The Solar Threat

Reaction score
    As I was casually cruising past the seventy-first star on my galactic trip from spawn to home base, I noticed that I had jumped in too close to the star, and therefore suffered minor heat damage before swiftly jumping away in a secondary jump drive. This experience disturbed me a bit as my ship had not warned me of the danger I was going to be in beforehand.
    As a solution to this very issue, I propose that a revamp on the standard ship core's heat intensity indicator be put into the works immediately! I would also propose that hull armor come standard with insulation to prevent the inner workings of ships to be damaged, and improved heat-resistant plating to prevent the hull from cracking and melting too quickly when solar radiation poses a true threat to my vessel's well-being.

In a rather abridged version, I would like the "heat intensity" indicator to appear when the intensity is below 80%, rather than giving a sudden "hey, you know your ship's melting, right?" when you're too close to a star. The other suggestion was that instead of random blocks receiving simultaneous damage from heat, outer blocks would receive damage first before blocks that are not exposed to the threat of radiation.

One other comment I must make, and it shall be my last for this post, is that shields should be able to deflect heat, shouldn't they? They seem to do just fine against missiles that could put gaping holes in a ship faster than the heat of stars, so why not have them combat solar radiation better?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Ι suggest checking your path before starting to warp just to see if you're passing through any suns. I agree with your suggestions and i would like to see a warning pop up if you're about to jump inside a sun.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Heat Danger warning? Check.
    Directional solar damage? Check.
    Radiation Armor? Check.
    Shields protecting from solar radiation? Check.
    Yup, I support everything here. Maybe also more gradual damage, and more valuable asteroids spawning there, so that people would have to use specific ships to mine stuff from star's vicinity.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I would also agree - the suggestions provided seem reasonable and shouldn't be too hard to add, while noticeably help with the experience of any player regularly risking heat damage.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    Ι suggest checking your path before starting to warp just to see if you're passing through any suns. I agree with your suggestions and i would like to see a warning pop up if you're about to jump inside a sun.

This can be a problem when plotting paths between galaxys

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    The gap between galaxies is null sectors, the worst thing that can happen is that you can jump in a pirate station.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    The gap between galaxies is null sectors, the worst thing that can happen is that you can jump in a pirate station.
    He's talking about before you leave and while you are going into galaxies not the null spaces between them. If the path is long enough you are going to be more worried about getting there and less about what is in the way. I've jumped into blackholes before, cores of stars and almost materialized within a pirate station on several occasions.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    Well just check the path again. A good example is Star Wars, the computer has to calculate the path before jumping so you don't end up inside a Star or a blackhole. This could work in Starmade.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Well the problem is that computer knows where you are and calculates the way to your waypoint, it just ignores suns and other minor issues.

Of course there's blind jumpimg but that's not used when traveling to a spesific destination.

StormWing0

Leads the Storm
    Reaction score
    Blind jumping is very dangerous though I've ended up in more stars and stations than I care to keep track of with that. It's a bad case of out of one firing pan and into another hotter one most times. XD