Turrets... how?

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    I did mean to say turret and I've edited my post. Thank you for spotting that.

Do you need mass enhancers for a turret that is about 60 blocks, most of that being basic hull?
    To be honest, I'm really not sure. I know there is a certain amount of 'free mass' that you can dock without enhancers with no ill effects. After you exceed that limit, everything grinds to a near halt. If mass is the issue, I think even one mass enhancer placed on the mother ship may do the trick.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I'd just toss a mass enhancer or 2 on the base of the turret and some on the ship itself just for grins to see what happens.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Okay, here is the turret.

Here are the two components, gun on the left, ring on the right.

From the rear.

So, to recap. The rail dockers and rail axis are all facing forwards, all in the same direction as the rail docker there in the last image. The Bobby AI is the block underneath the rail docker. The two cannon blocks are attached to the weapon computer, and the weapon computer is slaved to the ship core. There's a ship core in each section. The total weight for the combined turret is 3.5 mass. The ship it is docked to is about 115 meters long, and has almost 2 million power and half a million regen. No need for docked power, and there are no other turrets or docked entities.

The AI was apparently set up properly, or at least, it was active, since it gave me a red popup saying the AI has been deactivated when I went to undock the turret gun. Still no workies. No idea why. :|

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    How are you testing it?
    Flying a ways away from my base, and summoning Isanth Type-Zero M-. It fires only missiles. I found out that the Isanth was targeting the turret, every missile hit it. The turret never responded.

Reaction score
    You actually have some collision issues in your design. The barrel can interfere with the main ship in virtually every position(sometimes the game treats angle pieces as cubes for collision calculations). This may be a secondary issue though. Even if the turret is stuck, it will still fire at enemies within a 5ish degree arc of the gun direction if the AI is active. Did you try 'activate all AI turrets' in 'ship>entity structure>rail system collective' while in the main ship?

Last edited:

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    You actually have some collision issues in your design. The barrel can interfere with the main ship in virtually every position(sometimes the game treats angle pieces as cubes for collision calculations). This may be a secondary issue though. Even if the turret is stuck, it will still fire at enemies within a 5ish degree arc of the gun direction if the AI is active. Did you try 'activate all AI turrets' in 'ship>entity structure>rail system collective' while in the main ship?
    I tried that just now, no luck.

Reaction score
    Well, you're definitely within the free mass limit, so that's not an issue. Try making a super-simple turret. Nothing extra, no cosmetics, zero collision chance. Some of my early turrets had cores or guns pointed the wrong direction or weird collision problems and it helped to get a solid, functional baseline. Should only take a couple minutes.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Well, you're definitely within the free mass limit, so that's not an issue. Try making a super-simple turret. Nothing extra, no cosmetics, zero collision chance. Some of my early turrets had cores or guns pointed the wrong direction or weird collision problems and it helped to get a solid, functional baseline. Should only take a couple minutes.
    I will leave that for tomorrow. :P

Reaction score
    I just built a replica of your turret and it works fine.... now I'm even more confused.

Reaction score
    im guessing here but i think i know what you did wrong:

the rail docker needs to be facing downwards in build mode for bobbyAI

you probably set the docker to face sideways, this works for manual control, but breaks bobby ai

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    there is a problem with how the turret system works.
    You need to place the cores so that they each are fixed the either the vertical or horizontal aim.
    So try and undock everything with the turret, press C while in the cores and see which way they look.
    If they are not both aiming in the right directions so that one uses left/right and the other up/down then you need to remake it so it does exactly that.
    All in all it's a weird thing with how the aiming system works, we cant utilize Z and X to turn the turret in any directions.
    Hope this helps a bit. Kinda hard to explain it.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    im guessing here but i think i know what you did wrong:

the rail docker needs to be facing downwards in build mode for bobbyAI

you probably set the docker to face sideways, this works for manual control, but breaks bobby ai
    In order for the gun to rotate, the axis HAS to face sideways. The downwards facing on is for the ring, which moves horizontally. Someone in this thread already built a replica of my turret and it works.

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    It's possible that your installation is corrupt. I had that happen to me before once.

Try making a backup copy of your entire StarMade folder, then reset the universe, spawn your ship with the turret and try again.

Reaction score
    They're right about the cores facing certain directions. In my rebuild of your turret, both turret cores were oriented exactly the same way as the ship core.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    They're right about the cores facing certain directions. In my rebuild of your turret, both turret cores were oriented exactly the same way as the ship core.
    The turret cores are facing the front, the same direction as the ship they're attached to.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Well, I don't know why that turret would not work. I loaded up a fresh, single-player universe, and loaded that turret in, no response.

I scrapped it, built something new from scratch, works just fine. >.>