Thunderdome | 100 players | Dedicated 32gb ram

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Periodically, as in every 2-3 days, completely delete/reset all sectors with a number higher then 15 in their coordinates. Or something along those lines. Or depending on how the \"voidsys\" thing works and what is the optimal value for this, something similar. Basically, force people to keep their bases and primary activities (protected or otherwise) within a certain distance of spawn.

At present, the \"PvP\" is completely... lacking. Because people go fly off 40 sectors away where no one will ever find them. Its a problem on pretty much EVERY server, but is especially so on so-called PvP ones because people simply never run into each other if they are allowed to just fly off into oblivion without worry.

Oh, people can still fly off to who-knows where. They will just need to make sure they don\'t leave anything valuable out there as it would get deleted on the next sector-reset. In fact, the resets will give newer players a place they know fly to and know they will be able to perform \"start-up farming\" without it already being completely stripped.

But what about being safe, you ask? Um, this is a PVP SERVER. A Survival one at that. Safe doesn\'t exist. Except that it does, because factions exist and you can use a faction home base to keep something as safe as you want it to be. Even if that faction home base is only 3 sectors from spawn (trust me, I\'ve kept things of my own plenty safe at such close distances, you just need to actually put in a half hour of legwork to build a home base station somewhere, or join a faction that has one, and dock your ship to it). So heck, safety/anti-griefing isn\'t even a concern with restrictions on permenant sectors for NON-survival-PVP servers, let alone one that claims to be a survival PvP server.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    KuramaFox, I think there needs to be something added to the core game that forces PvP.

Something like an area that you hold that gives a buff/resources/credits/etc.

And I do like your suggestion of clearing sectors past 15 as a stop gap measure. However right now so many people have their bases out there. If we do a server wipe after an update that would be the time to implement that kind of change.

Reaction score
    Despite my best efforts , remote faction homebases are mostly safe for interference , freely stockpiling resources for doomships to rampage with later...

I had already posted about this for a more general solution : http://star-made.org/content/sector-dependent-resource-distribution (apparently Schema is also planning on similar mechanics to drive player conflict)

In the meantime , manufacturing is broken so I assume the economy is going to stall for a while...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yea the economy is screwed right now, but we are holding fights in the Thunderdome

Reaction score
    It had to be yours :p

This is a problem for various reasons - the population being scattered and seeking ships to loot , but more importantly the lack of blueprints do not allow for standard race ships in larger events.

Also , only fully contained arenas such as this dome can prevent interference...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Still looking for some solid admins (potentially with linux experience)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    socket00 streaming live fights right now http://www.twitch.tv/captainn_spaulding

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    from Socket on whether cloaking and jamming is allowed in the dome. I haven\'t played on the server but if I were to the only thing I think I would do would be the dome. I would like an answer on this subject as I would like to come in at least a little prepared.

Reaction score
    I don\'t believe it\'s disallowed, or it would be in the rules. And I believe I heard someone discussing that it had been tried before. However, keep in mind that you have a short time to build in a 10 x 10 x 10 space. So don\'t expect to build it 10 x 10 x 10. I think power consumption would be difficult to manage, but can\'t hurt to experiment.

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I\'d just like to thank Hexane for the server. Although it has it\'s own problems (Every server does, it\'s mostly due to alpha code) I\'ve found a home for myself and my faction in it, as well as good friends/enemies in Star Core.

Glory to Blitzwing! Glory to the Federation!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just seems like its taking a bit longer then many servers to roll out the latest patch. Also, free bump for you.

Edit: New patch out, and you never even got around to getting to the previous patch it seems.