Time to raise the credit cap

Reaction score
    The only trouble is that Schema made the game years back, when 32-bit was the norm.

Most computers I know that people use have a 64-bit OS anyway, and converting to it (while it might take a while, no programming exp but don't you have to rebuild the whole thing?) might make the game a bit smoother.

But that's just my opinion.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Lancake Considering every slot in your inventory can hold 2.14 billion blocks of any type and you are limited to 45 different block types it IS possible to build a huge ship not purchasable with blocks. A well built wrapper could simply /load the bp for you and then take the blockset from your current active inventory (all the storage on your ship included) and then also purchase the missing blocks for you.. The whole process would take about 10 seconds. Rendering the purchased ship might take much longer.

Take the last number off every block in the XML. Instead of 450 a hull block might sell for 45. Add a decimal. 4.5 credits for one hull block. Try to hit 2.14 billion now.
    What really needs to happen is a reduction of item prices by 1 or two orders of magnitude.
    See those two quotes? Fixes your problem over night. Actually all you need to do is restart the server. Done.

And if you do this you might have to script a soft cap to make sure that behemoth server b0rker deathcube d*ckbricks don't show up in droves. A good point was made a bit ago:
    Redefining or removing the credit cap will alter the size of ships seen, and whether Star-Made can cope with that is something that needs to be considered, or addressed.
    Let me be clear:
    I am absolutely against increasing the credit limit right now. WHY? Because the server side game can be altered to allow a credit greater value. A higher credit limit won't make a credit any less valuable but the issue here is trying to make it MORE valuable. Not to keep it where it is. What a few folks fail to understand is this is an problem with economics. Not data.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lancake

Head of Testing
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Tester
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Lancake Considering every slot in your inventory can hold 2.14 billion blocks of any type and you are limited to 45 different block types it IS possible to build a huge ship not purchasable with blocks. A well built wrapper could simply /load the bp for you and then take the blockset from your current active inventory (all the storage on your ship included) and then also purchase the missing blocks for you.. The whole process would take about 10 seconds. Rendering the purchased ship might take much longer.

See those two quotes? Fixes your problem over night. Actually all you need to do is restart the server. Done.

And if you do this you might have to script a soft cap to make sure that behemoth server b0rker deathcube d*ckbricks don't show up in droves. A good point was made a bit ago:

Let me be clear:
    I am absolutely against increasing the credit limit right now. WHY? Because the server side game can be altered to allow a credit greater value. A higher credit limit won't make a credit any less valuable but the issue here is trying to make it MORE valuable. Not to keep it where it is. What a few folks fail to understand is this is an problem with economics. Not data.
    Its not about the amount you can buy with credits, its the fact that larger and larger ships are being built every day. A limit is just that, a limit. It is a restriction that allows big servers like us to advertise a "bank" feature. It helps with no one.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I use the bank feature to not lose credits when I get splattered on someone's main view screen.
    There are ways to limit how big a ship is allowed to be on load. They'd have to build on from there.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I use the bank feature to not lose credits when I get splattered on someone's main view screen.
    There are ways to limit how big a ship is allowed to be on load. They'd have to build on from there.
    Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that poorly managed servers sometimes put limits on ship sizes. ElwynEternity has always been centered around a non-restrictive environment. The credits limit, in my opinion, helps no one. It instead only restricts what is possible.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that poorly managed servers sometimes put limits on ship sizes. ElwynEternity has always been centered around a non-restrictive environment. The credits limit, in my opinion, helps no one. It instead only restricts what is possible.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I never said any specific server has any such limit. Simply that it is possible.
    This is not the time to start up credit limits. It may never be time. Adjust your economy. It's almost as easy as all this back seat driving.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I never said any specific server has any such limit. Simply that it is possible.
    This is not the time to start up credit limits. It may never be time. Adjust your economy. It's almost as easy as all this back seat driving.
    I never said any specific server either. I was simply saying that I, personally, wouldn't want to play on a server that. I want freedom and lack of restrictions. Editing the economy is not the answer. Some servers might want some blocks to cost more or less depending on the play styles they would like to promote. ElwynEternity is centered around a PVP experience. One of the great thing that come from PVP are plunders of war, which with the current credit limit, cannot be fully appreciated without the use of external plugins/mods. I'd love for the game, in a "vanilla" state, to allow for such a play style.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    It does. Adjust the cost of blocks. You're done.
    And allow people to spawn in really large ships that cost a fraction of what they should. The credit cap will still be met, it may take longer than a few hours, but it will happen.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    That's the trade off bucko. And it'll be much harder to meet if a 450 cred block goes down to 4.5 creds.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    That's the trade off bucko. And it'll be much harder to meet if a 450 cred block goes down to 4.5 creds.
    They nom on planets for a few days and then they can afford it. It...doesn't really solve the problem, only delays it.

Reactions: gravypod
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    They nom on planets for a few days and then they can afford it. It...doesn't really solve the problem, only delays it.
    You are correct Vyor, I agree 100%.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Why does there have to be a trade off? If there is no limit, both administration styles would be catered to.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Why does there have to be a trade off? If there is no limit, both administration styles would be catered to.
    there will always be a limit of some kind ,
    if it was truly unlimited there would theoretically be the possibility for 1 player to amass enough credits to take the entire server memory allocation just to store his credits.
    (never underestimate those players that simply must find the limit when you say its unlimited) :P

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I would like a rounder limit, not the current one which looks weird (like 2.1, 2.2, etc?).