Suggested Turret control computers

Reaction score
    Something that may benefit ships is a better way to manage turrets. First of all a turret control computer, which is placed on the mother ship, highlighted with "C", then you select a turret port with "V" and from that computer can access the turret, allowing for players (or NPCs) to control a turret from inside the ship.

The second part of this suggestion is a way to both group several turrets together so they target the same entity, and handle things like bobby AI settings quickly and conveniently. First of all the player would place a new block called something along the lines of a Master Control Computer, select it with "C" and connect it to turret ports with "V", then any AI settings could be modified on the computer to apply to all connected turrets. This block would also allow you to chose a turret that would determine which target connected would aim at, allowing for synchronized Turret batteries.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Please, not another computer. This should be made possible via interface.

Reaction score
    Interface would also work. Actually, I would prefer this to be packaged in with the quarters system or control chairs.

Reaction score
    A long long time ago (i can still remember...) i had something very similar suggested here....

i honestly despise the interface for turrets (especially the vincinity of "activate turret AI" and "undock all" buttons)... and logic control for turrets somehow would be very nice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It's a giant friggin' starship. If anything we need more computer options, not less. This isn't exactly a craftsman built wooden house in minecraft, the more we are able to fine tune and control our ships, the better.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    i think all ships mechanics (power capacity, power regen, shield capacity, shield regen, thruster) should be linked to computers so you could have a boarding mechanic with a hacking device that could access these computers and shut down systems

Reaction score
    i think all ships mechanics (power capacity, power regen, shield capacity, shield regen, thruster) should be linked to computers so you could have a boarding mechanic with a hacking device that could access these computers and shut down systems
    I can't say I agree with that really. Maybe as an optional thing, for example placing a computer (or an NPC or whatever) could let you turn off shield chargers of thrusters for better power management, but forcing more computers for it punishes smaller ships, where blocks can be at a premium.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    i honestly despise the interface for turrets (especially the vincinity of "activate turret AI" and "undock all" buttons)... and logic control for turrets somehow would be very nice.
    The interface will be improved.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I've always wanted to consolidate all computers into a single computer "type" that is simply linked to systems to create a context GUI. So if a decorative computer is on its own, it's just decoration. However, if a weapon system is slaved to it, it becomes the weapon computer for that group and can be accessed by a crewmember to fire the weapon. Likewise, if multiple systems (other computers) are slaved to a master computer, that master computer changes from a decorative computer to a control computer with hotbars. (And a non-computer viewpoint if a camera happens to be linked to that computer as well.)

With this paradigm, computers stop being domain-specific 1950s machine controllers and become the generic, programmable tools that we all know them to be. More importantly, you can make a control station look exactly how you want, using the computers you want. For example, maybe I want my turret control station to use one of the decorative server computer blocks, while the FTL drive computer maybe looks like the Orange Decoration Computer Screen. And maybe the primary Ion cannon uses a Stop Module Computer instead of a Cannon Computer.

Reactions: Cornflakes
    Reaction score
    yes having a assigned point on the ship to excess docked turrets sounds to me like a improvement

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    The interface will be improved.
    Keep in mind block based control will be more preferred option when setting up AI factions since the AI won't know how to use said interface since it doesn't have it. We're getting control chairs down the road so hopefully this idea will be one of the many things they can do. :)

Reactions: Pacific_Jim
    Reaction score
    You wouldn't need these on small fighters, only on larger capital ships that have tons of space for computers anyway.

Everything else in StarMade has its own control computer. A massive overhaul of game mechanics would have to happen to change this.

But I do want better turret control, adding grouping, "fire at my target", etc.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    You wouldn't need these on small fighters, only on larger capital ships that have tons of space for computers anyway.

Everything else in StarMade has its own control computer. A massive overhaul of game mechanics would have to happen to change this.

But I do want better turret control, adding grouping, "fire at my target", etc.
    We already have hundreds of different blocks, even with multi blocks, but only 10 measly hotbar slots. I'm not interested in even more actually unnecessary block swapping, if it could be avoided.

Reaction score
    We already have hundreds of different blocks, even with multi blocks, but only 10 measly hotbar slots. I'm not interested in even more actually unnecessary block swapping, if it could be avoided.
    10 slots on a hotbar, but there are a 10 hotbars to switch from, for a total of 100 slots.

Would be a great thing for an NPC station. Any capital ship needs a gunnery officer. Capital ships could benefit from systems that encourage player crews as well.