Planned Turret Direction Reset Via Logic

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Hey all, Rixxan here again with another random thought I thought.
    In movies, when weapons systems are activated, the turrets are brought to bear on a ship from a uniform direction, and it looks badass (It's not swearing if you're talking about a donkey). You see the turrets all lined up afterwards as well, so it stands to reason that the ship resets it's turrets to a default (or Start) position. This allows for both hidden turrets that come on on a logic signal and display turrets that look like you placed them, which gives your ship the 'cool' aspect and enhances the aesthetics after a battle. This is something that starmade desperately needs. A logic signal or command, or even a hardwired setting, that resets turrets to the default position without messing with each turret individually. It's hard to look like a Sir flying around or flying into formation when your right fore turret is facing aft left quarter and your aft left turret is facing your bridge and trying to shoot through it, and the rest of your turrets, upon detecting an enemy, either getting stuck or looking like a bunch of cats running toward the food bowl from who knows where. Maybe have it after X amount of time without an enemy contact or on deactivation of the rail turret collective reset to position 0. This would allow you to look like your ship just came out of the shop after a battle instead of having to take all the time to rest all your turrets.

Thanks for reading, comments and discussion is welcome below,

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Or you can hit the entity structure tab thing and click that thing to reset turret positions.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That mode never works for me. It never resets the turrets.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Well it is under rail systems if you want to manually reset them but yes a full auto reset would be nice. Currently only the part the AI is on resets to it's starting position but the base normally doesn't. o_O

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Well it is under rail systems if you want to manually reset them but yes a full auto reset would be nice. Currently only the part the AI is on resets to it's starting position but the base normally doesn't. o_O
    which makes hidden turrets dang near impossible for bases if you make it a form fitting base, that has just enough room for the turret and rail in it's default position instead of a giant hole in the ground for your turret.

Edymnion

Carebear Extraordinaire!
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Yeah, if you want to do cramped hidden turrets, you have to disable turret AI and reset turrets from the all systems interface, and then deploy and re-activate all turret AIs when you want to use them again.

Its kind of cumbersome at this point, which is one reason I decided against hidden turrets for my stuff right now and started making decorative recessed turrets instead.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    I think some people have gotten around this by putting an inactive AI block on the base as well to force the whole turret to reset but that said we shouldn't have to do that. XD

Olxinos

French fry. Caution: very salty!
    Reaction score
    I agree with Rixxan. Of course, you can reset the turrets' positions in the structure tab, however, there is no way to do that with logic alone. Besides, you can't deactivate a turret AI either (unless you deactivate all at once via the structure tab).
    Currently, it is impossible to have a single button to deploy/undeploy some turrets without either:
    - a huge empty area around the turret
    - using the structure tab before undeploying the turrets (hence messing with ALL the turrets on the ship, because I want to deactivate a couple big ion turrets doesn't mean I want to deactivate my point defense turrets).
    Not to mention turrets hidden inside the ship going wild when an ennemy pass by and potentially causing lots of collision checks (again, unless you deactivate all the turrets on the ship).

I'd really like it if the bobby AI could be turned off (or on) by a logic signal (and if upon turning off, it attempted to reset its position).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Yeah, if you want to do cramped hidden turrets, you have to disable turret AI and reset turrets from the all systems interface, and then deploy and re-activate all turret AIs when you want to use them again.

Its kind of cumbersome at this point, which is one reason I decided against hidden turrets for my stuff right now and started making decorative recessed turrets instead.
    I know it's /Possible/ but what I'm suggesting is a feature that does it automatically, that after X amount of time without an enemy contact the turrets (anything on a turret axis, regardless of if it has a bobby module) resets to its start position or a more streamlined way to do this. but keep the AI active. Otherwise every time I'm attacked I'll lose precious time to activate my weapons AI modules because I made them look cool and aligned. If the turrets did it automatically I would just be able to have them at their set position until attacked/detect a hostile and then automatically come to bear for exterior turrets, hidden turrets would still need work.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1441723783,1441723443][/DOUBLEPOST]
    I agree with Rixxan. Of course, you can reset the turrets' positions in the structure tab, however, there is no way to do that with logic alone. Besides, you can't deactivate a turret AI either (unless you deactivate all at once via the structure tab).
    Currently, it is impossible to have a single button to deploy/undeploy some turrets without either:
    - a huge empty area around the turret
    - using the structure tab before undeploying the turrets (hence messing with ALL the turrets on the ship, because I want to deactivate a couple big ion turrets doesn't mean I want to deactivate my point defense turrets).
    Not to mention turrets hidden inside the ship going wild when an ennemy pass by and potentially causing lots of collision checks (again, unless you deactivate all the turrets on the ship).

I'd really like it if the bobby AI could be turned off (or on) by a logic signal (and if upon turning off, it attempted to reset its position).
    Exactly. I have several heavy cannons on my ship that I don't want to take offline to activate my Close In Weapon Support turrets, and I don't want my turrets in a perpetual state of disorganization that gets them stuck or firing at my bridge and even though it doesn't do damage it looks dang silly, and I can be the subject of the old playground mantra 'Stop Shooting Yourself'.

Groovrider

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I have never had, at any time, issues with barrels resetting but not the base. When I reset my turrets I get full base/barrel alignment every time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Also, hitting C should reset your turrets. V Might as well, can't remember.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Hitting C only works if you are in the turret. >_>

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Also, hitting C should reset your turrets. V Might as well, can't remember.
    That does work, but it's a pain to exit my ship, go to each turret, enter, reset, reset bobby AI, move to next turret... after every battle or detection. I have a LOT of turrets.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    nono, while in the mothership. Align the ship and the turrets should follow if they don't have a target.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    nono, while in the mothership. Align the ship and the turrets should follow if they don't have a target.
    That only works for me if they HAVE a target.

Rixxan Make sure that you're in the rail tab in the structure tab, not the "turret docking" tab since that's for the old docking system.

Turrets are also supposed to reset on their own once they exit combat, but only do so on a single axis due to a bug. It'll get fixed in due time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    That only works for me if they HAVE a target.

Rixxan Make sure that you're in the rail tab in the structure tab, not the "turret docking" tab since that's for the old docking system.
    Yes, I am in the Rail System Collective tab.