Universe Update: Star Systems, Territory, and Space

Reaction score
    With regards to this, I reviewed this post:
    https://starmadedock.net/threads/devblog-18th-july-2017-end-goal-document-part-2.29251/

TL;DR:

I) Yes, space feels too small and non-FTL movement is totally viable for interstellar travel, and this needs to be changed. The star grid is terrible, but I think it's only a placeholder.
    II) Our galaxy definitely has regions with varying characteristics, and StarMade could certainly simulate that and make it fun.
    III) Your proposed algorithm sounds plausible to me; it would be a great way to create varying star density and make space unpredictable and more fun to explore.

So my hope is that they have this issue in mind to be addressed. I definitely agree that space does not feel nearly as big as the real cosmos, not even close. Part of that is the inevitable simulation factor, that a simulation must be abbreviated in order to be represented at all. But another part is that the game is still not developed on every front, at least in terms of the End Goal Document. (We still haven't seen the other parts of that document.) Distances are measured in kilometers. Planets are not particularly large. Generally, nothing is astronomically large. I find this acceptable for the moment, but I'm still new to this game (fewer than 30 days) and I'm still working on building my own explorer ship and discovering how ship systems work. I expect that large portions of the game are still placeholders.

I agree that we need more variation in the makeup of galaxies. Again, the End Goal Document mentions that the procedural generator has a cost, that recycling and remixing content so that players see the same things again and again, and that this is not ideal but is largely unavoidable. I think it is clear by now that there is a community of people who are ready to build content and submit it. Unless I'm wrong, some user-created content has already been included in the stable releases. The Traders Home space station seems to have USD Type-1 airlocks that are a community-designed structure. (I love the USD Type-1 and always use its interface standard in my designs!) If there was a call for user-designed content to be submitted to create a reservoir to add variety to the procedural universe generator, I would love to contribute, and I think many others would also.

Specifically, I would definitely like to see procedural galaxy generation imitate reality whenever possible. Your proposal for creating "zones of control" to scatter and size star systems is a good one. At the very least, it is easily translatable into an algorithm.

Something to keep in mind is that much of space is vast stretches of sparse particles. I see that there are two ways to regard this in StarMade. A- It can be actually represented with spatial addressing (having it actually occupy coordinates at a unique location that can be visited), allowing space to possess that quality of feeling inconceivable immense by actually being immense.
    B- It can be represented theoretically and therefore abbreviated, allowing the game to avoid devoting resources to dealing with it, and possibly resulting in a resource savings of some kind.

At present it seems like StarMade is geared for option A, except that the distances are not large enough to provide the real world immensity of space. I would really like space to feel truly immense, but I don't know the cost in terms of StarMade resources. Would it require shifting to a concept style like option B? Or could it be done like option A, just scaled-up? The only value that matters is the distance between the primaries (the distance from one star to another star, or one planet to another planet, at whatever scale you are currently dealing with), and this distance is so vast that traveling to another star by a means other than hyperspace jumping is unthinkable. This fact could actually make it easier to design planetary systems and distribute stars because at each scale, the only value that matters is the distance between the objects at the scale of interest. That is, the position of Earth along its orbital path is irrelevant until you are closer to its star than you are to any other star; the position of Earth's moon along its orbital path is irrelevant until you are closer to Earth than to any other planet in the system. Therefor, beyond that distance, it is unnecessary to display any information that is more detailed than the dominant object on that scale. Showing a sector scan with the position of planets while you are not in that sector isn't only pointless, it's unknowable, or at least it should be.

One solution here could be to create a game domain hierarchy (something like planet surface, planet orbit, star system, star cluster, galaxy) and wrap them as instances, but allow contiguous interaction between domains of adjacent level. So if player E is on the surface of Earth and player O is in Earth orbit, and player L is on the surface of Luna, players E and L could both see player O, but not each other, while player O could see both players E and L. A specialized scanner could be created to break this boundary with selective focus.

This entire subject is also inextricably linked to navigation and energy consumption, and StarMade has gamified that in a way that is intuitive and fun but totally unrealistic. You point your ship toward the place you want to go, and you move in that direction. Real world space travel involves using computers to calculate the intricate and precise series of departure times, thrust vectors, and fuel quantities required for moving from one place to another. But we also don't have jump drives or regenerating power plants, let alone beam weapons or energy shields.

The End Goal Document implies that a player might need to work to uncover information about the galaxy before trying to explore it. In the real world, there is quite a bit of sky for us to examine, and we have spent a great deal of effort looking and mapping. There is definitely room in StarMade to create activities that center on this. Charting stars, doing planet-based telescope surveys, being employed by PCs or NPCs to explore. "Go to Beta Eridane and scan all the planets, then report that information to the guild." I could make a full-time (play) job out of that! And the total size of the galaxy would make the distance to the frontier of unexplored space a very important value. No matter how large a galaxy we create, given a long enough playtime, all stars might be explored eventually, so maybe the age of the survey data could increase its value. (Fresh data is more valuable than stale data. "Nobody has visited Beta Eridane in years. Go perform another survey for the guild to update our charts.") There would also be room for some more ship tools to facilitate exploration. (The Recon chamber seems to be designed exclusively to counter Stealth for ships at the moment, but it could easily have a sub-tree added for stellar and planetary surveys, or maybe add a separate Survey Reactor Chamber.) In any case, I would like to stop finding stations in weird scattered places throughout star systems, not orbiting anything at all, but just hanging in space without concern for their relative locations to a star or planet. (I have been thinking of trying to build a station in the orbital path of a planet to see what happens.) We need some more logical constraints on where things can spawn in a star system. Gravitationally untethered objects should be rare.

Reactions: Skwidz and MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Lots of good thoughts Tolnorus . I think that some of the survey ideas would very much enrich the game but may fall outside of current scope (hoping for modability later). There has been a lot of talk about enriching communication and intelligence systems (including survey systems) in the past, but so far it doesnt seem to be on the menu beyond cloak and counter-cloak serving the game's primary role as a "space shooter."

Building in orbital sectors is currently mostly a pain and only causes trouble, but now that you mention it, with the galaxy update development looming... it might be a good time for them to see if there isn't anything that can be done to expand and enhance orbital performance and gameplay, because better orbital dynamics and stability would be amazing! Proper orbital stations and maybe even moons would be so nice... especially if you could see those moons from the planets' surfaces and have them move appropriately. Big immersion boost. Might be pretty intense in terms of resources though.

Overall I know that a lot of players like hopping to other galaxies (even though they're all the same), but I do think a lot of us would prefer greater detail on the stellar and planetary levels than the ability to travel to an infinite number of identical galaxies that all lack depth and character.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I think there should be more than 1 galaxies. Just make it a lot harder to get to them. They should be a lot more space inbetween them and that space should be infestated by great dangers.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    I think there should be more than 1 galaxies. Just make it a lot harder to get to them. They should be a lot more space inbetween them and that space should be infestated by great dangers.
    Agreed that other galaxies should be an epic feat to reach unless using gates previously established. Do you think infinite galaxies are important, or would a big cube of a mere 27 galaxies surrounding spawn be sufficient compromise if the galaxies are rich and diverse?

Reaction score
    Agreed that other galaxies should be an epic feat to reach unless using gates previously established. Do you think infinite galaxies are important, or would a big cube of a mere 27 galaxies surrounding spawn be sufficient compromise if the galaxies are rich and diverse?
    Just need to dial the 8th chevron...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Since Starmade isn't an MMO ( You won't have thousands of players playing in the same universe ), an infinite galaxy wouldn't really make sense. I hope they give us the option to either have infinite galaxies, or a limited number of them. As you said, you should really be established on your home galaxy, have immense wealth and a great ship to traverse the empty space inbetween the galaxies.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    Multiple galaxies is nice in theory, the reality is a little different. I most definitely want the ability to restrict the number of galaxies to one. I have seen individuals go off in opposite directions, they each have a galaxy spawn for themselves, they then never interact with anyone in the home system, get bored, stop playing, nobody in the home systems even has an inkling they're out there because most understand it's just more of the same and don't want to waste their time traveling... We really need the ability to say no, one galaxy only. There's enough trouble in a single galaxy getting people to interact with each other without having intergalactic distances thrown into the mix. For single player be my guest, go nuts, fly across multiple galaxies but servers need to be able to limit this for the sake of their communities. I'd like to see flying of the edge of a galaxy bringing you back in on the opposite side myself.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The OP is basically how i hope the universe update will change, basically keeping the sectors and changing the 16^3 sector blocks to local areas or something, but divorcing the locations of stars and planets from that grid, allowing stars to be placed in any sector, and their sphere of influence and orbiting objects a sphere of sectors with them at the center. That would be so great.
    We can still claim sectors or quadrants(?) of sectors as faction territory, or maybe all of a system's sphere of influence.

Reaction score
    I. Remove the "Star Grid"
    One thing about Starmade that's always kind of bothered me is how small space feels. You can still travel the galaxy without FTL in minutes or hours. You can help this somewhat by increasing sector size, but that doesn't change the fact that star systems are SMACK next to each other, all the same size, and arranged in a weird grid. That just makes the situation a hundred times worse, and it can't be fixed by config settings. Even galaxies themselves are arranged in a grid.

I believe the following should be added as a goal of the universe update: "Remove system and galaxy "blocks" in favor of randomly-located stars and randomly-sized star systems, as well as randomized galaxies."

II. Enhancing the Region Ideas
    Instead of just generating stars in a shape, why not make the core and the outside consequential? In real life, the core of the Milky Way galaxy is very different from the rest. (Mass Effect 2 made reference to this.) In Starmade, I think the galactic core should be a dangerous place filled with lots of crazy anomalies, but also lots of rare stuff to find if you're willing to brave the danger. This is not only semi-realistic, but good for gameplay.

III. Universe Generation Ideas

I would suggest generating the universe in four stages to facilitate these ideas:
    1. Determine galaxy positions and sizes, with one always at the center where players start.
    2. Star systems. Generate spherical regions of sectors throughout the galaxy, which may not overlap each other.
      • Systems get larger or smaller regionally to increase or decrease density of stars. (Generally denser close to the galactic core.)
      • Assign each system a type, which determines its characteristics.
    3. Generate bodies within each star system according to its type.
    4. Upon entering the sector, create the physical objects in that sector.
    EDIT: Star systems should not be completely filled, but should use at most half of their radius for generating orbiting stuff. The rest can be considered interstellar space after generation. This will ensure that the systems are spread out enough to feel right. Interstellar space should of course be filled with random weirdness and quite a few frigid rogue planets to keep things interesting.
    Not bad idea.But this will make an omega lag on older computers and blow up the system requirements for the game including RAM and CPU.Which means there will be longer loading times and it will be a nightmare for multiplayer.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    But this will make an omega lag on older computers and blow up the system requirements for the game including RAM and CPU.Which means there will be longer loading times and it will be a nightmare for multiplayer.
    You have fundamentally misunderstood the suggestion.

It seems you thought I wanted sectors removed. I don't. The sector grid CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be removed. It's how the engine is able to give us an entire universe instead of a single, small game level.

The grid of systems, which are made of cube-shaped groups of sectors, should be removed from the game. Instead, the universe should be made of an infinite grid of sectors, with spheres or ellipsoids marked out as star systems by random generation.

Reaction score
    You have fundamentally misunderstood the suggestion.

It seems you thought I wanted sectors removed. I don't. The sector grid CANNOT and SHOULD NOT be removed. It's how the engine is able to give us an entire universe instead of a single, small game level.

The grid of systems, which are made of cube-shaped groups of sectors, should be removed from the game. Instead, the universe should be made of an infinite grid of sectors, with spheres or ellipsoids marked out as star systems by random generation.
    Yes but you know, this is a block game everything should be from cubes.
    [doublepost=1532200408,1532200336][/doublepost]Im not saying your suggestion is bad.Its very good and the game would be nicer if there would be more shapes.But this is how the game is and how it will be.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Yes but you know, this is a block game everything should be from cubes.
    [doublepost=1532200408,1532200336][/doublepost]Im not saying your suggestion is bad.Its very good and the game would be nicer if there would be more shapes.But this is how the game is and how it will be.
    The game doesnt seem to have too much issue drawing out ellipsoids of blocks by radius and center location now, i dont see how it would have trouble drawing a sphere of cubic sectors around stars on worldgen instead of putting them in a cubical system, so i dont understand either what you mean by that this suggestion wont work.

The game already tags sectors that cross an asteroids orbit as asteroid field sectors in the map, it would basically be doing the same thing in the suggested change to draw system boundaries.

If you mean like the 16^3 grid would have to stay, it very well might or maybe should, but the locations of stars and planets and system boundaries doesnt have to sync up with that grid does it?

Reaction score
    I think there should be more than 1 galaxies. Just make it a lot harder to get to them. They should be a lot more space in between them and that space should be infestated by great dangers.
    There are many galaxies. There is a setting i believe on the opening settings page before you load a game that allows u to see all of the galaxies. Theres tons of them

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I'm aware that there are many galaxies, I just said that I disagree with the game having only one galaxy. Like I said before, getting to other galaxies should be really REALLY hard

Reaction score
    I tend to believe if the galaxy was a more interestingly designed area, and more random, that more people would invest more effort in going to points of interest or other ways of marking things, however to me there is one glaring issue, home bases, and their coordinates list, I do not believe it is possible to know where each home base is, why disclose its coordinates anyway, if there was no list of coordinates and no points on the map like the trade hub, I tend to believe that most bases would not need to be protected in such a way that it limits gameplay, along with the aspect of generation I tend to think this would also be an issue in that regard. I think that the map and how its set up to reveal everything, gates, stars, bases, and ships should be changed, to a more as you go you learn system.

Reaction score
    and maybe only limit the number of galaxies to the first and surrounding ones only, plenty to explore, and fight for........que intergalactic wars...

Reaction score
    i know this thread is probably dead but i will say this
    the devs are working on a universe update from what ive heard. its a really good idea but the grid system could easily be fixed. just have sectors for loading things, but things could randomly instead of smack in the middle of sectors. i dont know what you mean by "weirdness". the whole "load things when you get to the sector" is already implemented. and has anyone ever went to the center of a galaxy ever? i think there should be a huge system sized black hole that works like a wormhole to another galaxy for fast travel. also i think long distance radio transmissions should be snet instead of messages on chat channels when far away and no transmissions should be received when entering or in a worm hole.