Unusual overworking of CPU.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Purchased!
    For a while I have been noticing my CPU temperature rising over 65*C when I am playing Starmade. This occurs seemingly at random in both singleplayer and multiplayer. (while building, fighting, doing nothing in an empty sector, etc.)

When this occurs, my fan speeds do not change. My other hardware temperatures also do not seem to change to any notable degree.

My idle CPU temperature is about 35*C. When I play Battlefield 4 with maximum settings, my CPU temperature never goes above 50*C.

The following drivers/other stuff is up to date as of the date of this post being created:
    -Java
    -video drivers
    -motherboard-related stuff
    -audio drivers

System Specs:

-Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit
    -Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8150 Eight-Core Processor (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
    -Memory: 16384MB RAM (16 GB)
    -Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Turn on vsync (called vert-synch ingame). It locks the game to 60fps and should reduce CPU and GPU usage.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    It is already on. My framerate is always at 60 FPS, no higher.
    Wow, that system should do quite good with vsync enabled.
    Any big background programs running? (Video capture?)
    Maybe accidentally activated gif recording? (did that once, needed two hours to find that laaaaaaarge gif in my folder.)
    And just to make sure, set procedural background to lowest 1024 quality, it is known to cause high cpu-loads on high resolutions.
    Maybe not an Option, but for testing, disable AA and shadows.

With all this things checked, and nothing helps, I suggest visual inspection on your cooling equipment. (CPU fan, airflow warm/hot?)

- Andy

Reaction score
    My cpu a i7 870 2.93ghz gets up to 72c with vsync on and the gpu at 60c.
    I really wish this wasn't the case because I don't like to play because of it.
    The most intensive game I've played lately has been planetside 2 on high 1600*900 in huge 60+players on all side battles and the cpu goes to 64c at the highest on one core.