Thrust should be stronger in the forward direction

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Because forward is the direction ships want to move fastest in.

The reason I think this is because combat is sooo STUPID right now due to thrust being equal in all directions.
    This makes slow turning speed less of a bad thing since the player can just thrust backwards to try to get a better shot. If you look at games like Elite Dangerous their combat looks so much more fun than just standing face v face and whoever wins is the person who gets a lock on first or who has the most shields. I propose that it is like this;

100% server max speed in forward direction
    25% in all others.

I know Calbiri made a thread, but until then I think this would be a simple feature to make combat more "intense" and maneuvering an actual mechanic. Now you will be turing all over the place to try to get to an angle to shoot the enemy.

the maneuvering in this game elite dangerous is so nice and starmade could learn a few things from them

Last edited:
    Reactions: MeanIndividual
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like it to some point
    But it should be exceptions for hovers, helis, or things like that.

I don't like the current idea you can set your thrust in % in every direction. I don't see how setting 16% in every direction and packing a lot of thrust would be different from what we have now.

So I am supporting this over the "schine suggestion" ^^' But I still pray for a not-half-assed solution: something that would take the center of mass of the ship to turn around and where every thruster position is taken into account.

Reaction score
    A link to the "shine suggestion" please.?

We should just add directional thrusters, which is actually the same as we have now, except it should matter which way they turn.

Then you can choose yourself, if you want an all around thrust, like now, just weaker,
    or you want really good forward thrust and minimum side thrust.

Maybe even RCS to increase turn rate

Reaction score
    I would like to see thruster position and direction take into account. I think it'd be hilarious to have a slow, clunky ship that can instantly hit max speed going sideways. Just think about seeing that... go ahead and picture that.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I would like to see thruster position and direction take into account. I think it'd be hilarious to have a slow, clunky ship that can instantly hit max speed going sideways. Just think about seeing that... go ahead and picture that.
    *target zips suddenly sideways* "The Force is STRONG with this one!"

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Reaction score
    My forward thrust is usually strong, just ask ur mam lel

Forward thrust is fine as it is IMO, but good suggestions anyway.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Idea would work for the average ship, but for something like a cargo tram (which needs back-thrust equal to it's forward) or defense drones that only use enough thrust to stop their movements (keeps them from being bumped away).

I find it slightly limiting, and if they got to the stage that they could do this, they'd be halfway to completely their own system I think.

I don't like the current idea you can set your thrust in % in every direction. I don't see how setting 16% in every direction and packing a lot of thrust would be different from what we have now.
    The main difference is that even with equal thrust in all directions, it'd be either slower, or mostly thrust with weak shields/weapons. I dunno, but I don't think they would allow the system to be circumvented that easily/cheaply.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    No. This is a bad idea, because it locks people into specific thruster ratings, while Calbiri and his proposed system allow for full customization of thrust percentages.

Reaction score
    No. This is a bad idea, because it locks people into specific thruster ratings, while Calbiri and his proposed system allow for full customization of thrust percentages.
    True, but I do not see why the customization should be numbers we put into, say a thrust computer,
    and not decided by the percentage of thruster modules pointing in the different directions.

This will also encourage more creative ways to build the ship thrusters.

Of course, I must admit it is easier to control numbers, than modules.
    It just seems too arcade to me.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    True, but I do not see why the customization should be numbers we put into, say a thrust computer,
    and not decided by the percentage of thruster modules pointing in the different directions.

Of course, I must admit it is easier to control numbers, than modules.
    It just seems too arcade to me.
    Because it would be an absurdly massive pain to make thrusters face specific ways to get thrust in that direction.

Ideally, you should only be able to change thrust percentages while docked, to prevent on-the-fly thruster changes.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    There is nothing stopping you from being creative with Calbiri's system either. If you want to make side facing thrusters, you can, and then give them the thrust strength through the numbers.
    Forcing people to build sideways facing thrusters doesn't encourage more creative designs, it more-so demands it and offers you a chance to make something of it.

Reaction score
    Ideally, you should only be able to change thrust percentages while docked, to prevent on-the-fly thruster changes.
    Eh. You won me over..

Here I was writing pretty much the same thing as CyperTao above ^
    Glad we agree! :p

Reaction score
    I understand my concept isn't the favorite of everyone, and does have its flaws, but at the same time the goal was to create a system with which you could design the performance *and looks* of your ship without being forced to fit a specific template (not all space ships have rockets on the back.)

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to read my brick wall of a post (linked above.) but to summarize for those here, the intent was not only to limit the thrust applied in a specific direction, but also the maximum speed in that direction. I know this doesn't quite follow reality, but reality doesn't apply in a universe where things have to have time to load before you approach them (hence a max server speed.) So if you set 50% thrust forward, you also get 50% of the maximum speed in the forward direction. I have read the posts suggesting the direction thrust block placement (relative to the ships center of boxdim or mass) as well as those suggesting that we treat the server max speed as an artificial light speed, with the same sort of exponential curve increase to the energy needed to accelerate further. I've mentioned all of this in discussions with Schema and if its possible to incorporate them with the direction % setting I proposed then I'd happily see all of those concepts implemented. There's nothing conceptually precluding the use of directional thrusters setting the max thrust per direction and then a max speed per direction based on the artificial light speed exponential scale of energy cost to continue acceleration. Schema however may chose not to incorporate some of these suggestions for gameplay or performance (software or hardware) considerations.

It could be fun to have more realistic stuff, but the goal isn't to be a strictly accurate physics simulation engine, we want the other aspects of this game to remain fun as well. Nothing is set in stone yet, and we all agree at least that the current thrust system leaves one chasing titans as they fly backwards at full speed... :P I hope we can come up with a solution that most are happy with.

Thanks for your time reading my poorly thought out response :D

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    I know this doesn't quite follow reality, but reality doesn't apply in a universe where things have to have time to load before you approach them (hence a max server speed.)
    The universe does have a max speed, although it's just WAY higher than the server-max speeds. But one can still consider the oddities and relativistic effects if c were 300 m/s. It's quite fun actually xD.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    The universe does have a max speed, although it's just WAY higher than the server-max speeds. But one can still consider the oddities and relativistic effects if c were 300 m/s. It's quite fun actually xD.
    yeah, 300 m/s is quite a nice speed - they have it that on the server elwyneternity.