This Is What Our Council Should Be Like

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    Ooo Ooo Ooo! o/ we should have the famous and rich people on here buy politicians and hold secret meetings about ruining the lives of the lower people because it seems to work out so well for the billionaires and trillionaires in real life...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    A party full of unknowns gets no votes.
    Can't agree. Only leader needs to be recognizeable or their "brand".
    It's like PC Game, don't needs popular devs to be popular.

You create party, You tells everyone what ideas for game Your party will suggest. And if people will like Your thinking style they will vote for You.

Let sey I'm creating party that wants this game to be more rp. They will fight for rp style suggestions. And players who like rp will vote for them. There can be also party that will like this game to become survival game they will vote for survival party.

Let's say that most peoples want survival party. After few big updates people will start to think that there is too much rp updates and few survival related updates would be cool. They will vote for survival party then.

This system is far more balanced that current. You vote for people not for ideas. Council needs to manage suggestions so it will better represent people if they will be more clear.

Also if There will be party system then there will be less chooses than now. Currently there is too much candidates it's too hard to read all these applications and select the one who will represent You best.

Last edited:

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Only leader needs to be recognizeable or their "brand"
    That is worse, since by voting in a party lead by someone known, you'd also be potentially putting in people whom you do not know. Sure there is the do as I say or be booted thing, but that can only really take affect afterwards. Meaning you could put someone in there that would utterly wreck it while he is there. If a person wants to be reelected they will behave, but not everyone would want that.

There are too many pitfalls with any system. PR is not better than STV in this instance. They are probably just about equal in terms of ups and downs.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That is worse, since by voting in a party lead by someone known, you'd also be potentially putting in people whom you do not know. Sure there is the do as I say or be booted thing, but that can only really take affect afterwards. Meaning you could put someone in there that would utterly wreck it while he is there. If a person wants to be reelected they will behave, but not everyone would want that.

There are too many pitfalls with any system. PR is not better than STV in this instance. They are probably just about equal in terms of ups and downs.
    Currently there are bigger pitfalls in current system:
    1. Person is more recognizeable than views of that person. So this person can't represent community. Many people voted someone just because they saw their name somewhere before.
    2. There is too big choose of candidates. You can't choose anyone who will fit well with Your views if there is 30+ applications to read.
    Party will need to vote together so they need mutual views. It can better represent their electorate.

Connection of those 2 pitfalls makes current system totally useless as it can't in any way reflect views of people who voted on them.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    Assuming people don't just make 1 person parties. You get stuck in a place where people who are new and want to make a impact have to join a group and work his way up to ever. You'll also end up with changing parties over time, eventually resulting in a council full of smaller councils, and all that will do is slow stuff down.

You'll still have problems with people voting based solely on the name, because the same people you watch now will no doubt show their association. What that means is it may lead to over representation; people voting for a party because they know a popular guy in it, resulting in a party that takes up more seats in the council because it has popular members. That doesn't sound all that helpful.

Is there too many candidates? Maybe, but everyone is allowed to run. Maybe a set of basic preliminaries beforehand to weed out some of the candidates that might not have any chance.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Assuming people don't just make 1 person parties. You get stuck in a place where people who are new and want to make a impact have to join a group and work his way up to ever. You'll also end up with changing parties over time, eventually resulting in a council full of smaller councils, and all that will do is slow stuff down.
    Assuming everyone can be candidate to be councillor - there is the same possible amount of candidates. But nature of parties will reduce number of chooses just because of nature of parties itself.

Party also will need to have enough votes to fill up free seats in council with their people.

You'll still have problems with people voting based solely on the name, because the same people you watch now will no doubt show their association. What that means is it may lead to over representation; people voting for a party because they know a popular guy in it, resulting in a party that takes up more seats in the council because it has popular members. That doesn't sound all that helpful.
    If You vote for party You will first see name of that party, lower their motto/style of thinking and later leader. People will not think about leader that much like in real life. Even if You will see popular man as party leader You will also see party next to it. And if party style (rp/survival/hardcore etc.) will be underlined enough good You will not vote for anyone popular who will make Your game worser for You.

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    People will not think about leader that much like in real life
    Bit this isn't real life. By that logic, people should know factions more than their members, and that is false. People know the members before the group, and any form of party will end up being like factions (in a way, I can see the 2 becoming one depending on how it ends up).

Hell. You run into issues with "PR", people who fluff and stretch things to gather more votes. We don't see what happens in the council's private chats and forums remembers, we don't know what interactions occur (NDA and all). What we'd get is a party's rep lying to us and gather more votes for their candidates. People react to the loudest voices, you can't deny that, and this really opens up the way to smear campaigns and mass misrepresentation. I mean, look at real life :d I don't live in a fancy city, so most of the "promises" we get is small time stuff that rarely ever happens because we are just that unimportant, save for our votes.

Real life politics is a joke, and most of that joke falls on parties in my honest opinion. Things go from being equals to being objectively more influential. There is no benefit.

(rp/survival/hardcore etc.)
    ALL councilors should understand these. They do not have any power to make the game more like X or Y. Not understanding RP just means you are useless for topics that involve decorative blocks or edit-ability of some systems/mechanics. So Everyone would either put up all 3 or suffer from it.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Bit this isn't real life. By that logic, people should know factions more than their members, and that is false. People know the members before the group, and any form of party will end up being like factions (in a way, I can see the 2 becoming one depending on how it ends up).
    If someone is interested in factions then He will know faction. If He is not He will know only members because He will meet them in various ways. In voting He will vote for parties not members. Just imagine screen similiar to council voting but instead You will see names of parties, their style etc. Will You vote for parties on members?

Hell. You run into issues with "PR", people who fluff and stretch things to gather more votes. We don't see what happens in the council's private chats and forums remembers, we don't know what interactions occur (NDA and all). What we'd get is a party's rep lying to us and gather more votes for their candidates. People react to the loudest voices, you can't deny that, and this really opens up the way to smear campaigns and mass misrepresentation. I mean, look at real life :d I don't live in a fancy city, so most of the "promises" we get is small time stuff that rarely ever happens because we are just that unimportant, save for our votes.
    Parties in SM will not need to promise anything. You will vote for party that will have mutual views with You. There are no money and power. People will not be that motivated like in real life to do scams and massive misinterpretations.
    In real life there are lobbysts, systems between politician and private persons. So they sometimes influence at minds of party to make their buissnesses.

ALL councilors should understand these. They do not have any power to make the game more like X or Y. Not understanding RP just means you are useless for topics that involve decorative blocks or edit-ability of some systems/mechanics. So Everyone would either put up all 3 or suffer from it.
    This one will exist in every system so it don't charges party system. You also can choose counciliors who will not understeand rp.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    That doesn't stop them from doing so, sadly
    In real life parties can promise because they have something that they can promise. In SM they can only suggest to devs and reflect social moods. What do they could promise?

Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    In real life parties can promise because they have something that they can promise. In SM they can only suggest to devs and reflect social moods. What do they could promise?
    Pretty much everything: making a promise does not require being able to fulfill said promise, sadly.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Ok, to start, NO POLITICS, especially in a game. Also, I will state that I, and other people, I'm sure, read each one of the council applications, and voted for my preference on personal bias. That being said, I voted for only one of the current council members. Now, that does not in any way detract from my opinion of them. We, as a community for a great game, have a unique opportunity to have a small amount of say in game's progress and mechanics. I played minecraft, as an example, and it took forever to get a response to a question, forget about player suggestions making it to the game until recently. Let's stop trying to nitpick apart our Devs descisions, and try to make our voice (council members) as useful and diverse as possible

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    Ok, to start, NO POLITICS, especially in a game. Also, I will state that I, and other people, I'm sure, read each one of the council applications, and voted for my preference on personal bias. That being said, I voted for only one of the current council members. Now, that does not in any way detract from my opinion of them. We, as a community for a great game, have a unique opportunity to have a small amount of say in game's progress and mechanics. I played minecraft, as an example, and it took forever to get a response to a question, forget about player suggestions making it to the game until recently. Let's stop trying to nitpick apart our Devs descisions, and try to make our voice (council members) as useful and diverse as possible
    I would add 9000+ "agrees" to that if I could.