Read by Council Gyro Dampener - Ship Brakes or Dampener

Good idea or bad idea?

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Simple Idea

Gyro Dampener (ship dampener) --- The idea is that you could have a computer and modules that will allow you to set how quickly your ship stops. This could be based on a mass to number of modules ratio to make it more balanced, but it could be used as a braking device for fast ships or for super large ships.

EDIT: This should be a much faster stop than using thrusters in reverse, and also could be used by logic to create automatic braking systems.

PS: The reason I stated "Gyro Dampener" is because I was always curious if you could use gyros as a magnetic brake for a ship in space since they do create friction when you move one while it's spinning.

Let me know what you think. Add some ideas, additions, criticisms, ect. :D

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    How is this better than Overdrive to buff thrust which can be used to break?

Reaction score
    How is this better than Overdrive to buff thrust which can be used to break?
    The idea is to be more powerful for breaking not just using thrust in reverse, but rather a better break. Also forgot to put this in the original post so I will edit it in, but it could be used by logic to create an automatic breaking mechanism if no one is in the ship.

Reaction score
    First, you've mis-spelled Brake once near the end of your concept. [/pedant]

Now, as to the concept itself.
    Yes. This is actuallly a good thing.

I know I typically set my spaceships to have, say 75% of the thrust as rotational, and only about 11% of the remainder going towards "left/right strafing" and another 11% to "up/down strafing".

I have a very difficult time stopping my sideways momentum.
    Before you say "just set thrust as moar strafing" or "just face the direction you're moving in"; I have the settings the way I do because they're my general travel settings, and I'd rather use that than the combat ones since we cannot yet save/load a thrust profile.
    and I cannot simply "face the direction of inertia" because I'm in fecking combat. I need to be facing the player/pirate battle-wagon that just jumped me.

So yes, I'm in favor of this "better Inertial Braking" thing.

Reactions: NeonSturm
    Reaction score
    First, you've mis-spelled Brake once near the end of your concept. [/pedant]

Now, as to the concept itself.
    Yes. This is actuallly a good thing.

I know I typically set my spaceships to have, say 75% of the thrust as rotational, and only about 11% of the remainder going towards "left/right strafing" and another 11% to "up/down strafing".

I have a very difficult time stopping my sideways momentum.
    Before you say "just set thrust as moar strafing" or "just face the direction you're moving in"; I have the settings the way I do because they're my general travel settings, and I'd rather use that than the combat ones since we cannot yet save/load a thrust profile.
    and I cannot simply "face the direction of inertia" because I'm in fecking combat. I need to be facing the player/pirate battle-wagon that just jumped me.

So yes, I'm in favor of this "better Inertial Braking" thing.
    Fixed the spelling error in the OP. Sorry about that been really tired lately. :D

EDIT: I was also kind of thinking about the implications this could have for racing. If anyone has any thoughts on that let me know.

Last edited: