Read by Council Thrust mechanics ajustments

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I like the way thrust is handled in Starmade, but there are just a few things that bug me.

First off, decelerating using LSHIFT is much slower than hitting reverse when you have your thrust set forward/back higher than the default. Do if you're going at top speed, it's all to often you overshoot your destination. Hitting reverse is faster, but change your heading a little bit using the mouse and your reversing in a different direction and now have a completely different vector to deal with. Deceleration using LSHIFT should slow you down just ad fast as your top speed in any direction IMO.

Second, I don't see why a ship would have full thrust forward and back. If the majority of my thrusters are at the back of my ship, then how could it go backwards as fast as it can go forwards?

Thoughts?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Second, I don't see why a ship would have full thrust forward and back. If the majority of my thrusters are at the back of my ship, then how could it go backwards as fast as it can go forwards?
    Devs wanted not too many sliders I have heard somewhere here in the forums.

As much as I agree with you, but if implemented, peoples want a up/down difference and then others say : we have 5, why not just enable the 6th direction too?

It might also be a way to balance ships that want backward travel as fast as forward vs ships from builders that want both. (you cannot gain even more combat advantage by decreasing backward thrust).

Reactions: Zaphord
    Reaction score
    In the thread here, Gyro Dampeners, I was talking about adding a braking device to the game, I think this will accomplish a similar end, but I do tend to agree with you that LShift should slow you as fast as thrust.

Reactions: Zaphord
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Devs wanted not too many sliders I have heard somewhere here in the forums.

As much as I agree with you, but if implemented, peoples want a up/down difference and then others say : we have 5, why not just enable the 6th direction too?

It might also be a way to balance ships that want backward travel as fast as forward vs ships from builders that want both. (you cannot gain even more combat advantage by decreasing backward thrust).
    If I could take the thrust that is normally put towards backward thrust and put it in another direction then it would increase a ship's agility somewhat. That's how I see it anyway.