Bug Turret AI still not working

Reaction score
    Hi, just wanted to say that Missile and Beam Turrets still are not working, before the 0.151 patch the missile turrets were turning and looking at those pirates but now they just do nothing (i tested Missile with Beam slave and Beam Turrets). Cannon turrets are the only ones that seem to work right now for me.

Reaction score
    Yea I just finished redesigning a large battery of Anti-capital class Turrets only to find out none of them work.
    I went back and tore everything down and started from scratch and still nothing.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    In the case of Missiles, did you try adding another weapons to act as the Tracker?
    Missiles + beam give you a Lockon missile, which in the Past Builds needed a AMC so that the turret would track and fire properly :u might still be wonky like that.

And Beams are based off of the Salvage Lasers, and would need a Different Aiming AI (since Beams are Instant travel, they dont need to aim ahead of the target like AMCs do), So I kinda fully expected them to be wonky and not working Right (Then again, when have turrets ever worked right after an update?)

Reactions: gashnal
    Reaction score
    its a Beam array, No I have not, its a good idea I just hate wasting space for a weapon computer and a single AMC just to get the thing to track.
    I will give it a go when I log in next, thanks.

Reaction score
    In the case of Missiles, did you try adding another weapons to act as the Tracker?
    Missiles + beam give you a Lockon missile, which in the Past Builds needed a AMC so that the turret would track and fire properly :u might still be wonky like that.

And Beams are based off of the Salvage Lasers, and would need a Different Aiming AI (since Beams are Instant travel, they dont need to aim ahead of the target like AMCs do), So I kinda fully expected them to be wonky and not working Right (Then again, when have turrets ever worked right after an update?)
    Thanks a lot!
    It actually works like you said. Putting a single AMC+CPU on the turrets gave those Bobby AIs the right incentive to let loose their missiles and beams. I still would not classify that as "working" because it is still completely buggy (beams never seem to hit, Slave systems are firing...) but it is a start :D

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Thanks a lot!
    It actually works like you said. Putting a single AMC+CPU on the turrets gave those Bobby AIs the right incentive to let loose their missiles and beams. I still would not classify that as "working" because it is still completely buggy (beams never seem to hit, Slave systems are firing...) but it is a start :D
    That's really odd, this is what we had to do originally to get SD-BB turrets to fire on targets.

Reaction score
    The AMC did get my missile turrets to track/shoot, but now the damage beams also shoot, even though they are only slaves to the missile...

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    That's really odd, this is what we had to do originally to get SD-BB turrets to fire on targets.
    Its not that odd, As soon as the Beam is slaved its considered a Lockon missile, and probably still uses the same coding and such as the old one, just now stats are done different for it :u

I dont know of a weapon that could help you aim your beams however :u AMCs Need to aim infront of the enemy ship and leads them (And how AI was made to aim), And Beams are required to aim directly at the enemy.
    Maybe Try a Sniper Cannon? The range of the Sniper would cause the beams to fire yet not hit anything, but Those Shot travel the faster, so would be closest to the correct aiming arc you need :u

Turret AI needs a massive reworking x-x

Reaction score
    I never knew of that trick, i tried to do missile turrets but never got them to work :(

Its not that odd, As soon as the Beam is slaved its considered a Lockon missile, and probably still uses the same coding and such as the old one, just now stats are done different for it :u

I dont know of a weapon that could help you aim your beams however :u AMCs Need to aim infront of the enemy ship and leads them (And how AI was made to aim), And Beams are required to aim directly at the enemy.
    Maybe Try a Sniper Cannon? The range of the Sniper would cause the beams to fire yet not hit anything, but Those Shot travel the faster, so would be closest to the correct aiming arc you need :u

Turret AI needs a massive reworking x-x
    You are probably right, but strangely before the last patch at least guided missile turrets (d1000+beam slave) tracked enemy targets just never fired but now pure guided missile turrets (without amc) do nothing (the same as beam turrets were before)

Matt_Bradock

The Shrink
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Looks like you gonna need to have a 10 block AMC setup to actually enable those turrets (10 blocks get you the max default 1000 m range) like old times. At least now lock-on missiles travel a lot faster so they are an actual viable weapon option (or the only viable weapon option since AI generally has a terrible accuracy now)

Reaction score
    I continued testing, i am not very happy with my findings :(

Max firing range for any turret (even with a full sniper cannon that should have 2k range) is below 1km (i think its around 900m but that could be contributed to ship dimensions etc...). The slave systems are firing and thus turrets seem to do more harm to each other and the ship than the target...

Reaction score
    I continued testing, i am not very happy with my findings :(

Max firing range for any turret (even with a full sniper cannon that should have 2k range) is below 1km (i think its around 900m but that could be contributed to ship dimensions etc...). The slave systems are firing and thus turrets seem to do more harm to each other and the ship than the target...
    With one AMC and one beam block for tracking and locking on the damage to the ship/other turrets is negligible, but yes, I could see the big turret capable of actually combating other capitals being counter productive, I will test some myself.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    I played around in Single player and it seems its AI in general that cannot handle the Master and Slave system properly (Ships and Turrets) and it seems there's the return of the "Turrets can hurt the main ship" bug.

I'd be fine if it was just Turrets, since I've come to not even bother with them considering how buggy they seem to get, but if its affecting AI ships as a whole, then that sorta kills any form of SP we had really :u unless you gave them basic weapons.

(On a side note, I think basic cannons on turrets may make an interesting visual effect :p)