Turret Standby Mode and Turret Switching with CTRL + Down/Up

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Ok, so these ideas are to make human pilot-able turrets more feasible. Because it's fun to pilot a turret, but there are some issues with it that discourage the practice. I'd like to see more of it though.

1. Turret Standby Mode
    This idea is to make bobby AI modules go into a "standby" mode rather than turn off when a pilot enters the turret. When the pilot leaves the core, the AI resumes.

2. Turret Switching
    This idea is to allow CTRL + Up/Down to switch between turrets at the same docking chain level.

Reaction score
    I agree wholeheartedly on the "Standby" mode for Bobby AI.

I disagree with shitting all over the current useage of CTRL+up/down shifting though all entities at that docking chain level.
    Perhaps, make it be ALT+Up/Down, as to my knowledge, that button combo currently does nothing? Then I'd be in full support.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I agree wholeheartedly on the "Standby" mode for Bobby AI.

I disagree with shitting all over the current useage of CTRL+up/down shifting though all entities at that docking chain level.
    Perhaps, make it be ALT+Up/Down, as to my knowledge, that button combo currently does nothing? Then I'd be in full support.
    Why not make it congruent with docked entity switching?

Reaction score
    Why not make it congruent with docked entity switching?
    So, in essence, you're stating that you don't care that other people are currently using CTRL+Up/Down to cycle though everything docked to your ship, and thus jumping into docked reactors, shuttlecraft, and turrets, at whatever chain-level I'm willing to dig into. (which is a smidgen unwieldy, but goddamn usefull when I don't want to traverse 300+ meters of ship and don't have Admin Powers)

You want it to ONLY do turrets. That's a goddamn stupid limitation.
    On the other hand, as I'd stated in the post you quoted, ALT+Up/Down currently does diddly-squat. (AKA: Nothing. Sweet Fuck-all. Nada. Zilch.)

By making your proposed function, which I agree should exist, operate via ALT+Up/Down, you'd not be breaking an existing feature.
    And, those who want to jump though only the turrets, would be quite able to do so.

And yes, I went and looked up Congruent.
    (comparative more congruent, superlative most congruent)

1. Corresponding in character.
    2. harmonious
    3. (mathematics) Having a difference divisible by a modulus.
    4. (mathematics) Coinciding exactly when superimposed.
    5. (algebra) Satisfying a congruence relation.
    Of those, the First and Second seem to imply the phrase "Similar To This Other Thing" and the Fourth means "Exactly Identical" so I thank you for using a far bigger word than you needed to, you sesquipedalian nutter.
    (the Third is Irrelevant, and the Fifth is either a non-sequitur or a Tautology)

On the other hand, if you genuinely do not read/write English as your Native Language, then you may simply not have been aware that the word "congruent" is mostly used by rich people to impress other rich people, and by Mathematicians to confuse everyone that isn't a mathematician.

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    So, in essence, you're stating that you don't care that other people are currently using CTRL+Up/Down to cycle though everything docked to your ship, and thus jumping into docked reactors, shuttlecraft, and turrets, at whatever chain-level I'm willing to dig into. (which is a smidgen unwieldy, but goddamn usefull when I don't want to traverse 300+ meters of ship and don't have Admin Powers)

You want it to ONLY do turrets. That's a goddamn stupid limitation.
    On the other hand, as I'd stated in the post you quoted, ALT+Up/Down currently does diddly-squat. (AKA: Nothing. Sweet Fuck-all. Nada. Zilch.)

By making your proposed function, which I agree should exist, operate via ALT+Up/Down, you'd not be breaking an existing feature.
    And, those who want to jump though only the turrets, would be quite able to do so.

And yes, I went and looked up Congruent.
    (comparative more congruent, superlative most congruent)

1. Corresponding in character.
    2. harmonious
    3. (mathematics) Having a difference divisible by a modulus.
    4. (mathematics) Coinciding exactly when superimposed.
    5. (algebra) Satisfying a congruence relation.
    Of those, the First and Second seem to imply the phrase "Similar To This Other Thing" and the Fourth means "Exactly Identical" so I thank you for using a far bigger word than you needed to, you sesquipedalian nutter.
    (the Third is Irrelevant, and the Fifth is either a non-sequitur or a Tautology)

On the other hand, if you genuinely do not read/write English as your Native Language, then you may simply not have been aware that the word "congruent" is mostly used by rich people to impress other rich people, and by Mathematicians to confuse everyone that isn't a mathematician.
    Actually, congruency is typically used in programming or designing to mean you are using the same methodology between two parts. For example, when building a ship that two people are working on, one may say to the other to include a certain design element in the back to make it "congruent" with the front. Or perhaps in programming, they may be using a certain method to store and retrieve global variables, so one programmer will say to the other to use the same method to make it congruent with the project methodology.

Here, I was just meaning that right now switching between entity levels works fine, but not for turrets. So, why not make it congruent, as in make it work for turrets. If you're in a turret, you could use CTRL + up/down to switch between turrets of the same docking chain level. I never said to make CTRL + up/down stop working for everything else.

Reaction score
    But that will break the CTRL+UP/DOWN functionality completely. As soon as you enter a turret, you can no longer leave your turrets, making it impossible to, say, jump into a fighter docked in a hangar, because you entered a PDT on the same docking level by using the regular method.

ALT+UP/DOWN is a much better control scheme.

Reaction score
    ^^
    Yeah, pretty much exactly as Madman198273 explained. That's probably the single biggest reason it would have to be a different button.

Allso, @benevolent thank you for explaining that congruence is actually used differently in programming than it is in Mathematics. (yet another FLAWLESS example of the English "language" shitting all over it's own rules)

Reaction score
    Old thread, but still like the idea! I'd also love to have turrets option to slave them to main ship, so that one can aim with them as pilot, like in freelancer game! :D

Benevolent27

Join the Dark Side
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Old thread, but still like the idea! I'd also love to have turrets option to slave them to main ship, so that one can aim with them as pilot, like in freelancer game! :D
    Oooh, I like your idea too!

And don't worry, this is a forum of ideas, it's ok to necro a thread if it is still relevant. :)
    [doublepost=1477399008,1477397890][/doublepost]
    But that will break the CTRL+UP/DOWN functionality completely. As soon as you enter a turret, you can no longer leave your turrets, making it impossible to, say, jump into a fighter docked in a hangar, because you entered a PDT on the same docking level by using the regular method.

ALT+UP/DOWN is a much better control scheme.
    Currently pressing CTRL+UP/DOWN simply doesn't work while in a turret. CTRL+UP/DOWN currently works by moving a person to a different entity in the docking chain at the same level, but it ignores turrets. So I feel turrets should work the same way, where using CTRL+UP/DOWN while inside of a turret will make the player switch between other turrets of that docking level, but ignore regular docked entities. Then perhaps ALT+UP/DOWN could be used as a universal way to switch between either a turret or a docked entity. I'll demonstrate why I think this should be.

How it is now:
    UP/DOWN: Moves up or down a specific chain of entities with the core being the base level.
    CTRL+UP/DOWN: Moves between entities of the same docking level, but ignores turrets. There is currently no way to switch between turrets, except by switching between the bases of a turret and all other docked entities, including elevators, hangar doors, scanner attachments, etc. (This was the frustration of mine on a turret barge I have which prompted me to create this thread)

What I propose:
    UP/DOWN: Same as now.
    CTRL+UP/DOWN: Moves between entities OR turrets of the same docking level, but not from one to the other. Ie, one cannot switch from a turret to a hangar door.
    ALT+UP/DOWN: Moves between any entity, turret or docked, of the same level. This would allow switching directly from a turret to an attached ship, as in on a carrier. This still wouldn't be perfect though since the player would still get caught up switching between things like hangar doors and elevators, but this type of functionality is needed.

What you propose:
    UP/DOWN: Same as now.
    CTRL+UP/DOWN: Moves between any entity, turret or docked, of the same level. (same as my ALT+UP/DOWN)
    ALT+UP/DOWN: Moves between turrets of the same level.

Note that with your proposal, there is no way to only move between docked entities, while ignoring turrets in the chain. What I am suggesting is that we preserve that functionality, because we wouldn't want to force players to have to switch to an AI turret (thus turning it off), when they are just trying to switch between interior docked entities, like docked ships on a carrier.

Last edited: