Tractor beams

Reaction score
    I say any beam with a push of pull effect automatically target any you selected. You could turn this off in the structure tab.

Reaction score
    I was thinking something more like the physics gun from gmod/half life. Take a ship, and either pull it towards you, force it to point the other way, or for the real fun slam it into another ship if collision damage is turned on. Also, for balance reasons, it can only do this on things with a at most twice than the tractor beam. If more than one tractor beam is on a ship, the effect of the tractor beams is added together. So a ton of little fighters (and I mean a lot) can affect a large ship.

Reactions: alij331

Captain Tankman

Cake Build Server Staff
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Isn't it possible to control a single turret via the logic system?

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i suggested this a while ago. i was hoping that in this update they would hav been possible with the effect comps but looks like we're going to need a whole new block from the way the system works right now.

i was thinking that you could link the docking port to the tractor beam computer so that when a ship it's pulling gets within a certain range of the hull it auto-docks to the first docking port available able to fit it. would save a crap load of time trying to manually dock turrets

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I think what we need is a Synchronize Velocity Effect Computer. One that doesn't stop something in world space, but stops it relative to the ship shooting the beam, so you can drag it along.

Reaction score
    Adding tractor beams would make the game a lot cooler and easier!

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Just use a turret with a pull/push/stop beam.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Not everyone has a friend that is most of the time online at the same time you are.

Still it should be (slightly) better if someone pilots a turret.

EDIT: Well lag happened i doubleposted and i cant delete this.
    Great.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...That still doesn't solve much of anything. It's hard to get other people to pilot the most vulnerable component of your ship; furthermore, even if you did manage to get someone (Or an AI crew member was able to man said turret to improve its accuracy), none of the current effects can actually grab entities and synch their velocity with yours. (a.k.a. a standard tractor beam's function.)

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Not everyone has a friend that is most of the time online at the same time you are.

Still it should be (slightly) better if someone pilots a turret.

EDIT: Well lag happened i doubleposted and i cant delete this.
    Great.
    YOU can pilot the turret. You don't need a friend to do it. You can swap between pilot seats of docked entities. Or you can build a hallway or a grav lift or something that lets you access the turret by manually entering.

...That still doesn't solve much of anything. It's hard to get other people to pilot the most vulnerable component of your ship; furthermore, even if you did manage to get someone (Or an AI crew member was able to man said turret to improve its accuracy), none of the current effects can actually grab entities and synch their velocity with yours. (a.k.a. a standard tractor beam's function.)
    With proper timing of the pull effect you can already do this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    YOU can pilot the turret. You don't need a friend to do it. You can swap between pilot seats of docked entities. Or you can build a hallway or a grav lift or something that lets you access the turret by manually entering.
    Then who is going to pilot the ship?
    No one.
    And any decent ship with a turret wont be able to use push modules + logic to move.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Then who is going to pilot the ship?
    No one.
    And any decent ship with a turret wont be able to use push modules + logic to move.
    You can either have a much wider range of targeting with a turret, or use a tractor beam on the main ship with less maneuverability. Or get someone else to pilot your tractor beam turret.

It'd be extremely over powered to have it like the op has suggested.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Tractor beams should use much more energy like the cloaking device.
    Reason is you could freeze enemys with it, and it should be some sort of protection to not do that all the time.