Turret integration

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi, i think that turrets in the game should be able to be more a part of the ship. at the moment they are just something which you can only stick on the outside (or inside if you have a massive ship).

turrets could be changed in the way they work as when you build a turret, no other blocks from, for example, another ship are allowed to be in the green square.

my suggestion is that the green square for building a turret is changed so that it is only there to show how large the turret can be, meaning, blocks from another ship are allowed into the square. this would allow people to build turrets that are integrated into, say, the side of their ship so that they are more stylish and easier to protect etc. with this people could entirely cover their turrets up minus something like a 3x2 rectangle for the turret to fire and maybe even stick out of. if part of a turret contacted another block from the ship it's attached to then the blocks could be edited so that nothing would happen, the turrets block would hit the ship and just stop, no bouncing wildly or moving the whole ship.

now because when a ships core is docked to another block there is not exactly a whole block gap in between, so the distance between the core and the docker would need to be increased to one block so it is easier to make integrated turrets.

i think this would be a great change to the game and would improve ship designs greatly. i would love to see this added in, if it is possible, of course.

Scampuk.

Reaction score
    ...is only good currently for stationary turrets, since the ship itself is not connected with shields and so on, so i agreed with this in a certain way.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve been thinking today and this could also apply to general ship docking.

this would mean ships are able to seal themselves to other ships and make it look like it is more one ship than two docked.

any comments welcome.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The main issue I have with turrets isn\'t integration, but the fact that their reticles stay active when attached to my ship. This turns my ship into a series of reticles at a distance and makes it difficult to differentiate between attachments to my ship and separate faction-friendly entities.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    That is a good point also. I\'ve noticed that on my ships, when you\'ve got several turrets and ships attached it is very
    annoying and in my case also makes it hard to see. Thisshould be another thing changed, making the reticles of ships disappear when docked.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Some good Ideas here, I would be happy to see the kind of internal/contour turrets, would make things nice and tidy as well as protected. On the subject of docking in general (ship and turret) there should be another docking node block that you can put on you turret/ship so you do not need an exposed portion of ship core. I would really like to keep my fighters core safe and still be able to dock, as well as dock my large ships (Example- Destroyer class, 600-750 mass) to my station and mothership.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes that is a good idea as well. i believe you are allowed one block beneath the core when docking but no more than one block beneath. something like that anyway. it would be great to allow more of a gap between the core and the docking module.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I like this Idea for docking ships together. you could make some good looking docking systems.

Reaction score
    ...not make a special docking block that you place under the ship and thats where the beam comes from, then that ship whould server as a core in teh docking process where the docking module or turretdocking whould stay connected to it ?

Reaction score
    How about we get a new system that uses physically rotating block that work in pairs, this would also make cranes and things possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    MultiDavid:

Huh why just...

...not make a special docking block that you place under the ship and thats where the beam comes from

this is a good idea and will give turrets more movement room.

Hierarch:

How about we get a new system that uses physically rotating block that work in pairs, this would also make cranes and things possible

why have i never thought of this before!!! Cranes and such like would be a great addition to the game.

Thanks for replying guys and adding more ideas.

Scampuk :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ship docking could have the above mentioned docking block to allow more of a gap and it could also come with an air-lock type system, that seals onto adjacent air-lock blocks on the docking ship creating an attached ship and an air tight seal which would lead on to ships having their own air system inside.

Reaction score
    If a core overide module was made so that what\'s in the box functions independantly yet is still part of the original ship and can have an ai attatched would that work? It\'s still part of the main ship but it

a. functions seperately

b. can\'t rotate for obvious reasons

c. You can set a direction that\'s seperate from the ship\'s direction to make broadside cannons

d. function the stationary cannon from an ai module or man the overide module and take control over the part of the ship it covers.

e. add a pivot block that would allow the gun to turn within it\'s casing.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    yeah, thats pretty much the same thing i was getting at, but if i\'m right do you mean the core overide would have its own box and whatevers in that box would function on its own, while still being part of the ship??

it is a good idea if i have understood it right :) you could still keep normal turrets if you wished and use this for advanced ones.

Reaction score
    exactly

you could attatch an ai module within the box and it could fire on it\'s own too.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes, functional broadsides would be great for ships. they would also have 180° view which would be useful for hitting ships pretty much anywhere. well, except on top and below but that\'s what turrets on top and below are for

Reaction score
    I think including this there should also be a way to vary the distance between docking blocks and the docked object. Like this, while flying you can have docked ships or turrets hidden and protected and when you enter battle you can make them get into a position where they can fire/ the ships(like AI fighters) can get released

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    so, you mean when the ship is not fighting it has like a cover that blends into the ship when the turret retracts and when it is fighting it extends out of the side and fires at the enemy. something lkike this:

or...

they\'re not very good pictures, sorry. :)

this is a great idea, thanks for the addition.