Trouble with landing on planets

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    I built a rather tall space craft, so I increased the planet sizes in my game so their gravitational fields could envelop it.

But weird behavior ensued: I couldn't get the planet's gravity to consistently pull on the ship, sometimes the ship would fall, and sometimes it wouldn't. And when it finally seemed to work, my ship spazzed around on the planet surface. It was tumbling and phasing through the ground.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    Yeah, large ships and planets do not work together good yet. At least without docking.

The planet turns slowly around its own axis, when you ship is touching it, being pulled to it by gravity, there are some problems:

- The planet has multiple segements, that try to pull the ship, not sure about the full details on edges or zones with large or curved ships, but only one segment at a time will pull, and if moved over the edge the next will take over, this may have unlucky combinations of playing tennis with the ship on some combinations

- The planet also rotates slowly, this causes a ship with maybe a full plain contact on 50x50 blocks to vibrate a bit, as the turning angle and the gravity will mix up to several forces being summed up.

1) Turn planet -> collision pushing the ship up with additional rotational force as the collision happens only on a few blocks
    2) gravity -> pulling it towards the planet, softening the push-away from collision and also slowing down the turn as the starting rotation will collide on the other end of the contact area -> resulting in out force slowed down by gravity again.

On small ships, this bumping around will settle fast, and mostly fast enough to make it only feel like its jumping one frame or so, like a small vibration from time to time, but on large ships that have their rotational dampening interfering and big mass will result in permanent jumping/bumping around.

You should consider docking any ship above one 'base dockzone' in size to avoid this.
    Docking also disables physics and collision calculations, this may not stress your pc with one ship, but having 30 ships bumping around on a planet will stress your pc.

- Andy

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The ship I built (a medium sized ship) was meant to land on a planet in a peculiar way. It was designed after the rocketships of old, so it was meant to stand as a tower on the planet surface with three fins acting as landing struts. I guess the game isn't ready for such a gimmick just yet. I hope it will be in the future.

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    As chain-docking is possible, you could built a ship, that is docked to a planet, and has landing-platforms itself.

Sure, you cannot land with 'back' touching the planet then, you have to 'obey' dock orientations with it, but at least you could built a lander with landing pods.

- Andy