The ultimate drone R&D thread

Reaction score
    Put when the turret points towards it, isnt it already kind of.... close for a radar? You can practically kiss the pilot at that point already and the ship will also turn up on your hud.

Thalanor

CEO Snataris Colonial Fleetyards
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I would have liked a radar that can activate logic :) Must be filed as "does not work" though.

Reaction score
    This thread has given me a plethora of ideas for rack deployed weaponry. I'll post some pics and things once I get around to arming the ship I'm working on.

In regards to the original question: Seems like a drone carrier might be the most viable role for a big ship at the moment.

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I will be testing an "everything" - ship under field conditions when it is ready (possibly some weeks still). Had a plan I sticked to but then I read this thread, and just HAD to extend everything for a drone bay :D
    Let's see how it works out in practice to mix drones with conventional anticap weaponry. I'd love to see someones drone megacarrier with rack technology though :D

Reaction score
    I am sure at least one drone will fly right into the anticap weapon and just disappear instantly....

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    you can use 2 structures - station + planet? (for the detection of turret turning with enemies)

But I don't see a point in having a drone rack idling in space when you can also have 24 ships idling in space.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    But I don't see a point in having a drone rack idling in space when you can also have 24 ships idling in space.
    It's quicker to set all the faction modules, then activate all the AIs as you can quickly switch to the next ship on the rack with the up/down arrows then use the structure tab from the rack once you've been through them all.

Not to mention the 8 second spawn delay.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    you can use 2 structures - station + planet? (for the detection of turret turning with enemies)

The rack is meant for use on ships. Although I'd still use one if I wanted to simply have a drone cloud (near my base for example) since it's much faster to spawn in and faction a single entity then it is to do with 22 :P

Reactions: Creeper__God

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    @keptick I sure hope that you'll have a gigantonormous ammo storage hangar in your base filled with drone rack rack racks.
    Because that's the only true way to show off military assets :p

And for ammo restocking purposes, all one needs to do is buy one gigantic standardized drone rack shipping container, and move it home with a gigantic standardized container ship (I just realized I should start creating that for my little fleet..)

Reaction score
    Dont mess with those containers, people, you dont want to let out what is in there.... Queue 2000 drones flying into the face of an attacker...

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Pirate 1: "Oh look, a fat industrial ship"
    Pirate 2: "No turrets..."
    Pirate 1: "No weapons either! Let's blast this whale out of the sector!"
    Pirate 2: aaaaaaction stations action stations, set condition--
    Pirate 1 (in core): *pew*
    [lag intensifies]

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    Pirate 1: "Oh look, a fat industrial ship"
    Pirate 2: "No turrets..."
    Pirate 1: "No weapons either! Let's blast this whale out of the sector!"
    Pirate 2: aaaaaaction stations action stations, set condition--
    Pirate 1 (in core): *pew*
    [lag intensifies]
    pirate 2: uh... is it spilling oil?
    Pirate 1: Oil can't self propel around space you know.
    Pirate 2: Shut up and watch! It's coming towards us...
    Pirate 1: That's not oil... that's
    Pirate 1 & 2: DROOOOOOOOOONES!!!!

*roadrunner-like escape, with space dust in the previous location of the pirates*

Reactions: Thalanor

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If you can see the swarm.... then the swarm can see you. (Although not technically, and their weapons not necessarily :p)
    Also I want to wander around a large hall full of drone racks. The sight.

Reaction score
    That drone container would eat a multiple 1000s of blocks big missile/pulse combo with explosive effect... Should take care of most of those drones if he hasnt disgorged them yet.

Thats by the way a problem with drone ships: If they get hit in the right spot with a big enough AOE weapon, you will loose drones and maybe the entire rack in a single hit. Know your enemy and if he uses such a weapon.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    That drone container would eat a multiple 1000s of blocks big missile/pulse combo with explosive effect... Should take care of most of those drones if he hasnt disgorged them yet.

Thats by the way a problem with drone ships: If they get hit in the right spot with a big enough AOE weapon, you will loose drones and maybe the entire rack in a single hit. Know your enemy and if he uses such a weapon.
    Doesn't the new change to missile damage prevent things behind walls getting damaged by missiles? or is that JUST players who are protected by it?

Reaction score
    It would seem prudent for a drone carrier to launch atleast most of their racks as soon as being engaged in combat, mostly because of such a threat.
    I'm not sure if racks in closed hangars will be protected from damage that doesn't penetrate the motherships shields, but it would make sense for it not to. Especially with the bug that had players inside closed structures dying to missile aoe fixed.

I would also like to remind that point-defense turrets are a thing now ;)

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ye, while I have logic to make the rack eject drones on damage, even that can be easily destroyed in one swoop and most of all, it requires a hit to take place (which will already kill off most drones on one side). So pushing out the minions is definitely priority number one (and if you are lucky they get the attention of some big turrets before the ship does :) ).

Reaction score
    Just remember to push the drones out quickly, as even a hit close to them might cripple your little swarm substantially. And i think that things behind shielded walls are safe, but i dont have a wall thats shielded enough to withstand a hit from my corvette to test it.....

Thalanor

Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    If I am not mistaken, after unloading all drones the main ship might be slightly lighter w.r.t. agility. Even though it is not much, it is a slight boost in maneuverability, and at the same time the drones are already offering protection. Much better start into a fight; and if the main ship has high alpha damage weaponry, you can use that first and let it recharge while all drones are being ejected :D
    Missile drones on a ship with heavy ion weaponry seem to be quite viable.

Reactions: Keptick

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    If I am not mistaken, after unloading all drones the main ship might be slightly lighter w.r.t. agility. Even though it is not much, it is a slight boost in maneuverability, and at the same time the drones are already offering protection. Much better start into a fight; and if the main ship has high alpha damage weaponry, you can use that first and let it recharge while all drones are being ejected :D
    Missile drones on a ship with heavy ion weaponry seem to be quite viable.
    Killing the enemies shields with a high alpha ion weapon and then unleashing the drones?

THAT'S JUST SOOOOOOOOO EVIL!!! I'm totally doing that.

Last edited: