Topic Locked - No reason given

Reaction score
    Alright, my topic "cheat engine and starmade" was locked without any notice given. The thread was not against the forum rules. I have checked prior to, but found nothing that could hold me against. So please, why was it locked, and could it please be unlocked?

Reaction score
    The cheat engine, as nodus is to minecraft, is something that woul drather not be discussed in such a public place as it is an exploit system and can be abused.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    So we\'re anti CE but cool with SMedit? Neato.

I\'m actually kind of curious about community opinion on these two.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I did a quick lookup and the Cheat Engine just looks like a hex editor. Given SMEdit can give you infinate cash without having to hack, yeah, that makes no sense.

My money is on there being an automatic filter that saw the word \"cheat\" and automatically locked the thread. I\'m sure an Admin will clear it up.

Reaction score
    Cheating is perfectly fine in singleplayer - an arbitrary 10x10x10 limit is incredibly annoying with large-scale building. Cheatengine is no different from using admin commands to give yourself materials. My guess is that this was just just overzealous mods.

Reaction score
    It was the mods. If there was an automatic filter, this thread would be gone as well.

Reaction score
    The fact that this thread is still not gone shows that mods are too forgiving. There\'s really no excuse... internet 101.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    The cheat engine can inject code and modify stuff on the fly, and make Starmade do things that it wasn\'t originally intended to do. It can trick the server.

Your program and cheat engine are miles apart: Yours allows you to edit ships. Servers can easily defeat your program by simply not allowing ships to be uploaded.

The cheat engine is a bit harder to defend against.

I don\'t think they should stifle talk about things like cheat engine, but I can understand the mods not wanting to promote it either. Their game, their forums, their rules.

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Cheat engine allows you to inject code and edit packets sent to the server.

SMedit lets you edit and create ships.

Hmmmm... :P

Reaction score
    There\'s not much different from the two: You get the benefit of faster building. With the Cheat Engine, you can\'t really get large and detailed builds. Maybe you can get a simple box, but nothing detailed at all. In servers, you only would have the benefit of the larger cuboid, as that\'s pretty much the only part that would have to be handled client side (If there is anything else handled client side, then that\'s schema\'s fault for making the game easily exploitable through this method). And if you\'re in Singleplayer, who cares? Its your own world, with your own rules.

Now to counter-argue against the SMEditor: You can build ships more easily with SMEditor, I\'m assuming, and it\'s easier to make a hellishly large ship on a server and import it (given that the server has BP enabled, and that\'s a lot of servers).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    First off, it\'s not anyone\'s fault he made the game the way he did, so don\'t even try t go there. If you knew anything about programming JVE you\'d know..

Also, you can\'t use SMedit to build ships. Only make slight modifications - as of right now that is.

And third, CheatEngine is not something people genberally like to discuss openly since it is mainly created to temper with the core of the game - in a way. You use CE to abuse some code and change it to your liking, which was not there to begin with. Like I told you yesterday, if you want to discuss CE do it on their own forums and wait for a reply regarding StarMade. Otherwise you\'d probably risk losing another post of yours..

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    you can build ships in smedit, just make a hull and fill it. I\'ve only done this once though and stuff is all over the place :P

Gasboy

BLRP
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Purchased!
    Where\'s the button to inject code into the live server? Where\'s the packet editor? Oh, SMEdit doesn\'t have those?

Cheat engine does.

There\'s a huge difference between the two.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Oh, I was under the impression that SMedit had the ability to import entire 3d models as ships.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    yes and no. It gets messed up and not really \"ship\" looking. But it works - kind of.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Ok, I\'ll go ahead and give an (at least semi-) official reason for the thread being closed.

Cheat Engine is a great tool. I have used it myself a few times (to make adv build mode place bigger blocks). But, Starmade is a fairly buggy and exploitable game at this point, and CE can make cheating way too easy (duh, its called that for a reason). We\'d rather keep discussion of it away if possible to try to keep hacking of SM down, at least until the game is in a less hackable state.

Reaction score
    Pretty sure you can\'t really edit packets to the servers. And even then, what CAN you edit? That you just gained 10 mill?