This game is now pointless

Reaction score
    Hey there just ranting as I liked this game but after years of the same fucking issue of massive chunks of my ships disappearing for no reason between loads I have finally given up on this POS and have deleted it from my steam library.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Hey there just ranting as I liked this game but after years of the same fucking issue of massive chunks of my ships disappearing for no reason between loads I have finally given up on this POS and have deleted it from my steam library.
    Cool story, throw-away account guy.

Kamikaze mission accomplished?

Reactions: Sachys
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Well DrTarDIS that's an interesting tidbit, I'll sure remember that one if it ever happens to me.
    I don't build that big, so I did not experience this phenomenon ever, but never say never. ;)

Greets,

Jan

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    There's a "force disk write completion" option in one of the .cfg files that fixes this problem. It's flag got set to "false" instead of "true" a couple builds ago because reasons. Set it back to "true" and your problem will disappear, since disk-write cache wont screw-up chunk writes anymore.
    Which file?

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    server.cfg i think. Can't remember if it's the one in starmade root, or /data/config. Change both to be sure. Keep backup copies in case you edit something else and break the install. Keep backup copies of your edited versions too, since updating the game often overwrites them and sets them back to default if schine changed any default values or added new ones. If that happens Notepad++ is useful for comparing values between two versions to see what's changed.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Likeable
    server.cfg i think. Can't remember if it's the one in starmade root, or /data/config. Change both to be sure. Keep backup copies in case you edit something else and break the install. Keep backup copies of your edited versions too, since updating the game often overwrites them and sets them back to default if schine changed any default values or added new ones. If that happens Notepad++ is useful for comparing values between two versions to see what's changed.
    Changing anything in /data/config is bad. Don't do it. data/config is the default settings and anything there is subject to change/overwrite on update. Any settings in the root or custom* folders will be merged over the settings in /data/config. They will not be overwritten by updates. Having the default settings in data/config is also useful in the event of needing to reset back to default as you can just copy the appropriate file to the root folder as needed.
    Line 152 of server.cfg
    Code:
    starmade$ cat server.cfg | grep -n DISK
    152:FORCE_DISK_WRITE_COMPLETION = false //FORCE_DISK_WRITE_COMPLETION

Reactions: DrTarDIS