Turret Control Station

Reaction score
    My idea is the implementation of a block that when linked to a turret docking station, and entered by the player, allows the player to assume direct control over the turret, as though the player was piloting the turret. When the turret is destroyed, or the player wishes to exit the turret, the player is simply spit out in front of the turret control station block.

It would also be neat if the block allowed the same functions as #1 in this suggestion:
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/ai-turret-control-centre-item-build-feature.1646/

Reaction score
    Having the ability to activate/deactivate, set modes, and determine targeting from one centralized location for all turrets would be a huge asset. I recently was surprised by the ability to toggle into various turrets using the up/down arrows and was thrilled, but I figuratively shot myself in the foot by doing this because when entering the turrets Bobby AI was turned off, and when I left the turrets it was not turned back on again. As a result I quickly loss the benefit of all of my turrets in sequence, requiring me to EVA during a space battle to toggle them on and set targeting if I wanted them working again.

A quick fix through some cleverly implemented control blocks would be excellent!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Having the ability to activate/deactivate, set modes, and determine targeting from one centralized location for all turrets would be a huge asset.
    You can activate/deactivate all AIs attached to your ship via the Structure menu. It won't let you change the targeting mode, but it saves you having to go EVA to switch them back on again.

Reaction score
    That doesn't add all the functionality I would like to see, but it is incredibly useful! Thank you!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    How about a turret computer instead that you can control in astronaut mode? It would be easier to link all the Bobby AI modules to. If this computer had its own navigation system, it could have a list of entities around the area that can be targeted.

Maybe even the option to select what turrets fire at what target, so you can fire at more than one target.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Whenever I try to activate my AI turrets through the structure tab, it sets them as ship type. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just have to go round chancing their type to turret and then activate them?!

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    How about a turret computer instead that you can control in astronaut mode? It would be easier to link all the Bobby AI modules to. If this computer had its own navigation system, it could have a list of entities around the area that can be targeted.

Maybe even the option to select what turrets fire at what target, so you can fire at more than one target.
    I like this idea. It'd be great to have both this and my idea for the option of linkable chairs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Whenever I try to activate my AI turrets through the structure tab, it sets them as ship type. Am I doing something wrong? Or do I just have to go round chancing their type to turret and then activate them?!
    I'm afraid I haven't tested this so I don't know the answer. Please experiment with it and let us all know :)

Reaction score
    I envision the turret docking block being enterable to acheive this, although the often mentioned "control seats" (which yes i have talked about ways to implement before) could be linked to the same turret dock to provide a remote access point to controlling the turret. We've also discussed a "turret mode" for the ship, in which you gain a method in which to control all of (or a preselected group of, perhaps via a hotkey?) your turrets at once. Nobody likes having to ho outside the main ship to control a turret and die with it when its hit.

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I envision the turret docking block being enterable to acheive this, although the often mentioned "control seats" (which yes i have talked about ways to implement before) could be linked to the same turret dock to provide a remote access point to controlling the turret. We've also discussed a "turret mode" for the ship, in which you gain a method in which to control all of (or a preselected group of, perhaps via a hotkey?) your turrets at once. Nobody likes having to ho outside the main ship to control a turret and die with it when its hit.
    Being able to enter the Turret Dock would be cool, but having linkable chairs/consoles is much neater as you can position the chair anywhere.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Having the ability to activate/deactivate, set modes, and determine targeting from one centralized location for all turrets would be a huge asset. I recently was surprised by the ability to toggle into various turrets using the up/down arrows and was thrilled, but I figuratively shot myself in the foot by doing this because when entering the turrets Bobby AI was turned off, and when I left the turrets it was not turned back on again. As a result I quickly loss the benefit of all of my turrets in sequence, requiring me to EVA during a space battle to toggle them on and set targeting if I wanted them working again.

A quick fix through some cleverly implemented control blocks would be excellent!
    You could have used structure mode to activate them