The ultimate drone R&D thread

Reaction score
    So, any test results for dockable armour-plate-drone-trigger-machineries?

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    More thoughts from the janitor:
    So we know that being shot completely resets jump-drive charge right? Does it still get reset if a docked entity is shot like a turret? because if it doesn't then docked armor plates suddenly become incredibly useful.

Reaction score
    Here is a thing I am thinking (strange, right?): Cores docked to turret dockers inside the ship. If i remember correctly, you can build into the turret area as long as the turret is smaller.

These docked cores then serve to confuse drones and lock-on systems, especially when build into relatively small sections (spires, "arms" and other exterior). Would help greatly against nukes i would imagine, since it might not lock on the main core, but some little spire far enough away from the core that it doesnt kill outright. Also, drones wouldnt tunnel to your main core, instead taking multiple ones under fire.

Reactions: PizzaPress
    Reaction score
    Here is something weird: I had a decrease in drone efficency due to the last patches... Seems like the turrets are targeting better (as in: not like dumb bricks). Can someone confirm that? (No changes to config).

Also, nekroing this awesome thread. Deal with it, mods! ;)

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Interesting, it means that drones can target things better too now :D

With turret settings now being saved in BPs having AMS turrets on drones is now viable. I'll have to try it out. A flock of drones all equipped with anti-missile turrets could even (in theory) counter swarm missiles! Oh the sweet, sweet tears >: D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    More thoughts from the janitor:
    So we know that being shot completely resets jump-drive charge right? Does it still get reset if a docked entity is shot like a turret? because if it doesn't then docked armor plates suddenly become incredibly useful.
    Actually, testing the other day revealed that getting shot up didn't affect the jump drive charge at all, so long as none of the drive's blocks are damaged or destroyed. Loss of shields, docked entities, and other components didn't remove the charge, and I could still jump away from the fight.

This thread has given me so many new ideas for drones. It is glorious.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Actually, testing the other day revealed that getting shot up didn't affect the jump drive charge at all, so long as none of the drive's blocks are damaged or destroyed. Loss of shields, docked entities, and other components didn't remove the charge, and I could still jump away from the fight.

This thread has given me so many new ideas for drones. It is glorious.
    Welcome to the drone club :D

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Welcome new members of the drone club! :D
    It is true turrets are more scary now. Yet our options have indeed become more numerous with turreted drones. keptick maybe the oblivion drone with both turrets swapped for AMC would be a nice starting point for anti-missile drone tech :)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I had an interesting thought for anti-drone/anti-missile drones: use a fighter sized craft with multiple turrets docked. Equip the turrets and base craft with combinations of rapid AMC, shotgun AMC, and beams. Deploy them in squadrons of 8 or so. It will give a reasonable number of maneuverable craft filling the sky with death, more fleet friendly than missile spam, providing both a missile defense screen and drone screen, distracting enemy craft and turrets. A player with a radar-jammed fighter/bomber would be hard to find in the mess, and ignored by all but turrets.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Nice idea. I personally like to fly fighters. Now this actually becomes worthwhile when you dispatch drones and dive into the chaos :D

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If only the shotgun pattern was decent (not 90% of the pellets going to the right), swarm missiles would be easier to counter.

Reaction score
    If only the shotgun pattern was decent (not 90% of the pellets going to the right), swarm missiles would be easier to counter.
    the chance of hitting a swarm missile with a shotgun is... lets just say, not great.

Still not sure about the targeting, it seems wrong, then its better the next moment, then the drones derp out and shoot each other (what the fuck happened there I do not know)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Nice read i had no time for efficiency testing so really liked to read up your research
    I am actually working on a Battle carrier holding 34 drones which are docked as ships with the ai setup to active... now my logic does two things give signal to the docking mount which makes them release anything that is docked and firing a beam push beam through the docking mount shoving them out of the bays. Depending on the main ships movement this can end up a little chaotic but it kinda like always worked.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Nice read i had no time for efficiency testing so really liked to read up your research
    I am actually working on a Battle carrier holding 34 drones which are docked as ships with the ai setup to active... now my logic does two things give signal to the docking mount which makes them release anything that is docked and firing a beam push beam through the docking mount shoving them out of the bays. Depending on the main ships movement this can end up a little chaotic but it kinda like always worked.
    That's exactly how the drone racks work ^_^. Well, apart from the rack part of course.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    There could always be decoy drones with an AI, made of "soft" hull, and filled with shield stuff and 1-3 thrusters to counter those anti-drone swarm missiles

Reaction score
    There could always be decoy drones with an AI, made of "soft" hull, and filled with shield stuff and 1-3 thrusters to counter those anti-drone swarm missiles
    we already did that stuff ;) Just metal cubes composed of cheap materials jettisoned towards the enemy. Confusing targeting systems, turrets, drones, even players. Works like a charm.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Oh yes, the fabled chaff drones :D you can have extreme amounts of them due to their small size (with overlapping docking areas). 64- racks work well to confuse medium sized ships and their turret arrays.

Reaction score
    You know, the new economy system is both good and bad for drones.

You always have losses, even against smaller ships, so replenishing your swarm after each attack takes resources. So the enemy will most likely not lose a ship without doing some damage against you (think multiple swarm missile systems).
    On the other side though, drones are dirt cheap and really cost efficent, so the economy works in their favour right now I think.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Drones are economically viable when you have a mass production industry going to produce all of your frequently needed blocks, and you roughly use the same blocks on your ships. However, unlike the negigible credit costs before, it now requires crafting of alot of weapon computers per firepower (since, lets say every single 100 mass drone needs 3 computers + faction module + bobby AI). I have not enough practical experience with the new system to evaluate if the constant need to produce computers can be a nuisance.

However, another problem for very small groups right now is that large ships are not affordable (because of the danger of loss), and it requires fairly large ships to draw advantages from drone technology, since drones need a certain count to have the swarm effect kick in. This is even more true of anti missile drones*.

*BTW I ran some tests on anti missile drones. Tiny tiny drones with a dual barrel 100% cannon/cannon. They are far less effective than I originally thought (might just have been the test, but well) :/ The problem is that good PD turret arrays work by having alot of close turrets firing nearly directly at the incoming missile, while any orthogonal hitting shot will very likely miss the missile. Drones, being spread out quite some after a short while, will not be able to provide the local density of PD turrets. They serve more of a "chaff" purpose though, as they can very well "consume" one wave of heatseakers or player fired guided torpedoes (causing them to overheat), which is especially valuable against nukes (preventing an effect on the mothership), and their erratic firing-everywhere will draw the anger of a good number of AI opponents (turrets) as long as they are alive.

keptick how is the status quo on skoomdrone launcher tubes? I might get around to testing a multi-fire design today, if it even works in the slightest.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    so far my results from doing noncreative production runs;

mass amounts of weapons computers- neglible impact, they use the same resources as thier actual weapons blocks. once up and running its a minor cost difference.

effect computers however are much more annoying to mass produce. they often require odd combinations of materials to create and require you to search all over for additional resources. should the player have a massively well established production lineup this isnt such a big deal, but its certainly not a cheap thing. In light of this, I will probably be updating all my drones to become cheaper.