Universal Active Effects Fleshed out

Reaction score
    i recently saw part of the Power System Preview Stream during which they talked about some features of the coming Universe Update one such feature was Active Effects [timestamp 30:35]
    and i started thinking about how some of their ideas might be further fleshed out for example starting with the case of nebulae active effects
    NEBULAE
    • nebulae active effects increase in strength the closer you are to its center of mass
    • ship or station gains radar jamming effect the moment it enters the nebulae that lasts until you leave it
    • ship or station has shields drained in nebulae {perhaps some lightning storm VFX?
    • nebulae act like jump inhibitors
    • nebulae have decreased conditions of visibility ( difficulty being able to physically see the ship) with the visibility getting worse closer to the center of mass
    BLACK HOLES
    Black Hole active effects increase in strength the closer you are to its center of mass
    • ship or station has FTL drive charge drained
    • ship or station gains a top speed penalty
    • upon being transported through the black hole you will lose all power and be forced to preform a system reboot
    METEOR SHOWERS
    • showers will occur in asteroid fields at random
    • showers angle of attack will always be within the large asteroids orbital plane
    • they will have use the dumb missiles damage model
    • they will negate shields
    COMETS
    • Comets will be a random occurrence more likely near stellar systems with lots of asteroids in large orbits
    • Comets will be very small asteroids of say 50 meters or so and will be moving at speed throughout the system
    • Comets will emit a VFX vapor plume perhaps made the same way as the nebulae cloud
    • Comets will contain at their core large quantities of valuable ice crystals or other very rare minerals
    SOLAR FLARES
    • Solar flares will be more likely the smaller the star
    • Solar flares will instantly wipe out power on all ships and stations in the entire star system forcing a systems reboot
    • Solar flares (over a great period of time) increase in frequency until the frequency reaches one every hour this indicates the star will go Supernova within 12 hours
    SUPERNOVAE
    • Supernovae will be more likely the smaller the star
    • Supernovae will destroy everything in the star system and the adjacent systems will temporarily be irradiated with heat damage for a period of time while the supernova creates a light well dispersed Nebula throughout the original star system
    • the resulting nebula will have a gap where the orbits of the asteroids and planets were
    • Stars will be destructible with beam weapons but will take twice as much effort as destroying a planet
    i was originally going to write about nebulae alone but during the course of writing this i had many more ideas no doubt the Schine team have already thought about some of these

Last edited:
    Reactions: nogg
    Reaction score
    i also hope that in the future comes more random events like these, so that discovering is much cooler^^