The ultimate drone R&D thread

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Safety switches and paranoia sequence shutdown enforcers are awesome - you still have to handle racks with care, though. Docked stuff colliding with something can sometimes just be blown off the dock (is that a mechanic?).

For instance, if I ram a rack with a ship at very high speeds (note that an accidential rotation of the rack while piloting it into the bay can have the same effect), with no activation triggers in the play (or simply a disarmed rack), then there will most likely be one catastrophic undocking mess. If that is a mechanic, I would really want it to go out of the window.
    That has never happened to me. Admittedly I don't usually collide with stuff :p. I got the space drift skillz *cough* holding down the shift key to slow down *cough*

Reaction score
    My current drone project is to make "TIE Fighter" Drones: ultra cheap, yet effective at doing damage at their size and mass, and at confusing enemy turrets. My main combat ship is a half-size Star Destroyer (800m long vs 1600m long), and plan on fielding 100+ of these drones.

Its interesting that the TIE Fighter lore says the wings are solar arrays, but I found that putting reactor blocks in the wings greatly increases power output. The cockpit is full of cannons, overdrive modules, and thrusters. Overdrive modules increase the cost, but allow a very low mass drone that is still effective. I'm really impressed with the results.

I will continue to report back with results, and will make other TIE Models into drones. I'll be happy to answer any questions.
    i can see a BIG set of problems with your tie fighter right now:
    1. what's that pilot module for? bobby AI doesn't use, and does not need to use, a pilot module. it just adds more cost and takes away a spot for another block.
    2. waaaaay to much hull. you could be putting a ton more reactors, thrusters, weapons, ect, on those wings, and you just put hulls there! yes i know the real one had those tiny turrets in the front, but just at least put some missiles inside the wings. it will look the same, and trust me, no one is going to cosplay in a drone. your projectiles don't collide with your ship. same goes for turrets.
    3. three words: use advanced hulls.
    4. i can't locate a single shield reactor on it. you need something to compensate for that lack of advanced hulls.
    5. those weapons are tiny. your bulk of your ship should be reactors and weapons. those cannons are 5 blocks long each, tops that makes a horrible DPS.
    6. drones are already credulously low mass. your adding of overdrive modules only makes the ship more fragile, and dependent on random bursts. i don't even think the AI uses it on a ship's thrust, but feel free to correct me on that.
    7. you don't need plexglass in this case. since the core is touching the hull in the direction of view, it's unnecessary. even to pilot it. which you should NEVER EVER DO, as that's what drone racks are for.

that bomber looks good too, but it has similar problems.

Reaction score
    i can see a BIG set of problems with your tie fighter right now:
    1. what's that pilot module for? bobby AI doesn't use, and does not need to use, a pilot module. it just adds more cost and takes away a spot for another block.
    2. waaaaay to much hull. you could be putting a ton more reactors, thrusters, weapons, ect, on those wings, and you just put hulls there! yes i know the real one had those tiny turrets in the front, but just at least put some missiles inside the wings. it will look the same, and trust me, no one is going to cosplay in a drone. your projectiles don't collide with your ship. same goes for turrets.
    3. three words: use advanced hulls.
    4. i can't locate a single shield reactor on it. you need something to compensate for that lack of advanced hulls.
    5. those weapons are tiny. your bulk of your ship should be reactors and weapons. those cannons are 5 blocks long each, tops that makes a horrible DPS.
    6. drones are already credulously low mass. your adding of overdrive modules only makes the ship more fragile, and dependent on random bursts. i don't even think the AI uses it on a ship's thrust, but feel free to correct me on that.
    7. you don't need plexglass in this case. since the core is touching the hull in the direction of view, it's unnecessary. even to pilot it. which you should NEVER EVER DO, as that's what drone racks are for.

that bomber looks good too, but it has similar problems.
    1. The camera is just for looks, and if you wanted to pilot the thing yourself. I suppose you are right, you really don't need it.
    2. Yeah, right on that one too. I focused too much on making it LOOK like a TIE Fighter rather than optimizing power and damage. But I also wanted it to be super cheap, and 10 cannons makes a nice round number to estimate costs.
    3. Three more words: ultra low cost. I plan on fielding THOUSANDS of these drones if possible, and if they are going to die to a single missile hit anyways, might as well make them cheap and disposable.
    4. TIE Fighters very rarely had shields, and its another way to keep the costs way down. On the server I play on, we had a map reset about a month ago, and shields are at a premium. I may add shields to later designs though.
    5. The cannons have a 10 block overdrive attached to them, and that increases the damage by 6x. So its really a 60 cannon weapon. I had to make some concessions to keep it looking like a TIE Fighter, rather than a cube of cannons.
    6. The overdrive is attached to the weapons, and no, the drones don't appear to move in a way that would benefit from extra speed.
    7. Again this is just for looks, and a little bit extra protection for the important blocks. And I may want to pilot them for fun vs Faction mates, or as a shuttle to impress the noobs.

Thanks for the feedback, it has given me some good ideas for the next version of TIE's.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    1. The camera is just for looks, and if you wanted to pilot the thing yourself. I suppose you are right, you really don't need it.
    2. Yeah, right on that one too. I focused too much on making it LOOK like a TIE Fighter rather than optimizing power and damage. But I also wanted it to be super cheap, and 10 cannons makes a nice round number to estimate costs.
    3. Three more words: ultra low cost. I plan on fielding THOUSANDS of these drones if possible, and if they are going to die to a single missile hit anyways, might as well make them cheap and disposable.
    Some thoughts of mine on this, if that's alright with you fellas? :)

Ultra low cost drones should take into account the number of docking blocks they will need as well. Being 17 blocks tall uses about 5 blocks. That's more in the heavy drone size range than the expendable low cost range. Try shrinking it down to about a 9x9 that'd be much cheaper and you could fit vastly more of them. Which seems to be what you're planning to do.

Also on ultra low cost, numbers > damage. You could (I have so I know this works) actually use just the basic cannons and up your number of drones by 2x-3x to get roughly the same results. I use OD on weapons with large cool-downs for a solid burst at range, usually lasers/small missiles. Cannons with OD.... meh I'd go for it if you're talking about a shield breaker but otherwise nah. Just get more cannons and save the expense of those darned effect computers(which is like buying 20 guns a piece anyways).

So yeah ultra low cost means small in size too. If you reduce the wings down and chop a single layer of the center core off the top and bottom.
    ___
    --/------\----cut this layer out <--
    -/---------\
    /------------\
    |-------------|
    \------------/
    -\---------/
    --\------/----and cut this layer too <--

You'll end up with this...
    -- _____
    -/---------\
    /------------\
    |-------------|
    \------------/
    -\______/

Which is still very Tie-esque and saves you like 18-ish blocks that could be spent elsewhere.

I'd also recommend reducing the bomber's size a bit, but it's more gorgeous than the Tie :cool:. So it's problems are excused. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
    Some thoughts of mine on this, if that's alright with you fellas? :)

Ultra low cost drones should take into account the number of docking blocks they will need as well. Being 17 blocks tall uses about 5 blocks. That's more in the heavy drone size range than the expendable low cost range. Try shrinking it down to about a 9x9 that'd be much cheaper and you could fit vastly more of them. Which seems to be what you're planning to do.

Also on ultra low cost, numbers > damage. You could (I have so I know this works) actually use just the basic cannons and up your number of drones by 2x-3x to get roughly the same results. I use OD on weapons with large cool-downs for a solid burst at range, usually lasers/small missiles. Cannons with OD.... meh I'd go for it if you're talking about a shield breaker but otherwise nah. Just get more cannons and save the expense of those darned effect computers(which is like buying 20 guns a piece anyways).

So yeah ultra low cost means small in size too. If you reduce the wings down and chop a single layer of the center core off the top and bottom.
    ___
    --/------\----cut this layer out <--
    -/---------\
    /------------\
    |-------------|
    \------------/
    -\---------/
    --\------/----and cut this layer too <--

You'll end up with this...
    -- _____
    -/---------\
    /------------\
    |-------------|
    \------------/
    -\______/

Which is still very Tie-esque and saves you like 18-ish blocks that could be spent elsewhere.

I'd also recommend reducing the bomber's size a bit, but it's more gorgeous than the Tie :cool:. So it's problems are excused. :rolleyes:
    listen to him, he has more drones than keptic.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    listen to him, he has more drones than keptic.
    That's cause I don't need more drones, lol. (do you need drone models? If so, there's a LOT that I never released. Doomed to never see the light of a forum post)

Reaction score
    That's cause I don't need more drones, lol. (do you need drone models? If so, there's a LOT that I never released. Doomed to never see the light of a forum post)
    undoubtedly. if anything, you need anti drone systems, if that's even possible.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Drones are also an anti-drone system.
    When we get a release version with rails and logic undocking reimplemented, drone R&D will reach a whole new level.

As for drones, I don't need a large array of blueprints. The same proven drone with different weapon systems is usually all you need, and I especially look forward to the update, because that is when non-cuboid drones loose at least the advantage of docking box filling.

Any drone technology based on the old docking modules will be outdated any moment now.

What I am considering is making a drone that has a super-compact "storage mode", but folds out into a winged more aesthetic construct with visible weaponry once launched. Yes, in fact, that is exactly what I am going to do.

Reaction score
    When we get a release version with rails and logic undocking reimplemented, drone R&D will reach a whole new level.

As for drones, I don't need a large array of blueprints. The same proven drone with different weapon systems is usually all you need, and I especially look forward to the update, because that is when non-cuboid drones loose at least the advantage of docking box filling.

Any drone technology based on the old docking modules will be outdated any moment now.

What I am considering is making a drone that has a super-compact "storage mode", but folds out into a winged more aesthetic construct with visible weaponry once launched. Yes, in fact, that is exactly what I am going to do.
    i've had ideas for racks that peel off of the ship like a bannana

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

Transformer drones, that would be awesome. I'll have to make one of my own as well, can't have the competition one-upping me as it were. ;)

On the note of having more drones, I tend to make several models but only use the best. As such you'll see most of my designs field the latest versions and the older ones sort of fall by the wayside. For instance I almost never use Kabutos anymore, Wisps/Dragonflys on the other hand run rampant about my shipyards picking off pirates from extreme range with equally extreme prejudice.

To sum it up, I have loads of drone types, but generally only field a couple except in rare circumstances. I'm sure keptick could flood the community content for days if he just posted all his old scrapped designs. :eek:

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    Question - is there a drone tutorial for the current version of StarMade, that will teach me how to launch a single drone from a single bay?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Question - is there a drone tutorial for the current version of StarMade, that will teach me how to launch a single drone from a single bay?
    To the best of my knowledge there's no video tutorials on such. I do recall at the first page of this thread keptick posted a rack that launched its own drones.

The basic premise is fairly simple though, undock your drone and then use either a logic circuit or some other method to fire a push beam at the drone. It should then fly out of the hangar or rack and proceed to kill stuff. :)

Now I think I should make a video series about drones. xP too bad im at work for the next 5 hours or I'd get systarted right away.

Reactions: Asvarduil

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    To the best of my knowledge there's no video tutorials on such. I do recall at the first page of this thread keptick posted a rack that launched its own drones.

The basic premise is fairly simple though, undock your drone and then use either a logic circuit or some other method to fire a push beam at the drone. It should then fly out of the hangar or rack and proceed to kill stuff. :)

Now I think I should make a video series about drones. xP too bad im at work for the next 5 hours or I'd get systarted right away.
    Please do, I'd look forward to it.

Really what I'm trying to build is a Distraction Swarm™. I want to be able to get to a Pirate station, get to one of the docks, and force my way in (I have no ship currently powerful enough to down a pirate station before it will call buddies who will force me to warp away.) I'm thinking a mobile drone base that throws a swam of about 8 drones out would be sufficient, so that I can launch my penetration vessel (a capsule with overdrive and advanced armor frontal hull) and reach their airlock/blast doors. From that point, it's all fun with warheads or repurposing the penetration vessel with a logic-driven auto-damage beam to eat the station shields. Such an attack would get me enough resources to start building larger ships - and, lots of drones - without having to do an excessive amount of mining.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold

Really what I'm trying to build is a Distraction Swarm™. I want to be able to get to a Pirate station, get to one of the docks, and force my way in (I have no ship currently powerful enough to down a pirate station before it will call buddies who will force me to warp away.) I'm thinking a mobile drone base that throws a swam of about 8 drones out would be sufficient, so that I can launch my penetration vessel (a capsule with overdrive and advanced armor frontal hull) and reach their airlock/blast doors. From that point, it's all fun with warheads or repurposing the penetration vessel with a logic-driven auto-damage beam to eat the station shields. Such an attack would get me enough resources to start building larger ships - and, lots of drones - without having to do an excessive amount of mining.
    Pirate stations only call in reinforcements when they are shot at, possibly only when blocks get destroyed (I'm not too sure since one-shot their shields all the time). So if you just tank the turrets without shooting it it'll be easier to achieve.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2

see keptick s chaff launcher idea. it should do exactly what you need it for. Sside from that it will depend upon the particular station what you're going to need to do to breach the doors. some are lightly shielded but others will take a capital ship to even scratch their regen. after that its all gravy.

Reactions: Asvarduil

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Speaking of chaff - once rails gets undocking we can have the most amazing chaff launchers ever. Docking them in an airtight space and using rotators to physically beat them out in random directions might be a good way to implement something similar with the new system.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Sounds like a good way to cause the server to crash whilst processing all the physics calculations of those collisions. :P

I've recently developed a corvette I intend to launch from carriers alongside regular drones/fighters. About 750 mass total. Has neat little turrets using the rail system too. We really need some way to undock from rails through logic now.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Sounds like a good way to cause the server to crash whilst processing all the physics calculations of those collisions. :p

I've recently developed a corvette I intend to launch from carriers alongside regular drones/fighters. About 750 mass total. Has neat little turrets using the rail system too. We really need some way to undock from rails through logic now.
    you can undock from rails now :). Connect an activator to a rail and it will undock the entity on it. I discovered that by accident, which was interesting. Unfortunately the docked items dont appear to retain their momentum yet though :/.

On an unrelated note, i've been following this thread intently and its got me worried :p. So much so that i'm looking at converting one of my ships into a purely anti-drone escort role (sorry boys), however anyone got any tips for turrets that are effect against drones? anything that packs enough punch AND spits out enough not to miss that often tends to be rather large, meaning the amount of targets engaged at once goes down. On the flip side, I could field loads of small turrets that would succeed in slightly angering the drones as opposed to doing actual damage :p. Oh and the solution needs to be fleet friendly :p

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    iceman6491 sorry, but drones were developed to specifically counter large ships with turrets :p
    There is no way except swarmers or a proper fleet made of multiple ships.