole local game folder. And that's just not good enough.

Hope to hear from crew. By the way. Good game keep on working. This will be fun and not forgotten in a long long time by any one.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    There is usually no need to reset anything.
    In theory its best to create a backup of the folder before updating. (While the largest part of this is the /server-database part, the other contents are usually not relevant in terms of size.)
    So if you want a "minimal backup", get /server-database and /blueprints from server directory.

The "update" itself, is most comfortable via the full GUI.
    So if you have a machine as server with full GUI you only need to shutdown the server, and use the launcher to update.

For the NoGUI variant it "should" be a single command sent to the launcher, to update the game in -nogui mode.
    However there are currently three issues with that.
    They prevent using the -nogui option for dedicated servers without gui.
    In theory only the .jar variant works, but does not exit, so fixing T408 would make the update possible, but the other two also prevent using the windows executable for this as a whole.

However, the update process itself is no magic and can be realized with a bit script knowledge by any platform.

The update is served via:
    http://files.star-made.org/releasebuildindex

the file build-file is located in this "structure"
    http://files.star-made.org/build/
    unfortunately the CDN does not update that index reliable so using this is only good to see how the .zip paths are, and other file-paths.

This leads to two possible approaches to update your server:

Version a)
    Get last line from
    replace the "." at the beginning with
    http://files.star-made.org
    and append .zip

Last line example for current release:
    0.19320#20150711_191815 ./build/starmade-build_20150711_191815
    resulting releasebuild-url:

Version b)
    If you are experienced in writing code,
    you can use and recreate the full functionality of the launcher.

Get last line from
    replace the "." at the beginning with
    http://files.star-made.org
    and append /checksums

Last line example for current release:
    0.19320#20150711_191815 ./build/starmade-build_20150711_191815
    resulting url to checksums file:
    This file contains all checksums and files that are part of the build,
    so a script could walk through every line,
    and enqueue a download for every file that has a different checksum.
    (This allows even a "smart-repair" and optimized downloads from version to version like the launcher does.)​

However there is no need to reinvent the wheel, based on this information Doomsider wrote a small bash script to update your server with the selective file-update the launcher can use in this thread:
    Script to update Linux based servers with selective file download

Sure this does not help with "windows-no-gui-machines" but the code should give a good hint on what needs to be done when you have this setup.

- Andy

Reactions: OviDiuS
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Thank you Andy ! I like what i see. And i have concluded by reading this that i was doing correctly all along. But my server provider is just a bit stingy about giving me more access to the server so i can do the update.

But with this answer i feel this should be pined down for future use and help the other new server owners out there. Its a great explanation on how to do. And will get the less knowing users to host there own servers and spread the word of the game.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Once the three mentioned bugs are fixed, its a single command sent to the launcher to update.

For the time until then, it should be possible to find this, or doomsiders post by "search function".

- Andy