Turrets, that can mine?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like to use turrets on most my ships from frigate to capital ship range. One of my capital ships i had built a few mining lases and tried to get them to work. I tried the settings any and selected target and the turret sits there. Dose the game have an AI for mining lasers or is there a trick for that?

Raisinbat

Raging Troll
    Reaction score
    Unfortunately no. You can use "my target" in AI settings and the turret will aim in the direction of the asteroid, but its slightly off so can't even use that with logic to trigger miners i'm afraid.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    OK then. Well MR. Developers, I would like a small tweak to the bobby AI so that i can build a mining turret set them up a ship with a large cargo space sit by a few asteroids and have them ato mine ( at a reasonable speed.. not OP) then have a few buds drive a few guard ships while I monitor the surroundings for "bad guys".

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    for an auto mining beam you could just set up a button and a small logic clock, select the button and connect it to the logic clock and to the salvage computer, then just set the logic loop up and it will fire the salvage beam ever time the logic clock triggers the button so you can keep it firing continuously and just sit back while it happens, you can even set up something like what i show in this video so that you don't have to aim your ship very much (old video sadly i haven't been able to make any new ones but i am looking forward to as soon as i can get my new computer)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    That is pretty cool, but just not my style. I'd like a more... eve online approach on it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    yes it would be nice to see that kind of drone ai on here but for now we work with what we have

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes true but in order to get what you want you must ask.

Just think how it would change the game if you could build a station and have 4-5 small ships make runs on there own. I think it would take away some of the dull grinding away without completely eliminating it. I can just laugh at the voting servers now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Believe it or not, the devs have mentioned that this is something they are looking in to, it's just not done yet. Might come with AI update.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Yeah I would bet with the NPC update you'll be able to assign an NPC to the salvage station or drone. At least let's hope so.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    That would be nice. Then the game would be less about farmimg rocks for days and mor about building and fighting.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I belive this has succesfully been done by putting the salvage beams on a turret and activating them with logic as previously mentioned. By giving the turret a beam weapon (with ion effect so it doesn't damage what you want to mine) it won't try to lead its shots thus pointing the beams at the roid.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    Really what exactly makes the drone target the asteroid or a destroyed ship?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    How does that works I can't get any of my turrets to target selected targets

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    How does that works I can't get any of my turrets to target selected targets
    -Salvager Turret Check List.
    Make sure the turret is built right. (IE: Can you manually aim the turret?)
    Make sure the salvager computer faces right and is slaved to your logic system for it.
    Make sure the weapon the AI uses to aim with is slaved to the core, and that it wont damage the asteroid.
    Set AI to turret and aim at selected target.
    Back in main ship press Delete, open the Rail System Collective tab, press activate all turrets AI.
    Find and select asteroid, engage salvager logic system.

Also I might have found a way to automate getting cargo off of turrets using transferable cargo crates. Time for more science!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    automatically pulling cargo is the easy part, select the rails "c" and then link them to the cargo "v" make sure the cargo is not set to pull items, then dock the ship, set up a cargo in your main ship and then select the site the turrent is docked to and do the same, but this time leave the auto pull on and then just set it to pull everything and set the number to pull per tick to the highest amount you can, and it will instantly pull from your turret to the main ship

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Also I might have found a way to automate getting cargo off of turrets using transferable cargo crates. Time for more science!
    Wouldn't you just link the salv computer to a storage chest, then use the newly added rail-transfer to transfer it to the turret base, which then transfers to the ship proper? only takes 2 extra blocks so as long as you aren't building your turrets super-tight on space should be doable since afaik turret docks are treated identically to basic rails for the cargo transfer feature.

Using a basic logic setup of a activation+ not, you can cause the chest to stop pulling as soon as you are docked. Activation gets signal from rail, changes the Not to off. This causes the chest to stop pulling. Your station has a storage that draws from your dock and boom. Auto-transfers as soon as you dock. When you undock, the activation module will turn off (pretty sure anyway) which turns on the Not gate. Not gate turns on the storage which activates its pulling again.

But yes, everything else Aynslei said about setting the turret to fire at 'selected target' and such should be how to make this work. Haven't built one myself yet but I'm not sure if it will work properly as I've noticed my AMC turrets still seem to fixate on the enemy core, as such I don't know if it will adjust aim once the asteroid has been gutted at the 'core' location.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    In that case it might take a few extra steps but if I am not mistaken you could set up logic to switch the turret axis to a regular rail pull the items and then have another set of logic to turn them back into a turret axis