Turrets... how?

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I'm trying to build my own AI anti-missile turret. I've made a small turret, I know it moves around in a circle, and the gun can rotate on its own axis as well.

It's tiny, so weight is not an issue. It has its own power, and its docked to a ship with ample power.

Bobby AI is installed. It is factioned to my faction. It's set to turret and selected target, and it is active (the checkbox has an X in it).

It will not shoot at selected targets, or even move.

Does the AI need to be master of the ship core and weapons computer? Does the AI have to touch the ship core and weapons computer?

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    I was told a week or two ago that the "Aim at selected target" setting not working is a known bug, so that's probably the issue.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    I was told a week or two ago that the "Aim at selected target" setting not working is a known bug, so that's probably the issue.
    It won't shoot on any of the settings, missiles or any.

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Turrets shouldn't need their own power, but I don't think this would cause an issue.
    Turrets come in two parts.. the Base, and the Barrel, and an axis goes between the Mother-ship, the Base, and the Barrel.
    all the blocks that aren't part of the turret axis should be on the barrel part. This means all weapon blocks, and the bobby AI block.well.

How aim at target works:
    It not based on what you have targeted per say, it's based on when the Mother-ship has targeted, so you need to be in the the mother-ship and then select a target. Make sure your not docked to a station while doing this, because the turret will look for what ever the station has targeted.

So get in the Mother ship, make sure it has working shields and type this command to spawn a small pirate: "/spawn_mobs Isanth-VI -1 1"
    Make sure you target the pirate ship while inside the mother ship.

Good Luck :)

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Turrets shouldn't need their own power, but I don't think this would cause an issue.
    Turrets come in two parts.. the Base, and the Barrel, and an axis goes between the Mother-ship, the Base, and the Barrel.
    all the blocks that aren't part of the turret axis should be on the barrel part. This means all weapon blocks, and the bobby AI block.well.

How aim at target works:
    It not based on what you have targeted per say, it's based on when the Mother-ship has targeted, so you need to be in the the mother-ship and then select a target. Make sure your not docked to a station while doing this, because the turret will look for what ever the station has targeted.

So get in the Mother ship, make sure it has working shields and type this command to spawn a small pirate: "/spawn_mobs Isanth-VI -1 1"
    Make sure you target the pirate ship while inside the mother ship.

Good Luck :)
    I know all that stuff. I did read up on turrets, and I have several non-AI turrets on my base, which work just fine, manually. This turret works just fine manually, the guns fire, it rotates 360x360.

The AI is set up properly as far as I can see, and yes, I was inside the "mother ship" while targeting. And I was spawning the Type-Zero M- Isanth, the one that fires missiles exclusively.

The AI did not even move.

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Gold
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Video Genius
    you need to place the bobby AI module on the last docked entity in the chain of the turret for it to work.
    so if you have a base that will rotate the main body of the turret,you need to place the bobby AI module on the next entity in the chain,in this case the barrel

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Do you perhaps have other rail entities weighing down your Mother-ship. Your supposed to get 50 mass of "freemass" But if your ship is modular, or has allot of docked entities, this may be causing it to slow down allot. When you get in the mother ship does it complain about weight?

Reaction score
    Could be that the base/barrel of the turret aren't aligned properly. One being upside down relative to the other or such, I believe that can screw with the AI.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    you need to place the bobby AI module on the last docked entity in the chain of the turret for it to work.
    so if you have a base that will rotate the main body of the turret,you need to place the bobby AI module on the next entity in the chain,in this case the barrel
    The AI is on the gun of the turret.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443005412,1443005353][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Do you perhaps have other rail entities weighing down your Mother-ship. Your supposed to get 50 mass of "freemass" But if your ship is modular, or has allot of docked entities, this may be causing it to slow down allot. When you get in the mother ship does it complain about weight?
    The turret is the only docked entity.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443005726][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Could be that the base/barrel of the turret aren't aligned properly. One being upside down relative to the other or such, I believe that can screw with the AI.
    No, I have made that mistake before with ship cores. So I am extra paranoid about making sure stuff faces the right direction. The rail docker on my ship points forward, and the turret ring's rail axis points the same direction. As does the rail docker of the turret ring, and the turret gun's rail axis.

I'll post a picture when I get home from work later today.

Is it possible that there's a server setting that disables AI?

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Jump in the core of the barrel, check if you can put the missile computer on your hot bar.
    If the missile computer doesn't appear in the weapons menu slave the computer to the core.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Might be too obvious, but you're 100% sure that you remembered to link the weapon modules to the computer, right?

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Jump in the core of the barrel, check if you can put the missile computer on your hot bar.
    If the missile computer doesn't appear in the weapons menu slave the computer to the core.
    As I mentioned above, the turret works perfectly when used manually. The weapon computer is on the bar and the cannons fire.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443015879,1443015815][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Might be too obvious, but you're 100% sure that you remembered to link the weapon modules to the computer, right?
    Yep, the turret works fine when operated manually, as mentioned above.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Okay, so:

1) You have full range of movement when manually operating the turret.
    2) The weapon fires normally when manually operating the turret.
    3) You have the AI set to Turret, target is correct, and AI is active.

It should be working. The Bobby AI being anywhere on the business end of the turret is enough to work, it doesn't have to be touching anything and there's no special linking thats needed.

Hmmm...

You don't have 2 AIs on the same base, do you? As in two barrels on their own individual axis that are sharing the same rotating base? Those can fight each other for control of the overall turret and cause paralysis. Thats a long shot, but maybe?

Tunk

Who's idea was this?
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    To slave a comp to the core select the core with c and press v on the computer.

Only thing I can think of other than that is possibly the bobby can't detect the turret axis (had it happen before), or the bobby thinks it can't move the axis.
    Got any screenshots?

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If nothing else, scrap the entire turret and start over from scratch.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Does the OP have a screen shot of his setup?
    I'll post it when I get home from work. :p Couple more hours.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1443034615,1443034037][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Okay, so:

1) You have full range of movement when manually operating the turret.
    2) The weapon fires normally when manually operating the turret.
    3) You have the AI set to Turret, target is correct, and AI is active.

It should be working. The Bobby AI being anywhere on the business end of the turret is enough to work, it doesn't have to be touching anything and there's no special linking thats needed.

Hmmm...

You don't have 2 AIs on the same base, do you? As in two barrels on their own individual axis that are sharing the same rotating base? Those can fight each other for control of the overall turret and cause paralysis. Thats a long shot, but maybe?
    No, it's just one AI. I set out exactly what I needed before I put the turret together.

When I was putting the turret together, I was as thorough as possible. I made sure everything was facing the right way, I made sure the turret could move on both axis, I test fired the cannons. I then placed the turret onto my ship, and checked everything again.

The AI was the last thing to go on. I had to fuss with it a bit, it kept forgetting its settings (turret, active, missiles). But I did get it to stay set and I sailed out to a remote area to spawn pirates. I chose the Isanth Type-Zero M-, it only fires missiles. No response from the turret. A few more spawns and still nothing. I switched the turret to selected target, and still nothing. I then switched to any, and it still refused to fire. It didn't even track a target, it never moved.

I do not know what I am missing.

Last edited:

Dr. Whammy

Executive Constructologist of the United Star Axis
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    Did you use mass enhancers for your turret? I know you said the turret is the only docked entity but this might be something you want to look into.

Also, "Ship, active, missiles" should be "Turret, active, missiles". If your turret is set to "ship" it will not track and fire on targets while docked.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Did you use mass enhancers for your turret? I know you said the turret is the only docked entity but this might be something you want to look into.

Also, "Ship, active, missiles" should be "Turret, active, missiles". If your turret is set to "ship" it will not track and fire on targets while docked.
    I did mean to say turret and I've edited my post. Thank you for spotting that.

Do you need mass enhancers for a turret that is about 60 blocks, most of that being basic hull?