Read by Council Unconstrained Steering

Reaction score
    Currently we use a restricted steering system for ships. This meaning that when you turn the ship it automatically tries to center on your crosshair rather than continuing in the direction you have moved your mouse too. What this means is that you are having to pick up your mouse place it back in the center of your pad anf continue scrolling in order to maintain a turn. This takes away from the feeling of weight from a ship and can be quite frustrating in combat.

What I suggest is unbound steering. Basically you sling your mouse to the direction you want to go and your ship will continue to turn until you correct it. An example can be seen in naval ships where the helmsman must recorrect his course after swinging his wheel in a direction. Fihhter battles would feel 10x more intense and immersive. Large ships would feel their weight and be able to perform evasive maneuvering. This would be an excellent edition with directional thrust.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I really like this idea, but if this is Blackhawk speaking through a proxy or something (the only reason I can think of for the AA account to be used for anything but AA business) then... welp. Inb4 closed and banned.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    +1, maybe a key to center mouse to idle (or a suitably large ring of no turning) and a toggle key for bound/unbound mouse mode.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Please keep false accusations out of this thread. This is an idea blackhawk and I was discussing. He wanted me to post it for him since he has no forum access.

Reaction score
    +1 This.

And the ability to turn off movement, and simply aim my weapons with mouse, without causing ship to turn.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    +1 This.

And the ability to turn off movement, and simply aim my weapons with mouse, without causing ship to turn.
    Actually, weapon aiming arcs should probably be reduced to... eh, somewhere around the size of the circle in the center of the HUD, to make turn rates more relevant, IMO, so there should ideally be no real need for this. Maybe a key to lock aiming to the center of the circle and use the mouse only to turn might be useful, though, one way or another.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    How about we have someone else post this, and then we can brainstorm it.
    I don't like the idea of having a good idea being posted by an account which has a high likelihood of being banned sometime soon, and this seems like a genuinely good idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Yet another clone thread. And you don't even know how this feature has a well established term 'relative steering', which doesn't require much to add to it. Well, keep it up. It seems nobody really cares to use a search after all.

Reaction score
    Samuel and Divine, either contribute to this topic with ideas or stay off my thread with negativity. Thanks.

Reaction score
    The current steering system is probably the most annoying mechanic in the game to me. I would love for this to be implemented. I play with a low mouse sensitivity so steering a ship with any decent size is a real workout.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Currently we use a restricted steering system for ships. This meaning that when you turn the ship it automatically tries to center on your crosshair rather than continuing in the direction you have moved your mouse too. What this means is that you are having to pick up your mouse place it back in the center of your pad anf continue scrolling in order to maintain a turn. This takes away from the feeling of weight from a ship and can be quite frustrating in combat.

What I suggest is unbound steering. Basically you sling your mouse to the direction you want to go and your ship will continue to turn until you correct it. An example can be seen in naval ships where the helmsman must recorrect his course after swinging his wheel in a direction. Fihhter battles would feel 10x more intense and immersive. Large ships would feel their weight and be able to perform evasive maneuvering. This would be an excellent edition with directional thrust.
    I'm all for fixing the steering ! Hopefully if people keeps bringing it up we might hear back about the issue !

Though, I don't think Starmade would lend itself too well to having only a permanently "unbounded steering" mode.
    Most of the well known space sims have been using instead a mix of starmade's current system and a "click and hold to steer" mode which works exactly as what you've described.
    Freelancer and X3 for example, make use of that system, and it works especially great when you have a UI with buttons to click on and etc. Switching from one mode to the other is done via pressing a binded key.

I mentioned it more in in my thread, in that post kiraen quoted:
    ( I haven't gotten a tag yet :( )

And its also worth mentioning here the really annoying quirk that whenever you cross a boundary in space, the reticule just jumps back to the center of the screen, and you lose all your turning momentum.. :/
    It would be really nice if it could be fixed as well ! Because, its really annoying !

But, anyhow, I'm hoping something is done with the steering soon !

Reaction score
    Yeah the momentum is nice when you're leading targets. It would be awesome with a joystick if the would change this and their thrust mechanics to directional. High speed, cockpit tossing dogfights.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm all for fixing the steering ! Hopefully if people keeps bringing it up we might hear back about the issue !
    Hopefully people learn to bring something up repeatetly without creating multiple threads for it.
    Yeah the momentum is nice when you're leading targets. It would be awesome with a joystick if the would change this and their thrust mechanics to directional. High speed, cockpit tossing dogfights.
    This sounds to me as if you don't know that there is a thread about changing the thrust mechanics (http://starmadedock.net/threads/thrust-mechanics-explained.2696/). If I'm wrong, please correct me.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Hopefully people learn to bring something up repeatetly without creating multiple threads for it.

This sounds to me as if you don't know that there is a thread about changing the thrust mechanics (http://starmadedock.net/threads/thrust-mechanics-explained.2696/). If I'm wrong, please correct me.
    Yes, there is a thread about it, and that thread was started August 14 2014, almost a year ago with nothing happening, so maybe people starting threads here may shake the bushes a bit and get the process going again

Reaction score
    +1, maybe a key to center mouse to idle (or a suitably large ring of no turning) and a toggle key for bound/unbound mouse mode.
    I can only guess that something just went way over my head... aren't there [v] and [F2] already?

kiddan

Cobalt-Blooded Bullet Mirror
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I was totally going to suggest unconstrained steering myself today, luckily I don't have to type one now! :p

I totally agree on a need for a new steering system/option. Bigger, slower to turn ships in older versions felt a ton more smooth than what we have to do right now.

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Yes, there is a thread about it, and that thread was started August 14 2014, almost a year ago with nothing happening, so maybe people starting threads here may shake the bushes a bit and get the process going again
    The first sentence in the quote has nothing to do with the second, I just think it is anoying if (like it happened with multiple other topics before) two threads concerning the same issue get created in a span of a few hours.

The second sentence was to proof that schine already has ideas on changing the thrust system which to me seem quite similar to the changes to thrust wanted in the part I quoted.

Reaction score
    Yeah, I'm a little unsure of proper forum etiquette in these sorts of situations.

It's one thing when you're asking a question, it's another when you're making a suggestion, right?