Turrets, that can mine?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    In that case it might take a few extra steps but if I am not mistaken you could set up logic to switch the turret axis to a regular rail pull the items and then have another set of logic to turn them back into a turret axis
    That is also impossible, you can't change turret rails into regular rails.

There are only 2 new ways I have found to get cargo off of turrets (ignoring the old method of physically walking to it).
    One is using the personal storage option, the second is having a cargo crate docked to the turret, that can be moved, undocked, and swapped to the main ship on its own.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    hmm, i thought you could, but guess i was wrong, i never really tried it and just figured since it works with most other rails it would work with that one as well, but oh well xD we all learn something new

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    -Salvager Turret Check List.
    Make sure the turret is built right. (IE: Can you manually aim the turret?)
    Make sure the salvager computer faces right and is slaved to your logic system for it.
    Make sure the weapon the AI uses to aim with is slaved to the core, and that it wont damage the asteroid.
    Set AI to turret and aim at selected target.
    Back in main ship press Delete, open the Rail System Collective tab, press activate all turrets AI.
    Find and select asteroid, engage salvager logic system.

Also I might have found a way to automate getting cargo off of turrets using transferable cargo crates. Time for more science!
    This actually works? Got a proof blueprint?

That is also impossible, you can't change turret rails into regular rails.

There are only 2 new ways I have found to get cargo off of turrets (ignoring the old method of physically walking to it).
    One is using the personal storage option, the second is having a cargo crate docked to the turret, that can be moved, undocked, and swapped to the main ship on its own.
    Have shipyard as large as mining craft,
    dock full craft to shipyard, reduce to design (puts looted inventory into shipyard's inventory)
    rebuild craft from design (cargo empty now)
    ->refinery pulls from shipyard

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This actually works? Got a proof blueprint?

Have shipyard as large as mining craft,
    dock full craft to shipyard, reduce to design (puts looted inventory into shipyard's inventory)
    rebuild craft from design (cargo empty now)
    ->refinery pulls from shipyard
    Do you mean a blueprint of a salvaging turret setup? (I have an old one I can send out, but the most recent is a faction locked thing)
    If you mean an example of passing cargo between turret and main ship using a cargo crate I would ask for more time to refine all of it.

I ignored that option since each turret would need the capacity to store a haul large enough to not be a waste of time, then end up needing many mass enhancers as its load fills up.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    I ignored that option since each turret would need the capacity to store a haul large enough to not be a waste of time, then end up needing many mass enhancers as its load fills up.
    gotcha, well there's always letting the turrets dump the raws into space and "catching" them with a chunk of mothership armor behind as you slowly crawl forward.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449744238,1449744046][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Do you mean a blueprint of a salvaging turret setup? (I have an old one I can send out, but the most recent is a faction locked thing)
    I do mean that, yes, that actually fires it's salvage beams at the asteroid on F from mothership,

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    gotcha, well there's always letting the turrets dump the raws into space and "catching" them with a chunk of mothership armor behind as you slowly crawl forward.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1449744238,1449744046][/DOUBLEPOST]I do mean that, yes, that actually fires it's salvage beams at the asteroid on F from mothership,
    Oh I have not tested collecting leaking stuff yet, totally going to play with that now. Thanks for the idea.

That is very much possible, I will give the old blueprint a pass, get it semi-updated and upload it some time in the next 12 hours.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I got a mining turret to target an asteroid and logic to shoot it, but it only fires at the center of mass. This will not work.

Spartan4845

Master of Chimichangas and Star Trek Shells
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I got a mining turret to target an asteroid and logic to shoot it, but it only fires at the center of mass. This will not work.
    Other than that we'll have to wait and see what comes about in the ai update. Schema seems to want to allow ai and drone mining, so let's wait and see. Also we may see the ability to transfer cargo through turret axis blocks.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    What I've tried previously is a strip mining crawler which you line up such that it will pass by the asteroid slowly, and as it does so the salvage beam array strips the asteroid down piecemeal. What I didn't try is designing it such that it will only scoot forward a certain distance and then wait to be aligned to the next 'roid, which would need only an additional logic clock.

The problem is you have to have a stripping array that can catch 100% of the asteroid reliably at the cruising speed your ship caps out at. My own did a fair job inhaling sections of a planet plate, but not cleanly. There were always bits left behind. The yield was tremendous regardless.

And, you're going to want to bring something else you can do during the mining cycle, because by its nature it must be quite slow. The ship I built was cumbersome and hideous, as well. It took a while to realign.